Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Training zone not training  (Read 2198 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Training zone not training
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:08:37 pm »

I have caged animals in a training zone (Four stray untrained dogs and one untamed elk bird) And nothing is happening. Or does it just happen really slowly? Can I observe it happening? How does it work? The wiki doesn't go very in-depth on the zone.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training zone not training
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:11:01 pm »

Can you take them out of the cages and pasture them?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »

What you need to do is assign a trainer - use the Animals tab in the z-screen to assign trainers to wild animals. Training will then commence.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:33 pm »

Also, make sure you have placed the cages through the building menu. b - j (I think, I don't have DF running right now.)
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:30:42 pm »

Also, make sure you have placed the cages through the building menu. b - j (I think, I don't have DF running right now.)
Cages don't have to be built - trainers will still train animals in cages outside training zones. The zones are used to free up cages, and to reinforce training for trained animals.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:11 pm »

Cages don't have to be built - trainers will still train animals in cages outside training zones. The zones are used to free up cages, and to reinforce training for trained animals.
I figured OP might want to let his animals out at some point.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:52:16 pm »

I figured OP might want to let his animals out at some point.
Agreed - freeing up the cages is a good idea once the animals are trained sufficiently. Assigning the animals directly to the training zone frees up cages without needing to construct/build those cages.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:17:27 pm »

Make sure the cages aren't in the training zone/pasture. If the animal is already in the pasture/training zone then the dwarf will believe it doesn't have to get the animal, and because it believes it doesn't have to get the animal, it wont try to remove the animal from its cage, and it can't train it in the cage, so the training doesn't happen.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 10:21:05 pm »

read up on the issue, page animal trainer on wiki

TAMING can happen in a cage when an animal is wild. DO NOT do this to animals captured in a siege, just kill those, they stay hostile.

TRAINING needs, usually, a training zone and an animal that is NOT in a cage

REINFORCEMENT of taming happens.... everywhere, but NOT in a cage

might edit post for more detail later, but I just woke up and noticed the computer still on, couldn't help myself. Turning it off now, good night (morning)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 12:32:22 am »

Make sure the cages aren't in the training zone/pasture. If the animal is already in the pasture/training zone then the dwarf will believe it doesn't have to get the animal, and because it believes it doesn't have to get the animal, it wont try to remove the animal from its cage, and it can't train it in the cage, so the training doesn't happen.
Are you sure about this?
I had a Yeti in a cage in a training zone + pasture, and he was still being trained regularly and i never took him out

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 07:15:26 am »

The initial phase of training when they bring food to the cage still works, but the reinforcement training wont happen while the animal is in the cage. It needs to be removed in some way, most simply by assigning it to a pasture which doesn't include the cage.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 07:55:09 am »

TAMING can happen in a cage when an animal is wild. DO NOT do this to animals captured in a siege, just kill those, they stay hostile.
Are you absolutely sure about that?

Quote from: Release notes for 0.34.06 (March 23, 2012)
Major bug fixes
   (*) Animals that have killed/attacked civ members no longer attack when trained
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 08:01:00 am »

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Quote from: Release notes for 0.34.06 (March 23, 2012)
Major bug fixes
   (*) Animals that have killed/attacked civ members no longer attack when trained

There were a few threads where animals caught in a siege were trained and then still added to the "other" list, unavailable in the animal menu. These threads were about either 34.07 or 34.11, so yes, I'm pretty positive. These animals often didn't even harm a dwarf but were immediately trapped by a cage. My guess is that the fix worked for wild animals like some of the cavern dwellers that attacked/killed dwarfs, not animals brought in a siege.

Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 09:20:49 am »

Ok, thanks all :D I was trying to train a cave crocodile the other day but I didn't know how to... I took him out of the cage and pastured him. Didn't turn out well for the dwarf... My military got some experience though :3
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2