Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: undeletable file  (Read 1341 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
undeletable file
« on: October 14, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

Sorry to post this here but I am confused:
I just downloaded some DF utilities (never tried them) and made a new directory for DF, and unzipped the tools there. The I unzipped DFutility and found out it had all the .exe files included.
So I started deleting the other files. Succesfully. Where it not that I'm now stuck with reveal.exe in my new dwarf directory.

If I try to delete it, I get the Windows message: "cannot delete file. It is currently being used by another process. Close all programs and try again" (translated from Dutch)

I've rebooted and there is no change. Still can't delete it. Tried in DOS. No effect. There are no active programs running, and a lot of background processes. Don't see any unusual but here I'm not the expert.
What is this? Could it be a Windows problem that I was rather speedily clicking and tapping ? (I might have led reveal.exe while another delete action was still in process)
I'm clueless. Any suggestions anybody
?

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: undeletable file
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »

Have you checked that it isn't a read-only file in properties? That might stop it from being deleted. Otherwise, try running it. That'll let us know if it is actually there, or if windows just thinks it is. If it doesn't work, windows might delete the entry itself. My two pence, anyway.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »

It's actually a ghost file. It is 0 kb. It's only the name that's left, the contents HAVE been deleted. And.. If Windows were do delete it itself, wouldn't it have done so at reboot? Other than that, I also tried a running the hard-disk cleaning action from the start>>acessories menu. That didn't clean it up either.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 08:33:00 pm »

I'm afraid I don't know then. You try googling for an answer? And I guess if it's 0kb, it shouldn't be worth worrying too much about.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TotalPigeon:
<STRONG>I guess if it's 0kb, it shouldn't be worth worrying too much about.</STRONG>

LOL!
:confused:

Try Ctrl + Alt + Del, Processes tab, find it, End process.  Delete the offending file.

Also, if that doesn't work, try shutting down your anti-virus software via End process.  It could be that your virus scanner is scanning that file when you try to delete it.

[ October 14, 2007: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 03:27:00 am »

If you're still worried about it, I'd recommend running scandisk--check your hard drive for errors.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 03:34:00 am »

You need Process Explorer. I don't remember where to get it, but once you have it, you can search for handles in all active processes and close any handles that involve your target file without completely crashing the process. I've stopped Explorer bugs with damaged AVI files (where it tries to make a preview shot, but cant, slows everything down, and refuses to let me delete the file) that way, as well as some weird files that I tried to delete but something was using them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

McMoop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:48:00 am »

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

a utility that can usually fix these sort of problems

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 10:54:00 am »

undeleteable programs (spyware included (NETMEETING TOO!!!))

go to folder/file

rclick->properties
goto SECURITY tab
DISALLOW "SYSTEM" as a user, but do NOT disallow "administrator" (or whatever your local equivalent is)
reboot
now, since the program CANNOT run, you can delete it safely!

I got rid of netmeeting this way! (try to delete it normally, and keep hitting refresh on the folder and watch the files mysteriously come back!).

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>You need Process Explorer. I don't remember where to get it</STRONG>
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

Garry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Sorry to post this here but I am confused:
I just downloaded some DF utilities (never tried them) and made a new directory for DF, and unzipped the tools there. The I unzipped DFutility and found out it had all the .exe files included.
So I started deleting the other files. Succesfully. Where it not that I'm now stuck with reveal.exe in my new dwarf directory.

If I try to delete it, I get the Windows message: "cannot delete file. It is currently being used by another process. Close all programs and try again" (translated from Dutch)

I've rebooted and there is no change. Still can't delete it. Tried in DOS. No effect. There are no active programs running, and a lot of background processes. Don't see any unusual but here I'm not the expert.
What is this? Could it be a Windows problem that I was rather speedily clicking and tapping ? (I might have led reveal.exe while another delete action was still in process)
I'm clueless. Any suggestions anybody?</STRONG>

HA FAIL!

code:

FfF....A......i..l......!!
F.....A.A.....I..l......!!
fF...AAAAA....I..l......!1
f...A.....A...I..l........
F..A.......A..I..Lllll..!!

>[ October 17, 2007: Message edited by: Garry ]
uh duh duh- duh duh!
(That''s BATMAN THEAM, dummy!)

Garry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »

Sorry...
uh duh duh- duh duh!
(That''s BATMAN THEAM, dummy!)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 11:54:00 pm »

The spam-goblins have unleashed quite a troll.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 04:52:00 am »

Thanks for all the help people!
And Garry for the encouragement  :p !

Finally, I've managed to get rid of the ghost.
It took me three holy incantations of reboot and indeed, a turn undead spell on my virusscanner.