Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 672740 times)

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2013, 10:51:07 pm »

Make a joke team then, doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as your opponent goes "WTF!?".

Had great fun a few years back doing a trick room team since I wanted to abuse the rediculous offense monster that is Clamperl. Needed a lead to set everything up, so what did I go for? A Ralts, at level 1 with a focus sash. Nearly every opponent had to ask if I was serious, but that lv 1 Ralts tended to cause havok before it died throwing sleep and burns around and occasionally getting a destiny bond kill, usually with a few turns of trick room left to beat the crap out of their team with my slow but powerful sweepers.

Didn't win much, mind you, but it was damn fun.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2013, 11:46:50 pm »

Yeah, I reinstalled.  I have some kind of thing where once I'm into a game I can't just quit.  I can only quit when the addiction runs its course and it hasn't yet.

Now I want to try an endeavor Aron with Focus Sash, just to piss people off.  Maybe one try.  And also Reversal Dugtrio.

And focus sash shedinja, because fuck you.

Come on guys, what else can I bring out for the ultimate bullshit team?

Maybe Hippowdon or Obama Snow?  To kill them after endeavor.

So many choices...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:48:53 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2013, 01:29:39 am »

Google Swagnemite. Go to the Happy Thread and look for my Stallnanasaurus post. Gimmicks are fun, sometimes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2013, 10:16:46 am »

Come on guys, what else can I bring out for the ultimate bullshit team?
Aron + Sturdy + Shell Bell = Reusable FEAR.
And then the rest of your team can be built to counter common mons immune to sandstorm.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2013, 11:55:31 pm »

Anyway, I put together a more viable team based on trolling. 

Spoiler: Behold! (click to show/hide)

Sableye and Gengar provide the bulk of the trolling, Sableye doing his usual shit with Gengar abusing Substitute and disable to shut down the enemy's strongest move and then pelting him with shadow balls.  Surprisingly effective, he usually gets at least one kill a game.  Blissey is a backup troll, poisoning and setting up rocks on special attackers.  Conkeldurr cleans up and occasionally sweeps, Jirachi revenge kills and trolls with iron head, and Nidoking uses his ridiculous damage and universal coverage to knock holes in the enemy's team for the others to exploit.

I'm actually winning more games than I lose.  I think part of my problem before was I always used other people's teams, and didn't know their quirks and synergies as well.  Building the team myself makes me intimately aware of just what it is and isn't capable of, so I can plan better.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:00:44 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2013, 05:35:43 am »

Are you allowed to have three leftovers on the same team?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2013, 11:48:50 am »

Yes.  There's only a few item limitations on PO.
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2013, 12:01:28 pm »

Stall teams would be doomed without their sack lunches!

I'm actually winning more games than I lose.  I think part of my problem before was I always used other people's teams, and didn't know their quirks and synergies as well.  Building the team myself makes me intimately aware of just what it is and isn't capable of, so I can plan better.
This. This is what lets my RU team take on the OU and Ubers teams of my friends. Individual Pokemon may be mighty, but it takes a team to win. My Quagsire is the rock that team is built around, but he wouldn't be half as effective without Miltank to take grass hits and outstall things that Quagsire can't. Relicanth is a hammer with fins, but needs a Ninjask's help to become an unstoppable battering ram. There's a reason that Swellow is the least useful member of that team. It was just thrown on at the last minute because I needed another late-game sweeper. I'll probably replace it soon, actually.

I've been having trouble finding that kind of synergy with OU Pokemon so far, though. I look at other teams and try to adopt their strategies, but I end up with the same problem that you were having. Might be a good idea to just slap together a team of 6 random OU Pokemon and see which ones are the most effective. Replace the less effective ones with support for the better ones as they are revealed...

To the (other parts of the) internet!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2013, 09:01:47 pm »

I don't think good OU teams actually use exclusively OU Pokemon. I think they use a lot of the lower tiers' stuff, but those just tend to be more narrow and/or require more support. But they can still shine more in the right team than a random OU Pokemon would.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09:07 pm »

Yep, remember OU is just made of whatever's being used the most (unless the definition has changed at some point). Often when you have a really specific hole you need to fit you can find some random obscure mon that'll do it perfectly. Course they're in OU for a reason and make a good starting point for team building but the last 1 or 2 slots when you're looking for very specific roles you can easily look around the lower tiers.

And building your team yourself is just so much more satisfying. It's fun to have a mon with absurdly specific stats and moves that nobody would guess solely to counter something that'd otherwise obliterate your team.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:11:03 pm by DemonOfWrath »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2013, 09:51:57 pm »

So uh. Some Tropic Thunder up in here. A real Citrus Surprise. Bananasaurus won the day! (Yes, I know that bananas are not citrus.)

Summary: My Groudon (Tyrannosaurus ROCKS) sparred with his Jirachi for a bit, but paralyzed it and switched out for Smeargle. (Francois) Francois got murderkilled. So I sent out Gorebyss (Shell Smash Sweeper) to set up Aqua Ring, a substitute, and two Agility while he floundered in paralysis. seeded Jirachi, and he switched out to Salamence. After a while of Leech Seed followed by alternating Protect/Substitute, he went back to Jirachi. More of the same. More of the same against Dialga. Eventually he just gave up. Checking his team later in chat, he didn't have a single move to stop me. Tropius for days!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 28, 2013, 01:26:08 am »

Just played against a Rain Dish Leftovers Leech Seed Substitute Ludicolo.

Why do people like that even play the fucking game?  If you're gonna spend a week of your life playing pokemon at least spend it playing multiple games.  I mean, I know my team is pretty trollstall too, but at least it's active. 
Shoes...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2013, 01:55:40 am »

I almost understand what you guys are talking about.

Seriously, the fact that competitive Pokemon is so large is mind-boggling. In the face of a bajillion other competitive games, a monster-catching game has a more developed and debated tier ladder than most popular fighting games. The anecdotes from players on here are pretty funny, but just getting started on this "online battling" stuff sounds like a horrifying timesink.

Also, back during RSE I thought Skarmbliss killed competitive battling.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2013, 02:18:43 am »

Seriously, the fact that competitive Pokemon is so large is mind-boggling. In the face of a bajillion other competitive games, a monster-catching game has a more developed and debated tier ladder than most popular fighting games. The anecdotes from players on here are pretty funny, but just getting started on this "online battling" stuff sounds like a horrifying timesink.

Well, they all gotta be the best, like no one ever was.

Just played against a Rain Dish Leftovers Leech Seed Substitute Ludicolo.

Why do people like that even play the fucking game?  If you're gonna spend a week of your life playing pokemon at least spend it playing multiple games.  I mean, I know my team is pretty trollstall too, but at least it's active. 

I dunno. I'd have fun playing a team based around that. Sure, it'd piss people off, but I bet it's hilarious pissing people off with a stall team, as well as a bit effective. He probably only had that Ludicolo for a few games anyway, since it'd get boring pretty fast. Personally, after peeking around Smogon University, I'm thinking of trying out a team based around a Technician Hidden Power sweeper. I might pick up Black 2 or White 2 for my 3DS (or possibly wait for X/Y) and going for a Elite Four Moody Bidoof sweep, which should be pretty funny. I would never have been aware of these things had I not gone looking around the competitive scene (although, personally, I've only really played Gen 3 anyway).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:29:37 am by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:11 am »

Also, back during RSE I thought Skarmbliss killed competitive battling.

I dunno. I'd have fun playing a team based around that. Sure, it'd piss people off, but I bet it's hilarious pissing people off with a stall team, as well as a bit effective.
Stall is not very effective in this generation. So many Pokemon can utterly crush the old walls that it takes some serious dedication to make a team around Stall. Bulky Pokemon can be swell on a team, but stall alone gets massacred. Pokemon like Sableye that can Taunt or Encore with Prankster artificially boosting their speed can mean the end for Pokemon that rely on multiple moves (or non-attacking moves like Recover) to pull off a stall. For each where Tropius pulled off an infinite stall, I had about a dozen extraordinarily quick, catastrophic, failures. And even when I pulled it off, it wasn't extraordinarily fun. I'm glad I did it once, but I will most likely only pull that team out as a joke amongst friends now.

This "online battling" stuff sounds like a horrifying timesink.
It can be, but it doesn't have to be. Today I was sick and staying home, so I played for about three hours, with maybe another hour looking up strategies for the OU tier. (I'm unfamiliar with it.) Normally I'd just play a game or two during breaks, or for only an hour or so. With how fast most teams move these days, it's not unheard of for a battle to be decided within twenty or even ten rounds. Not every battle is a 406-turn stall war between Tropius and 6 of the best conventional walls ever made. (Giratina, Blissey, Skarmory, Lugia, Groudon, and Deoxys-D. Yeah, that guy was pretty stubborn.) The average battle takes me 4-6 minutes, up to 10 if I'm using a defensive team that relies on a lot of switching and countering. I've had battles take less than a minute, and I've had them take 20. (Being a ninjask swords dance pass to Relicanth -> 6 rounds, 6 kills match and a Tropius Trolling Extravaganza respectively.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 463