Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 673031 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Battle Analyzer patched out
« Reply #2460 on: December 22, 2013, 12:13:14 am »

Buri: I prefer special attack Lucario myself since it can use vacuum wave instead of goddamn bullet punch.

Mageziya:

To be "good" at Pokemon, three things you must master:

1. Luck
2. Knowledge
3. Mindgames

This will be about mindgames. The whole purpose of fielding a team of multiple mega evolutions is about fucking with your opponent. He won't know which one will be the mega. It could be the Gyrados. It could be the Scizor. In your case, it can be any of them at any time.

However, let's look at this a little closer. If you actually give all of them mega stones... they inevitably lose actual items. This is actually a massive drawback. A Garchomp with life orb for example is quite literally 30% stronger than a Garchomp with nothing. In fact, a Garchomp with life orb actually hits harder than Mega Garchomp (but is less tanky). Similarly, a Scizor with Choice Scarf actually is 50% faster than a Scizor with nothing. Etc. etc.

Furthermore, not all mega evolutions are created equal. For example, look at Mega Garchomp. It's freaking useless. No one would mega evolve it unless they were really dumb. Mega Alakazam is another one that is quite definitely weaker than regular Alakazam. Many of the valued mega evolutions are actually only liked because of certain niches that they can fill. For example, Mega Charizard Y is probably the best weather generating pokemon right now. Mega Gengar is one of the best spin blockers and Mega Gyrados can switch typing and avoid stuff that would normally kill it.

So if the opponent sees your team of mega evolutionary potentials. With a little guesswork he can probably guess which one will be a mega evolution. For example, why would you field a Kangaskhan or a Mawile unless you were going to mega evolve them? They're quite useless in their normal form. Similarly, if I see Charizard and Venusaur in the same team, I know Charizard is going to be Mega Charizard Y.

So it depends on how well you can play the mindgame.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: December 22, 2013, 12:17:24 am »

Out of curiosity, some someone who doesn't know much about competitive play:

How practical is it to have multiple Mega-Evolution potentials on a team? I know you waste a hold item and can only have one Mega-Evo at a time, but I can see it potentially having its upsides. Main one I can think of being flexibility depending on the situation. Other benefit would be the opponent being uncertain as to what Mega would go.

And now I am to be proven terribly wrong.

Assuming 6 vs 6, even if you have multiple 'mons that can mega-evolve, that already makes your opponent guessing. Certain mega-evos are really obvious because their mega forms outclass the normal counterparts (e.g. Kangashkan, Pinsir, Charizard, Mawile, etc). The ones that can mega-evolve but on par with their non-mega forms are the likes of Gengar (losing Levitate) and Scizor (Life Orb/Leftover arguably better).

Buri: I prefer special attack Lucario myself since it can use vacuum wave instead of goddamn bullet punch.

Umi, yes the Nasty Plot Lucario seems to be better. I think I'm sticking to mixed as I have a few supporting 'mons at my disposal and plan to use him as late game sweeper.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:04:01 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: December 22, 2013, 03:37:40 pm »

Does any Pokemon with the ability Contrary learn Baton Pass? That's an evil one, you can spam stuff like Overheat, GAIN stats, then pass it off.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: December 22, 2013, 03:47:48 pm »

Spinda, but as far as I can tell, the only move it receives that works with Contrary is Superpower, and that only through the Dream World.  So....ummm, yeah, sorry. 

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: December 26, 2013, 12:12:54 am »

Only in random battles does Gyrados lose to Kakuna. When Showdown gets shuttered by Nintendo, I will be quite sad.

I dream for the day where they make a pokemon game where the opponents are actually a challenge. Like for example, imagine if in XY, when the professor comes to congratulate you, he instead punches you in the face, challenges you to a pokemon battle, and brings out a team of 6 legendaries.

--------------

By the way, to the guy who wanted to use contrary and baton pass. Check out this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-20651579

I'm not particularly sure what is going on, but he got Spinda with Contrary to use Assist, which uses V-create which basically gives Spinda 50% def, sp def, and speed every single time.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: December 26, 2013, 12:51:48 am »

By the way, to the guy who wanted to use contrary and baton pass. Check out this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-20651579

I'm not particularly sure what is going on, but he got Spinda with Contrary to use Assist, which uses V-create which basically gives Spinda 50% def, sp def, and speed every single time.
Oh, it's an oogie boogie; I never even thought about checking that.  Basically, Ditto and Ninetales create entry hazards from the opponent's own set while the latter adds permanent sun to the mix (this is an old OU match from Gen 5; Drought's effect doesn't expire after 5/8 turns).  Since Transform and Mimic can't be copied, Assist is guaranteed to pull V-create from Victini.  The remaining three Pokemon spam Assist in various ways to bring it their own strengths: Liepard gives it Prankster priority, Infernape gives it raw STAB power, and Spinda turns its weaknesses into strengths.  Other fun moves to add to this are Counter, Mirror Coat, Destiny Bond (which combine in the form of Wobbuffet), Trick (with a Choice item; switch in Wobbuffet and you have a free infinite Encore), Nature Power, Circle Throw, and Dragon Tail.

And for those who don't know, the original oogie boogie is this kind of set-up team with a Lagging Tail Prankster Liepard and a Smeargle with Shadow Force.  Priority Assist into Shadow Force triggers first, making Liepard invulnerable before the opponent's move, and without priority on Shadow Force itself, Lagging Tail forces it to go off last, after the opponent's move.  Since Shadow Force breaks through Protect and Substitute effects, if the opponent doesn't have priority, Destiny Bond, Mold Breaker, Prankster Taunt, Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, spin moves (or anything not named Focus Punch with negative priority), or the like, hilarity results.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:57:09 am by Culise »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: December 26, 2013, 01:07:07 am »

Yeah, I was just browsing replays at random and I recognized that My Body is Regi guy as I fought him a few times before. So I checked it out and was like "wtf is going on...?"

I had to pause and check Bulbapedia to find out what on earth Assist and V-create were.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: December 27, 2013, 02:11:24 pm »

I knew this would happen:
Nintendo has delayed the release of Pokemon Bank for america based on a massive network strain and reports that illegal Pokemon made it through the bank into X/Y.

Sadly this means I cannot port in my Pokemon I have patiently waited for. Please hurry and fix this Nintendo, I want my max-ivs lux ball Scizor I've had since Diamond/Pearl
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: December 27, 2013, 04:20:37 pm »

Finally got myself a 3DS and X. My friend code's 4012-5001-1114 if anyone's interested. I got about 1/3 of the way through the list of codes in the OP before I had to take a break, but I'll finish up adding people later.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: December 27, 2013, 06:22:14 pm »

Nintendo has delayed the release of Pokemon Bank for america based on a massive network strain and reports that illegal Pokemon made it through the bank into X/Y.

Sadly this means I cannot port in my Pokemon I have patiently waited for. Please hurry and fix this Nintendo, I want my max-ivs lux ball Scizor I've had since Diamond/Pearl

They're really fighting to keep the wifi pure aren't they? I was kind of hoping we could get Bank already... I mean, I use the illegalmon services just to get pokemon that are actually "legal", and then I breed them just to keep that random chance, because I don't have the time or patience to get perfect IVs. If they checked pokemon for illegality before a battle instead...
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: December 27, 2013, 06:30:45 pm »

They're really fighting to keep the wifi pure aren't they? I was kind of hoping we could get Bank already... I mean, I use the illegalmon services just to get pokemon that are actually "legal", and then I breed them just to keep that random chance, because I don't have the time or patience to get perfect IVs. If they checked pokemon for illegality before a battle instead...
Agreed that illegal pokemon tricks are properly used to get hard-to-get or etc pokemon, leaving the rest to chance.
I only ever got cheat device back in D/P so I could change traded pokemon names from the gts, as i had acquired a nice female pokemon with a nasty name implying it's usage was only for 'breeding purposes'.
Also agreed that they should check before each battle, HOWEVER: doing such would create a lot of strain on it's own they'd have to completely rework the battle system servers.
---They could however start allowing illegal pokemon in 1 player, but if the pokemon is illegal, it cannot be traded, breed, or be used online in any way, this is the true win-win and isnt that hard to code. and reduces server and network strains.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:33:15 pm by RekkaAtsuma »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: December 27, 2013, 06:38:42 pm »

Allowing hacked pokemon to breed is actually a good thing, because the code for that removes a lot of the illegitimacy, especially because a lot of players don't have the kind of time to powergame but would like to be able to enjoy online battles.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2472 on: December 27, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure Bank is down because of the huge strain new systems caused the eShop and whatnot due to Christmas, not due to illegalmons.

On that note I finally got the game. (Y) Recently beat the fifth gym, and somehow my Pokemon are overleveled by roughly 10 levels.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: December 27, 2013, 09:19:12 pm »

Allowing hacked pokemon to breed is actually a good thing, because the code for that removes a lot of the illegitimacy, especially because a lot of players don't have the kind of time to powergame but would like to be able to enjoy online battles.

Actually no, it wouldnt: I can hack myself a dream world ability onto a pokemon in 5th gen who's ability is yet released even in 6th gen then begin breeding that ability -  does that make it legit? nope. so hack pokemon should be unable to breed or go online rather than this cannot port in crap.

I'm pretty sure Bank is down because of the huge strain new systems caused the eShop and whatnot due to Christmas, not due to illegalmons.

On that note I finally got the game. (Y) Recently beat the fifth gym, and somehow my Pokemon are overleveled by roughly 10 levels.
Oh that's not what the news has been saying, they're saying it's both the strain and the illegal pokemon getting through together as the reason. - It was pulled to allow for patching the exploit allowing Illegals and to help stave off the instability, makes perfect sense as with it being massively dl'ed and having a bug....well, I've made my point and will shut up.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: December 27, 2013, 09:21:38 pm »

It still sucks for those of us who don't have powergaming time nor the constant ability to calculate potential stats, although I see what you mean. Applying a "unreleased" filter to an in-game check via patch would still mitigate the issue.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 463