Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why do my dwarf's like to head down my stairwell that was built for the well?  (Read 1025 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

there's nothing in the stairwell... and it only leads to a dead end, it was built (after a reveal all) to show where the water was...

yet they run down it... I can't figure out how to seal it off, burrows don't work, because people cancel jobs outside their burrow...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:59:50 pm by thistleknot »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile

there's nothing in the stairwell... and it only leads to a dead end, it was built (after a reveal all) to show where the water was...

yet they run down it... I can't figure out how to seal it off, burrows don't work, because people cancel jobs outside their burrow...
I don't quite get the idea. Screenshots perhaps?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm guessing if you have a stairwell leading to a water source that you want to use for a well that they run down there to drink or wash. Deconstruct the stairwell or seal it off with hatches or floor it over.
Feeling down? Click Here!

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Build a floor over the stairs, or make the stairwell restricted http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Traffic
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Restricted traffic" does not mean dwarves can't walk there.  If a restricted tile is along the only path to a place the dwarf wants to go, the dwarf will step on it.

Restricted/high/low traffic designations just change the "cost" of a given tile for the purpose of deciding which way to go to reach a point that the dwarf has already decided to reach.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

Build a floor over the stairs, or make the stairwell restricted http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Traffic

yeah, build a floor above them...

or restrict it... which i did,

yet for some reason...

wee!!! let's go play downstairs!

yet... there's nothing there!  Only stairs to the water that isn't even accessible.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarves seem to like to go to the low points on the map to hang out. They also go to previous job sites to hang out. They wont normally do this if there are good places to hang out though, such as a meeting zone and bedroom.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.