Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Parent Civilization  (Read 1461 times)

Alanbato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Parent Civilization
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:47:43 pm »

Is there any reason you would want to be your parent civ. near you? Or should I focus on it being big?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Parent Civilization
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:58:07 pm »

As far as I can tell, the only thing worth caring about regarding your parent civilization is their war history. If they've recently fought another civ, that'll massively influence the number of soldier-trained immigrants and the civilian skill level of those migrants. Aside from that, which biomes they're in will determine what animals and types of wood are available, and they're usually missing a few random clothing types. I don't think that the distance from the mountainhomes or whatever actually has an influence, though.

If it's big, then it should have more variety of animals available, just from covering more biomes.

Edit:
Oh, civs are also limited in what minerals they have by their area. If they lack the metal to make a forced common item, it'll default to steel, though, which is why some civs only have steel anvils.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:01:55 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 03:00:11 pm »

Just focus on it being big and covering as much area as possible, that will provide you with the largest variety of things to buy.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Alanbato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:46:07 pm »

Yeah, I chose the biggest one, I didn't check the biomes or any of that stuff though xD

And that must explain why my third migration wave was 30 dwarves with weapon skills and nothing else.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:49:38 pm »

Yeah, I chose the biggest one, I didn't check the biomes or any of that stuff though xD

And that must explain why my third migration wave was 30 dwarves with weapon skills and nothing else.

do you look happy now or sad. I mean, most people get shearers, milkers, fishers and cheese makers. They'd give their left and for it. Right hand if they are left handed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Alanbato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:54:13 pm »

do you look happy now or sad. I mean, most people get shearers, milkers, fishers and cheese makers. They'd give their left and for it. Right hand if they are left handed
Kind of both.
Well, they do have some novice useless skills, but since I already got my stacks full of food and a Legendary+5 stonecrafter I can relax and just keep producing steel for the massive army I'm going to get.

But since the training system is utterly slow, compared to older versions, training those guys will take a looong time... And minisquads aren't my thing.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:33:03 pm »

Yeah, a civilization that's fought in the last couple years will pretty much have only immigrants that have adequate in some random civilian area and competent in some random weapon skill. There may occasionally be immigrants with 'great' level skill in some civilian area (and usually 5 great social skills) who are apparently old enough to have trained those skills before the war started, lucky enough to have survived to that point, and young enough to still immigrate. I hate these jerks, since they're always usurping my choice mayor and they take forever to change to the pump operator profession, but I guess it comes down to playstyle. It's also very rare to get a vampire on forts like these, especially since they've had their frequency reduced, which is kind of a bummer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »

Edit:
Oh, civs are also limited in what minerals they have by their area. If they lack the metal to make a forced common item, it'll default to steel, though, which is why some civs only have steel anvils.
Actually, it's that iron, steel, and cotton candy are the only metals that can be made into anvils. No one has access to CC, and some civs lack access to iron, but all dwarven civs have access to steel. Even without iron.
Aside from that, flavor and available migrants.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.