Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Several Questions  (Read 1192 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Several Questions
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:12:26 am »

1) Usually when my military kills a animal it gets hauled in a butchered.  But my militia pummelled a squad of grey langurs and the corpses are just sitting there rotting.  Not being hauled to the butchery.  Not being hauled to the corpse stockpile.  I've checked through the (o)rders screen, but haven't seen anything that accounts for this.

2)I have a stockpile for corpses and body parts and a different one for shells, hoofs, horns and teeth.  Why are dingo teeth in the first stockpile?

3)To use local ore and to train a weapsonsmith, I am making silver weapons for export.  I know value is determined by material value and by craftsmanship, but are all weapons worth the same base amount?  I couldn't find a speadsheet on the wiki.  If they are different, which is most valuable?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Several Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:22:01 am »

1: do you have a butcher and a kitchen, accidentally forbid anything or actually have a dwarf with butchery still enabled? I'm assuming it'll be yes, no, yes, but have to ask, since you didn't mention this.

2: The usual teeth are ivory things. These teeth are from being knocked out of the mouth, severed you could say, and probably count as a body part, not teeth. I'm guessing though.

3: Actually, my advise is to make bolts. If you set up a marksdwarf squad they'll need a lot of bolts anyway so it's good training for the weapon smith AND good for your fort. I don't know if any weapon is more valuable, except that trap components are more valuable than most normal weapons.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:26:26 am »

1: do you have a butcher and a kitchen, accidentally forbid anything or actually have a dwarf with butchery still enabled? I'm assuming it'll be yes, no, yes, but have to ask, since you didn't mention this.

Yup, all those are functional.  I've forbidden and unforbidden the bodies to see if that helps.  I've had some bodies gathered, but others just sit.  It might be that I kill a whole nest at one time.

"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:30 pm »

If those monkeys stole an item, and its sitting on top the corpse in same block, that might prohibit pickup.  *shrug*  Something to check, not sure if its an issue, but its something to check. 

Another thing to check is to make sure that the stockpile where you want to haul the monkey, is not full.  There is also a problem with job priorities.  In my embark right now, I have 12 dwarfs, 3 hunters, and only 5 haulers, I don't think they got to the dead badgers, laying around the place.

Unlike hunters, I don't think soldiers take the time to haul there kills back.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:40:17 pm »

I had some dead Kea men/women lying just outside my fort entrance for over a year. I thought it was a bug and was going to ask here, but then suddenly they got picked up and were thrown into the refuse stockpile. As knutor says, it has probably something to do with job priorities.
DF: where imagination beats animation

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:17:27 pm »

I've checked through the (o)rders screen, but haven't seen anything that accounts for this.
(o)rders, (r)efuse as well? You've said that they hauled stuff in before this, but maybe you accidently turned off refuse collection from outside?

If they are different, which is most valuable?
Serrated discs or spiked balls.

There's a list of everything here.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:31:49 pm »

I've checked all the orders and refuse.  I think it might just be too many things to do--although I could find and hauling tasks in the (j)obs menu.

There's a list of everything here.

Thanks for the link!  I didn't think to look for that page.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:51:02 pm »

there is another thing to be considered with corpses. If the corpse is so small it won't produce anything except a skull possibly, so no meat or skin, it won't be taken to a butcher automatically. I'm not saying it's the case now, but it's possible.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »

2: The usual teeth are ivory things. These teeth are from being knocked out of the mouth, severed you could say, and probably count as a body part, not teeth. I'm guessing though.

I did some testing and it seems these are considered body parts, not ivory.  I've tried to make ivory/teeth crafts and it ignores them.  Good to know--now I can dump them and clear up some stockpile space.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:07:49 pm »

I think it might just be too many things to do--although I could find and hauling tasks in the (j)obs menu.
Try turning off the major time-sink hauling jobs on a couple of dwarves. The big offenders are usually stone and wood, since those need to be brought in from scattered locations. If you have a backlog of hauling tasks your new corpse collectors might decide to haul food and thread and bins that are almost full of armour but have room for a couple pieces more, and if that happens just skip to disabling everything but refuse collection.

Or you could go into the orders screen and switch off whichever 'dwarves collect [whatever]' option is occupying your time, and flash through the units screen and remove all the 'Store Item in Stockpile' jobs so they move onto something else.

Or you could order the corpses dumped onto a tile in a stockpile that'll take them, if you're not in the middle of a mass dumping. Dumping has quite a high priority.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 03:17:36 pm »

I did some testing and it seems these are considered body parts, not ivory.  I've tried to make ivory/teeth crafts and it ignores them.  Good to know--now I can dump them and clear up some stockpile space.

I've seen some "teeth are being ignored for ivory crafting" threads, so I was pre-informed

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:31:27 pm »

3)To use local ore and to train a weapsonsmith, I am making silver weapons for export.  I know value is determined by material value and by craftsmanship, but are all weapons worth the same base amount?  I couldn't find a speadsheet on the wiki.  If they are different, which is most valuable?
I think they are worth different amounts. To maximize the value, you should carefully look at the trade agreement with the liaison to see which things they want to buy. They can easily pay double for something they want, so that's what you probably should sell them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 07:30:33 am »

I've seen some "teeth are being ignored for ivory crafting" threads, so I was pre-informed

The problem isn't that they're made out of tooth, or that they're body parts. The problem is that they're freakin' monkey teeth! They're too SMALL to make stuff out of.

I think they are worth different amounts. To maximize the value, you should carefully look at the trade agreement with the liaison to see which things they want to buy. They can easily pay double for something they want, so that's what you probably should sell them.
I think steel is more valuable than silver, but of course you want to save steel for home. Large silver serrated discs are good exportin'.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.