Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 673603 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Pokemans leaked. Remember to use spoiler tags.
« Reply #5490 on: October 25, 2016, 07:36:29 am »

White Smoke and Clear Body are also identical; both are non-legendary, though the former was a signature ability when originally introduced (Torkoal, hence why I'm unsurprised most people don't know it; it's not a very commonly-used Pokemon).  Insomnia and Vital Spirit, Battle Armor and Shell Armor, and Filter and Solid Rock are other such pairs that don't occur in legendaries alone.  Some of it is fluff, some of it is actually odd.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:38:40 am by Culise »

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: October 25, 2016, 10:52:10 am »

I dunno if this was ability-specific or just RNG based, or heck even gen-3 only, but the one time I did paralyze a Vital Spirit pokemon, yeah their speed went way down but they were never immobilized by the Paralysis.
Insomnia just outright stops sleep from even landing.
Emerland and on, White smoke also  reduces wild pokemon encounter Rate if torkoal leads the Party and IIRC Clear Body doesn't do that, so they did go and give it a non-battle effect. to spereate it out, yeah other abilities have a similar effect  on encounter rates but not combined with stats-reduction prevention.

I personally agree with this sentiment though...Reshiram's and Zekrom's Ability isn't anything more than Mold Breaker with fancy titles. Good ability, yeah, but seriously Gamefreak: why the rename(s)?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:57:30 am by RekkaAtsuma »
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: October 25, 2016, 10:59:27 am »

Gotta have an excuse to have that unique and Lore-friendly flavortext pop up when they're sent out.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: October 25, 2016, 11:18:07 am »

I dunno if this was ability-specific or just RNG based, or heck even gen-3 only, but the one time I did paralyze a Vital Spirit pokemon, yeah their speed went way down but they were never immobilized by the Paralysis.
Emerland and on, White smoke also  reduces wild pokemon encounter Rate if torkoal leads the Party and IIRC Clear Body doesn't do that, so they did go and give it a non-battle effect. to spereate it out, yeah other abilities have a similar effect  on encounter rates but not combined with stats-reduction prevention.

I personally agree with this sentiment though...Reshiram's and Zekrom's Ability isn't anything more than Mold Breaker with fancy titles. Good ability, yeah, but seriously Gamefreak: why the rename(s)?
I'd imagine that you paralyzed a Vital Spirit Pokemon because, like Insomnia, it only blocks Sleep.  You're likely thinking of Limber, which blocks paralysis. :P

But following up on your mention of it for White Smoke, it does look like Vital Spirit has an out-of-battle effect Insomnia lacks.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:05 am »

I'd imagine that you paralyzed a Vital Spirit Pokemon because, like Insomnia, it only blocks Sleep.  You're likely thinking of Limber, which blocks paralysis. :P
Hmm perhaps it was another ability, but basically it was an ability that make the Pokemon constantly move, as in every turn. So given the immobilization effect of the status ailment, I wondered how paralysis would effect it. (And I did state I didn't know the full details of the effect and all.)
Upon looking it up though, Vital Spirit's in-game party-leader encounter effect is making higher-level encounters more frequent. This secondary effect is Shared with Hustle and Pressure.
So all in all, while Competitive play has a lot of clone-abilities, in-game use of similar-battle-function abilities can vary. Though I seriously doubt the two new Legend Abilities will have secondary effects

Edit: Figured out why I thought it was Vital Spirit: Vigoroth's pokedex data in D/P/PL stats "it cannot sit still", and Vigoroth has Vital Spirit, Also at that time I was playing Sapphire to catch A Kyorge and give it a certain move from gen3 back during Platinum's time to shine. I paralyzed Norman's Vigoroth and it never once got immobilized, so hence the confusion. Sorry about that Player-based error everybody.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:05:24 pm by RekkaAtsuma »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: October 25, 2016, 04:46:31 pm »

Another pair of same-effect abilities(one legendary) not mentioned is Cloud Nine and Rayquaza's Air Lock. Both block out weather effects, but Cloud Nine is probably less seen than Air Lock, since only 6 Pokemon(3 evolution lines) get it, and only two of them - Psyduck and Golduck - receive it normally. The others, Swablu/Altaria and Lickitung/Lickilicky, get it as a Hidden Ability but have more useful normal Abilities.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: October 25, 2016, 05:18:18 pm »

Okay that is weird I thought surely Rayquaza had something outta battle for it, but you're right, nothing Cloud 9 is Air Lock.
but then agian as Furtuka said about lore-friendly flavor texts, "Cloud 9" is a phrase meaning something similar to "Not a care in the world", as such weather does its best to make Psyduck's Brain Tremble all it wants, it doesn't care and Rayquaza actually locks the Air in place.

((Edit is due to: Got a hit on my original post subject(which i have removed from this post as it's no longer needed))
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:53:44 am by RekkaAtsuma »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:38:55 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: THE LEGENDS RETURN
« Reply #5498 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:24 am »

Red: "At least I am not named after my pants"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: October 27, 2016, 10:13:30 am »

Grass ghost? I wasn't expecting that. Does that mean your grass starter DIES?!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: October 27, 2016, 10:28:59 am »

I do love how they made ANOTHER Fire/Fighting type.

Except they added Dark and looked the other way.

Because I HIGHLY doubt that pokemon is meant to be a Heel Wrestler. (Then again... he is based off of Hulk Hogan with his Lariat)

Yet... Forget that... It is what? The second Fire Starter based on wrestling and the fourth based on being a unarmed fighter?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:31:14 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: October 27, 2016, 10:42:25 am »

He's actually based of a Heel Wrestler character from the classic manga Tiger Mask and the associated real life wrestlers sooooooo

Edit: Also on the website it shows that the Pokedex literally classifies it as "The Heel Pokemon" :P
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:13:39 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: October 27, 2016, 11:52:10 am »

Grass ghost? I wasn't expecting that. Does that mean your grass starter DIES?!
I actually saw something like this on it's way: Rowlett and Dartirx can fly and still use their visual gimmicks, Decidueye cannot as one of it's wings becomes the body of it's Bow, so Ghost-type makes a sort-of Sense.
Also Incineroar is Warrior(Black Knight Promotion, fisticuffs version) Primarina is Mage(Sorceress Promotion) and Decidueye is Rogue(Snipe Promotion), going with the terms of classic RPGs.
So it does make some sense. Also "Ghost" can refer to Spirit in much the same way as Yokai refers to Fairy-of-old and Demon. Froslass is an example of the Yuki-Onna Yokai btw.
As for death/rebirth Rotom is Ghos/Elec then loses Ghost when it form changes, and regains ghost if it goes back to nromal form, don't quite think that counts as death/rebirth so that means Decidueye could be ghost due to "Invisible Archer/Sniper guy"
---This is honestly why I do use some ghosts, as normally I don't like messing with the dead.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:54:02 am by RekkaAtsuma »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: October 27, 2016, 12:03:29 pm »

I think the theme might be rogues and tricksters this time if we go with the idea of Robin Hood, Heel Wrestler, and Siren.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: October 27, 2016, 12:09:53 pm »

I do love how they made ANOTHER Fire/Fighting type.

Except they added Dark and looked the other way.

Because I HIGHLY doubt that pokemon is meant to be a Heel Wrestler. (Then again... he is based off of Hulk Hogan with his Lariat)

Yet... Forget that... It is what? The second Fire Starter based on wrestling and the fourth based on being a unarmed fighter?
Doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it is not yet another fire/fighting type. We have enough of those already.

I would've preferred another neat fire/psychic like delphox, though. Fire/psychic was a fun starter combo.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 463