Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gray Langur's are better thieves than kobolds and I want to make them evaporate  (Read 5329 times)

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile

(AKA what wild animals do you hate?)

So I'm a lazy one and don't bother making a stockpile for the cloth I buy from the first dwarvern caravan that comes along. I leave it out in the snow at the depot. Suddenly lo and behold some Gray Langurs come sweeping in and steal half of it! It's not the first time this has happened, this tends to happen to me a lot. But because of this I've developed a strong hatred for the critters. I'm finding it hard to stop myself from setting their boiling point to 0.

What creatures do you hate?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile

Kea Men.  They steal stuff, and they can fly.  Enough said.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile

BADGERS

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

BOGEYMEN
Probably wrong mode, but still.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile

Alligators.

Urist McSwordsdwarf is fighting!  The alligator bites the Swordsdwarf on the head.  The alligator shakes the Swordsdwarf by the head!  The severed part flies off in an arc.

I like embarks at the head of a stream, since it gives all those Armokforsaken Fisherdwarves that always come migrating in something to do.  And I think it looks pretty.  Alligators are usually on the embark when we arrive.  I also like to embark with someone with combat skills and teacher skills so I have some defensive capability.  Alligator + active military dwarf = combat.  Alligators always win these battles.  Every. Stinking. Time. 

F--k alligators.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(AKA what wild animals do you hate?)
Anything that can both fly and steal my shit. If they come in animal men forms, even worse. If they come as animal men zombies, I just sit there frothing at the mouth.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:55:23 am by Friendstrange »

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cave Crocodiles
Keas in all their appearances
Raven

That's all.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

Kea Men. Like a goddamn plague.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... What did the title just say?

I am going to excint those damned Gray Langurs. I am going to kill them all.

I reeeeeeally hate giant sponges.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile

Rhesus Macques. Macaques. Monkeys.

All seven of my dorfs were busy after embark. My miner was mining, my mason was masoning, my jeweller was jewellering, the woodcutter was woodcuttering, the carpenter was carpentering, my fisherdwarf was fishing, but my hunter was apparently standing around somewhere watching the grass grow.

They stole my fucking anvil.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile

I'm with Corai.
They only have one body part, body.
no bones, no brain, nothing. And no matter how much you cut it up, it manages to rip your head off.

I've had them kill a titan before,
A TITAN!

... maybe if i  poisoned them?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Macaque(sp?) or whatever they are called.

Having not read anything about training or any such thing, I'm trying to train three Grey Langur's right now since my cage traps caught them. I figure it's better than waiting for a caravan to trade them and wasting the cage.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm with Corai.
They only have one body part, body.
no bones, no brain, nothing. And no matter how much you cut it up, it manages to rip your head off.

I've had them kill a titan before,
A TITAN!

... maybe if i  poisoned them?
Not that it will make you feel any better, but the giant sponge man in the river of my last (now fallen) fortress was trivially killed during midwinter.  The river froze.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

They stole my fucking anvil.
This is why I build the forge ASAP. Always.

You could protect other items by modding them in as items for buildings. Think of it as jamming the pick or axe into the ground so hard that thieves can't dislodge it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

GIANT grey Langur's.  Not only do they steal your shit, but they will also kill your dwarves while they're at it.   And then steal the socks off that dwarf.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: [1] 2