Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the point of a dormitory?  (Read 2326 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the point of a dormitory?
« on: June 29, 2012, 03:59:04 am »

Dormitories apparently don't give happy bedroom-y thoughts, so why create them?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point of a dormitory?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 04:04:44 am »

What is the point of all those cheap stuffs when you have gems and addies?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 04:14:30 am »

They are useful until you can make lots of bedrooms. It's better than sleeping on the floor.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:54 am »

Dorms as well as making the beds freely available (which beds are anyway be default), also makes dwarves without a bed, sleep on the floor of the dorm. This way you want have dwarves sleeping in random places. Not that it really matters either way, but that's how it works.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:32 am »

"Not that it really matters either way?" You've never had a miner fall asleep in front of an angry giant badger have you? (Or in an aquifer-draining tunnel...or outside in an evil area...or...)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:09:28 am »

"Not that it really matters either way?" You've never had a miner fall asleep in front of an angry giant badger have you? (Or in an aquifer-draining tunnel...or outside in an evil area...or...)

how did you get a giant badger down in the mines?  :P

but yeah, that is a reason. I usually have a dormitory in the beginning, but if my metal industry is down a long way, I usually make extra bedrooms (smiths and smelters get assigned a 2nd one there) but also a dormitory for haulers that got to tired to make it back up.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:30:30 am »

Also an area designated as a dorm will keep the dwarves from claiming beds while unassigned bedrooms will be claimed automatically. Its nice for your laborers who don't really need a designated bedroom and furniture.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 08:31:13 am »

I also designate hospital zone over dormitory later on, so in the begining it serves as real dormitory and then just leave it be - beds serving as hospital beds.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:13 pm »

how did you get a giant badger down in the mines?  :P
I didn't. That's the sad part.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:43 pm »

Did dorms exist back when the economy still existed?  I've never played a version of the game that had the economy, but from what I understand dwarves had to pay rent, and a dorm would either be dirt cheap or free by my understanding.

So maybe it's more of a relic of older days than has a specific purpose these days.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 08:03:55 pm »

Its purpose is to let dwarves stop sleeping on the floor of the tunnels before you have the resources to set up individual bedrooms.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 08:17:51 pm »

Did dorms exist back when the economy still existed?  I've never played a version of the game that had the economy, but from what I understand dwarves had to pay rent, and a dorm would either be dirt cheap or free by my understanding.

So maybe it's more of a relic of older days than has a specific purpose these days.

Once the economy's back in, it'll have a good purpose again.
Sig

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 09:14:28 pm »

I don't bother with dormitories. A barracks is usually good enough for me.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 11:31:04 pm »

Personally I use dorms to house my children, and overlay the hospital over them.

Their purpose is to keep bad thoughts out of new dwarves in waves large enough that you can't give them all beds immediately; to give alternate bedding to exhausted dwarves that don't want to drag themselves all the way to their bed; to serve as hospitals; and to bed dwarves you don't care to give rooms.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 04:34:51 am »

No, the economy was disabled even back before 40d IIRC (so that was several years ago), where dormitories didn't exist until DF 2010.

Correct, dormitories don't give happy thoughts. They do prevent the bad thoughts of "was forced to sleep on the ground recently" and similar ones though. Basically dormitories are a way to ensure that your dwarves don't suffer bad thoughts from sleeping on the ground until you can get enough bedrooms set up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.