Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Always die in first fight in Adventurer...  (Read 1065 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Always die in first fight in Adventurer...
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »

In adventure mode I can be a demigod, find the corpse of my previous demigod, pick up his equipment and equip all of them, and still die in my first battle.
Most recent of these was when I, being idled, fashioned some sharp stones. Two men came at me a Macedwarf and a MasterLasher. I threw a stone and it sturck the macedwarf in the head (which surprised me since I never assumed it was a real attack, just sort of waiting for the dudes to draw closer) and the stone broke his spine, and the guy crumples in a heap on the ground. The master lasher gets to me, hits me and misses 3 times. I miss him 3 times. And then he does like 3 rapid attacks in the span of one turn and basically cripple-kills me, causing to fall to the ground, drop everything that was on the left side of my body, and then striking me down.

A demigod.

Useless.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Always die in first fight in Adventurer...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:39:20 pm »

training beats talent. What skills did you get for your demi-god, did you bother to train a little bit on wild animals first, etc etc. Just because you're very fast, strong and tough, undwarvenly so doesn't mean you're invincible
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:10:56 pm »

I only played Adventurer a few times, but you need to have Social Awareness so that you can get people to join you. Meat shields.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:17:13 pm »

yeah, that too, get some people to join you, preferably with better equipment than you (they'll die eventually and you can get at it)

there is a forum dedicated to adventure mode btw, check it out for stories, tips and people who play it regularly

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=12.0
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:58:38 pm »

What's your normal build?
What are you fighting?
What equipment did you loot from your last adventurer?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »

Adventurers dying is not unusual. You might like to try finding some small wild animals, and attacking them until you get good at fighting. Don't immediately try to fight soldiers, and don't try to fight large animals like yaks for example. Soldiers will rapidly kill you, and large animals will knock you down and kill you.

You have to start off slow. Throwing things is a good idea, and sneaking around is another good idea.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »

Usually I put points in Kinesthetic and Spatial senses, one in both endurance and toughness, and the rest in STR and AGIL. I usually do a lot in Armor use, one in swimming, a bunch in dodging and fighting, and a couple in spear usage.

It's what I saw in a tutorial.

So start slow? Okay I'll try it.

How do you get more food and water? I saw a well, was able to lower and raise the bucket, but I couldn't actually check the bucket for water. And if my guy is hungry and thirsty, I usually can only replenish one or the other before he's full, and he remains either hungry or thirsty.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 12:17:27 pm »

I'd like to throw in a REALLY noobish question (I haven't played adventurer yet). Is combat turn-based, or like the arena mode? If it's not, then I'll be in trouble. I always die on the arena, since attacking is so damn weird.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:18:19 pm »

if you're near a village they usually got berries and stuff in bags in the houses. As long as it's not a shop, noone will get angry. If you practice fighting on animals, you can butcher them if you have a sharp weapon (spear, dagger, sword, axe, and some others). Things like sweatbread, liver and such things are actually lighter than meat, so to be prefered. For water, if you go for a swim and climb out you can drink the water from yourself no problem ((e) and scroll way down). You can only drink or eat 3 things every time. Every 1 tile you fast travel lets you do so again I think, so it shouldn't be a problem

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:20:24 pm »

I'd like to throw in a REALLY noobish question (I haven't played adventurer yet). Is combat turn-based, or like the arena mode? If it's not, then I'll be in trouble. I always die on the arena, since attacking is so damn weird.
think of it as fort mode, paused and '." to advance one action, but now it's everything happens, then you get an action, everything happens, etc

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 12:28:39 pm »

Ok. I'd suppose that hits can be aimed at specific parts? (Without some kind of aiming system, hydras may be very fun).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 12:42:33 pm »

Yeah you got me stumped. did you do any tutorial at all? shift A does an aimed attack (iirc)

for targets: leg, arm, arm head

drop him to slow down, disable weapon (or shield), disable shield (or weapon), kill
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:44:52 pm by Garath »

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »

Ok, it's just that arena mode doesn't show any commands.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 12:46:24 pm »

Ok, it's just that arena mode doesn't show any commands.

arena mode is like a testing area. Forget most of it when playing the game

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 12:54:28 pm »

So far so good. Figured out how to fill a waterskin (never lived long enough to try before). Been forced to drink the blood of wolverines for I am lost in the mountains and all the water is frozen. Can make a campfire and "heat" butchered meat, but not actually cook it. Not that that seems to matter.
Pages: [1] 2