Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 674754 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The ULTRASun and ULTRAMoon Rises
« Reply #6420 on: June 15, 2018, 04:48:14 pm »

i think the reason for those weakness is because Fairies are more of a nature thing. Poison represent anything manmade that is harmful to nature so Fairies cannot cope with it. Steel is also a man made thing but i can understand the mythological reason cause i dont know what would be the issue. perhaps Fairies are just weak against anything artificial and manufactured by mankind.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: June 15, 2018, 04:57:26 pm »

See, that might make sense if any number of grass or bug types weren't part-poison and/or could learn poison moves. Sure, things like Muk and Trubbish obviously represent manmade pollution, but things like Beedril and Seviper are completely natural.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: June 15, 2018, 05:20:40 pm »

i think the reason for those weakness is because Fairies are more of a nature thing. Poison represent anything manmade that is harmful to nature so Fairies cannot cope with it. Steel is also a man made thing but i can understand the mythological reason cause i dont know what would be the issue. perhaps Fairies are just weak against anything artificial and manufactured by mankind.
That's a good point!  Their iron "steel" (metal) weakness was intuitive to me as a fan of fairy lore, but I kept forgetting about poison.  Now I can just remember Grimer and think of Fern Gully :P

I feel like poison in gen 1 is usually being used by some bug, grass-type, or even rats with inexplicable forehead-stingers.  But the only pure poison type (IIRC) does clearly represent human pollution.
(Ninja'd)

Thanks for the list, Akura!  Interesting that dragons are resistant to the more "natural" elements of fire/water/grass/electric.  But not ground or steel (metal), so that's going to be hard to remember.

...And I could have sworn that rock or ground were good against ghosts (burial), but no.  I guess their weakness to dark is necromancy binding the dead.

Fairy>Dark:  Fairies (in this) represent light (moonlight, but still).  Any source of light banishes darkness.
Dark>Psychic: Psychic powers rely on perception, darkness clouds their minds.
Fighting<Flying/Ghost: Hard to punch a bird, literally can't punch a ghost
Fighting<Bug: Don't want to punch a gross thing
Fighting>Dark: Shaolin punch demons
Fighting>Normal: Every kung fu movie with hundreds of goons
Fighting>Rock: Martial artists break bricks
Fighting>Ice: Ice is... hard like bricks?
Fighting>Steel: Nevermind, I'll never understand Pokemon.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: June 15, 2018, 05:33:58 pm »

Neither rock nor ground are weak to dark. You might be thinking of how dark types attacks deal neutral damage to rock types, which makes things like Bite far more useful against early-game rock types than Tackle or whatnot. You were talking about Ghosts there, herp-a-derp.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: June 15, 2018, 05:42:16 pm »

Have you kids never seen karate kid he judo chopped that ice.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: June 15, 2018, 05:47:54 pm »

Basically, if something is hard a Fighting type can break it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: June 15, 2018, 06:01:15 pm »

...And I could have sworn that rock or ground were good against ghosts (burial), but no.  I guess their weakness to dark is necromancy binding the dead.

You might have been thinking of how Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar were weak to Ground, due to being Ghost/Poison - which ironically made them bad against Psychic-types despite being repeatedly billed as counters to them. No longer applies since they have Levitate.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: June 15, 2018, 06:04:38 pm »

That was it!  I saw it in a LP and didn't realize *why* the ground moves were super effective.  Thanks (:
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: June 15, 2018, 06:11:54 pm »

Basically, psychics had no true counter in Gen I. There was only a single Ghost type attack, Lick, which had less power than Tackle. Okay there was also Night Shade, but that did set damage and wasn't affected by types. The only ghosts available in Gen I were also part Poison, which made them extremely weak to psychic attacks.

Bug types fared slightly better, but with only two bug type attacks (Pin Missile and Twin Needle) they didn't have many options either, and almost everything that could learn those attacks was also part poison. Plenty of bug type pokemon couldn't learn either move.

Meanwhile, psychic types like Alakazam were among the fastest pokemon in the game and had ludicrous Special stats. Very few things could stand up to them except other psychic types.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51:41 pm »

It was even better than that, because that's only true on paper.  There was a bug (hee) in the programming for Gen 1, which caused Ghost type attacks to be completely ineffective against Psychic types.  As such, even if you used Lick for anti-Psychic coverage, you'd find that it did nothing.  Jolteon was worthwhile not only for its lovely speed, but for being one of only two non-Poison Pokemon to learn any Bug-type attacks, and the other was Parasect with the 20-power Leech Life. 

That said, Pin Missile was still only good for coverage against Grass/Poison and Grass/Psychic: Thunderbolt still out-performed it doing neutral damage to monotyped Psychics.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: June 15, 2018, 10:27:22 pm »

There's one that stuck in my head very well...

For steel, rock, and ice. The harder material beats the weaker one.

Steel is harder than rock, rock is harder than ice.

And then fighting beats all of them because Goku's fist is stronger than steel.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: June 16, 2018, 07:49:37 am »

The EXP Share certainly makes things a lot easier, or at least makes it so you don't have to grind nearly so much. People also say that the newest gens are easier overall, so perhaps that's another factor.

If you want to catch low-level pokemon, I suggest seeking out the TM False Swipe and teaching it to something. False Swipe can never, ever, bring an opponent to less than 1 HP. Even if that opponent is already down to just 1 HP. It's too weak for normal battle but it's incredible for catching. Add in a source of reliable paralysis (Thunder Wave) or Sleep (Spore, Hypnosis) and catching anything becomes a lot easier.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: June 16, 2018, 08:57:15 am »

The newer generations are indeed a little easier, but with EXP share off the game can still be refreshingly tough.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:23 am »

Huh. Given how easy the first few gens were I'm kinda shocked by that fact, since making them easier would make battles even more mindless. Unless they are easier in the sense of 'removed tedious bullshit which inflated the difficulty without making the game more enjoyable'? The latter wouldn't surprise me given all of the ROMhacks I've played with increased 'difficulty'. Read: Giving massive stat boosts to NPC Pokemon to compensate for poor AI, and basically turning battles into one big match of rocket tag. One hit kills all over the place.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: June 16, 2018, 10:56:29 am »

poor AI
You're just terrified of my Dewgong's super-effective move: Rest!  Why would I use anything else (or track PP)?  You cannot win!
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 463