Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speedy massacre (A tutorial how-to for quickly killing things...quickly.)  (Read 5028 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Want to know how to easily and quickly kill foes? Always dying? Never fear! Help is here!
I've noticed that the following method kills anything living in around five hits.I am excellent at 1v1 combat, but not at group combat.
1)Sneak up on foe, strangle
2)Strangle till foe passes out
3)Stab foe in the throat
4)BITE OUT THE EYES!!
5)Feel satisfied.

ITT: We share methods from 1v1 combat to 1v150 combat.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile

For groups I use aimed attacks at the legs and feet. If you get a good hit in they won't be able to stand. Then you can out run them to go do the same thing to the rest. Then just pick them off as you will. The only problem with this is that bow/crossbow users can still kill you at range, so it is a good idea to break their arms too.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Blunt attacks, even using the flat side or pommel of a bladed weapon, tend to break bones. This causes pain, which generally cause things which feel pain and are not undead (including you) to pass out within a few turns. I made a warlord (albeit, not a very good one) pass out on the same turn I shattered his hand.

Free hit on any part of the body while they're down! If you're in a hurry, take off/smash in that head. Otherwise, feel free to break every joint with wrestling! Then see how many body parts you can pinch off before they bleed to death.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Step 1: Sneak.
Step 2: Hit things until they die.
Step 3: Find a mummy.
Step 4: Hit things until they die again.

Repeat as needed for maximum satisfaction.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so: the best thing to start with in this game, is hammer/mace/axe, crossbow, knapper and wrestler?

Mataku

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

The trick to speedy combat is the type of weapon on the enemy you fight. Generaly beings that can feel pain and have blood and can bleed are quite easily dispatched. The other rule is, if it can't bleed, smash it to bits. Colosuses for example need to be cut apart or smashed apart, a axe or blunt instrument works.
These methods are active close combat, no sneaking, no ranged attacks, just brutal mortal combat.

1.Method on anthropod with light armour (cloth,leather) and unarmored fleshy foes (most animals):
   Weapon to use: sword or axe , high shear yield (steel, iron, bronze, adamantium).

Disable by cutting off a lower extremity and cut off the weapon arm, stab into the upper or lower body, move onto next target. (3 turns minimum)
   If time is of the essence, cut off weapon arm and move to next target, enemy will usualy run away bleeding and collapse. (1 turn minimum)

2. Method on heavily armoured anthropod (chain, plate, chittin).
   Weapon to use: warhammer, mace, maul  with high density and plastic deformity capabilites (silver, steel)

Disable by hitting outer extremities and causing plastic deformity on the armour and bones. Once the bones go, enemy colapses from pain sooner or later. (3-5 turns minimum).
   If time is of the essence, hit weapon arm or hand or a easily hitable part, once your victim is screaming in pain, go for vital parts, like head or chest, turning organs into mush (2 hits, 2 turns), move to next enemy.

3. undead and zombies
  Weapons to use: blunt weapons as mentioned in section 2 and cutting weapons to remove body parts.

Don't davdle, remove a lower extremity, so it is slower, then start smashing the head in till it's mush. If thing keeps moving, go for the necromancer responsible.

piercing is innefective, because the organs are not responding to trauma, since they are dead, removal and blunt force only work.

4. Group fight against pack animals (wolves, coyotes, boogeymen.)

Move as much as possible away from the swarm and attack only one on one, disable as mentioned in section one then move away when the rest of the swarm gets closer, repeat ad adendum until the group is disabled and routed, running away and bleeding.

Night creature fighting is mostly running away and doing quick slashes and hits, then continuing to run. If boogeymen swarm you... it's over, they will beat you to death. It is very effective to use charging as a default attack, though use it sparringly and change accordingly on the location.

5. fighting against ranged fighters (crossbowmen, bowmen).

Take cover behind trees, if that's not possible, look for lower elevations or if you are really in the poop, throw yourself on the ground. High shield or dodge skill is very important and archers and crossbowmen hit prone targets harder.

going into sneaking if it's possible will make it easier to run up to the archer, otherwise, use trees as cover and run from tree to tree.

When you are in close combat range, disable archer by cutting off weapon arm where the bow/crossbow is held, for added satisfaction, cut off both arms just for him being a ranged fighter. Move on to next target, archer will bleed out. (1+1 bonus turn).

Another method is to grab the bow with wrestling and wrestle it away from the archer, then stab enemy into upper body, disabling him with a low cut of the legs and letting him bleed out, move on to next target. (3 turns).

These combat techniques are mostly meant for quick effective fighting and disabling against larger groups of enemies, goal is to disable and move on. If the enemy doesn't have a weapon and is bleeding out, you have won that fight.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a lot of good tips but there are some bits a think are wrong

5. fighting against ranged fighters (crossbowmen, bowmen).
 if that's not possible, look for lower elevations or if you are really in the poop, throw yourself on the ground. High shield or dodge skill is very important and archers and crossbowmen hit prone targets harder.
use trees as cover and run from tree to tree.

never lie down as it will cut your speed to a 1/3 so 3X the number of shots, speed is the key to limt the number of times you get shoot at.

pro tip use a mine cart if you can get one
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(...)

never lie down as it will cut your speed to a 1/3 so 3X the number of shots, speed is the key to limt the number of times you get shoot at.

pro tip use a mine cart if you can get one

Not only that, but all attacks (even ranged ones!!!) get a damage bonus on prone targets. Arena-tested (attacks that never penetrated skin while standing, always did while prone).

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and there is bonus to hit for melee attacks
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shields(not bucklers unless its your only option) are your best friend against ranged attacks. Quality or material doesn't matter for blocking(its a value in the item raws), only bashing.

Even better, though, are meatshields. Enemies tend to shoot at what's closer to them, so let your comapnions run up front.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like standard skirmisher tactics --
* don't get surrounded
* incapacitate/mission kill and move on
* hit the flanks
* if its a fair fight, you screwed up somewhere

:D

(and in case someone didn't know, "mission kill" just means "out of the fight", not necessarily dead)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

1. Punch, stab, hack, slice, scratch, kick, strike, bash, smash, hit, hit with the pommel, shoot and any other trick in the bag you can find - targeting the upper body.

Bruise, break, tear or rupture the lungs.

2. There is no step 2, you've already done it.

It's very rewarding as an unarmed elite wrestler to punch someone in the upper body once, walk away calmly and see them suffocate a few ticks later.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile

I usually do combat like this:

1. Walk up to an enemy (obvious step, none of you list it!)
2. Target their weapon arm
3. Get them unconscious somehow (if they haven't already from having their weapon arm shattered)
4. Headshot them
5. Lather, rinse, and repeat for any other enemy

Or, with my ninja-bowman adventurers from good ol' 31.25:

1. Start {S}neaking
2. Hide behind a tree
3. Snipe the bandit(s); my shots almost always chipped a bone, causing unconsciousness 2-3 turns later
4. Walk up to them, and slit (stab) their throat with the starting copper dagger

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The honourable lungburst warrior has no need for this. The honourable lungburst warrior can wait for his enemies to walk to their doom, or snipe their lungs from afar using the noble method of throwing or shooting.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile

The honourable lungburst warrior has no need for this. The honourable lungburst warrior can wait for his enemies to walk to their doom, or snipe their lungs from afar using the noble method of throwing or shooting.
What if said enemies were archers that counter-sniped said honourable lungburst warrior?
Pages: [1] 2