Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 673975 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The Sun (and Moon) Rises
« Reply #5940 on: January 28, 2017, 09:08:51 pm »

Well, I have my Aegislash now, but the above conversation reinforces that I have no idea what I'm doing with regards to pokemon.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: January 28, 2017, 09:23:40 pm »

That's really only an issue if you want to play competitively. Really, EV training and all that jazz doesn't matter as much if you're only interested in beating the game.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: January 28, 2017, 09:53:22 pm »

That's really only an issue if you want to play competitively. Really, EV training and all that jazz doesn't matter as much if you're only interested in beating the game.
This is true.

In a more casual sense, you can really beat the game with just about anything. For that, all you need to know is that when Aegislash goes sword form it hits like a truck but is incredibly fragile, in shield form it's pretty tanky, and it's always going to be slow. The thing I said about alternating between King's Shield and an offensive move still applies, though.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: January 28, 2017, 09:54:01 pm »

Aegislash is bonkers, especially if you have 0 speed IV and a -speed nature. You can use alternate between powerful attack like Gyro Ball and using King's Shield, which changes you back into shield form with priority. Generally, you'll never be taking an attack while in blade form. Thus, you effectively have base 150 defenses and attack/spatk, which is absolutely nuts.

E: Doublade has only 110 attack and 45 spatk vs Blade Aegislash's 150. Eviolite Doublade does, however, have higher defense than a similarly invested Aegislash, but even a fully invested SpD eviolite Doublade will be about the same as a 0 SpD IV, 0 EV, neutral nature Aegislash. And then the Aegislash gets to hold an item, which is huge.
On paper, Aegislash is much much stronger than Doublade. But in practice it isn't so simple.

Gimmick Pokemon like Aegislash are very easy to deal with for experienced players. The problem with Aegislash is that it trades its stats and while you think with perfect play he will always have his best foot forward, reality isn't so simple.

See, King's Shield isn't an invincible wall. Unlike protect, KS doesn't protect against status or other such things (burn and paralyze completely screw over Aegislash). Additionally, it gives a free move to your opponent. Not to mention if you decide to try and mindgame your opponent by not shielding, you risk committing suicide with your now really low defense.

This doesn't even include things like multi battles where Aegislash has to contend against multiple speeds.

-----

On the other hand, Doublade is just consistent. He's basically just a wall that's really hard to kill and will do a lot of damage before dying.

It doesn't matter whether you attack as your stats are still the same.

I personally prefer that simplicity to Aegislash. It sounds like it's easy to deal with because it's so simple, but in my thousands of battles, I'm more annoyed by Doublade than by Aegislash. Generally because if I see a Doublade, it means I'm fighting an experienced player.

---

But yeah, none of this matters for Solo play unless you're playing one of the difficulty mods.

You can beat the game with a level 20 metapod if you wanted.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: January 28, 2017, 10:03:04 pm »

I find that very hard to believe, unless you're using moves like Baton Pass to ubercharge said Metapod. Even then, any Ghost-type will be an invincible wall for a Metapod.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: January 28, 2017, 10:11:29 pm »

Even then, any Ghost-type will be an invincible wall for a Metapod.
Not quite, actually; it gets Bug Bite as Caterpie.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5946 on: January 28, 2017, 10:11:52 pm »

Technically, Struggle can hit Ghost-types. But you're still not going to win with a Lv.20 Metapod even with Baton Passed boosts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: January 28, 2017, 10:30:22 pm »

The fact that you guys think this can't be done merely demonstrates you have much to learn.

Real trainers can beat any Pokemon game with a level 1 combee.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: January 28, 2017, 10:34:21 pm »

I would love to hear how.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:37 pm »

Aegislash is bonkers, especially if you have 0 speed IV and a -speed nature. You can use alternate between powerful attack like Gyro Ball and using King's Shield, which changes you back into shield form with priority. Generally, you'll never be taking an attack while in blade form. Thus, you effectively have base 150 defenses and attack/spatk, which is absolutely nuts.

E: Doublade has only 110 attack and 45 spatk vs Blade Aegislash's 150. Eviolite Doublade does, however, have higher defense than a similarly invested Aegislash, but even a fully invested SpD eviolite Doublade will be about the same as a 0 SpD IV, 0 EV, neutral nature Aegislash. And then the Aegislash gets to hold an item, which is huge.
On paper, Aegislash is much much stronger than Doublade. But in practice it isn't so simple.

Gimmick Pokemon like Aegislash are very easy to deal with for experienced players. The problem with Aegislash is that it trades its stats and while you think with perfect play he will always have his best foot forward, reality isn't so simple.

See, King's Shield isn't an invincible wall. Unlike protect, KS doesn't protect against status or other such things (burn and paralyze completely screw over Aegislash). Additionally, it gives a free move to your opponent. Not to mention if you decide to try and mindgame your opponent by not shielding, you risk committing suicide with your now really low defense.

This doesn't even include things like multi battles where Aegislash has to contend against multiple speeds.
I'm not going to comment on double/multis, as I don't have any experience even really thinking about those in a competitive mindset.

However, Smogon agrees with me. After an unban on Sun/Moon release (in case something would make it fair again), consensus had Aegislash banned once again from OU.

Now, I'm not trying to say Doublade is bad - the fact that it has OU sets on Smogon (from last gen - there aren't a ton of SM sets up) is a clear demonstration of the fact that it's very good, and from what I can tell it is filling some of the space that Aegislash filled after the ban. And I'm not saying Aegislash is some unbeatable monster - it's pretty niche in its role in Ubers (mostly just killing Xerneas), and even the ban announcement says it wasn't unbeatable. However, it is far more versatile, checks and counters far more things, and counters special attackers better. The fact that it has counters doesn't necessarily mean it's worse - basically everything has counters.

You can beat the game with a level 20 metapod if you wanted.
You know, I'm actually surprised (this is l20 metapod vs a theoretical version of Hau's l53 Raichu):
+4 252 Atk Metapod Savage Spin-Out (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola on a critical hit: 152-180 (120.6 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk Metapod Savage Spin-Out (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 134-158 (106.3 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
On the other hand (l56 m-zone):
+6 252+ Atk Metapod Savage Spin-Out (120 BP) vs. -6 0 HP / 0- Def Magnezone on a critical hit: 95-112 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
calculator

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: January 29, 2017, 08:11:00 am »

I came up for the idea of an interesting challenge. Keep all Pokemon's level and experience gains hidden from the player. The only indication of a Pokemon gaining a level is when they learn a new move(or evolve of course), and you cannot see your opponent's levels either. Stats can still be checked, but you have to manually look at the Pokemon's stat page to see it.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone already made a romhack of this, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: January 29, 2017, 12:58:31 pm »

The next step, of course, is to fuzz things: under 10 they'd learn a move normally, then some might learn different moves a level early or late, and as it gets higher in level it changes to 2-3 levels early or late.

That, however, can't be done with romhacking and probably requires a change in how pokemon are generated and data is stored.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: February 03, 2017, 07:50:46 pm »

Bringing this thing out of hibernation to let everyone know that I have a code to receive a Genesect in X/Y or ORAS. I believe you have to be American or Canadian for the code to work. The code must be redeemed by the end of the month.

Someone from a different region can also get it, but it's a more complicated process: I would need to redeem the code on my copy of X and then trade it through GTS, which would require trading friend codes and we'd both have to be online and it'd be a bit of a pain.

Post here if you want it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: February 03, 2017, 08:55:58 pm »

Am I the only noticing that Tsareena(Bounsweet's final evolution) is pretty much a dominatrix? The Sun Pokedex entry suggests that she stomps her heels into a defeated foe to humiliate them, similar to one of the possible... services a dominatrix can provide. Also her name is a homophone of the Russian word for "queen" - another term for a dominatrix.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: February 03, 2017, 10:28:23 pm »

Am I the only noticing that Tsareena(Bounsweet's final evolution) is pretty much a dominatrix? The Sun Pokedex entry suggests that she stomps her heels into a defeated foe to humiliate them, similar to one of the possible... services a dominatrix can provide. Also her name is a homophone of the Russian word for "queen" - another term for a dominatrix.

Well, the game IS made in Japan. So..
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 463