Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 672107 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: MYSTERY DUNGEON REMAKE
« Reply #6870 on: April 21, 2022, 11:55:20 am »

Interesting.  Where's the effort in the effort values then?  The effort of a pokemon forcing itself to eat grit?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: April 21, 2022, 12:01:39 pm »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: April 21, 2022, 03:19:03 pm »

That might explain why I'm still getting beat by the endgame bosses. I never used any grit items.

Also having my Joycon stick drift again isn't helping.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: April 21, 2022, 05:44:52 pm »

Yep. Grit acts like a combination of both IV and EV points, which is called "effort levels" to avoid confusing it with either of those two from the base games.  Without investing in your stats' effort levels by using grit, you're running with all-but-untrained Pokemon.  Also, type effectiveness does indeed matter a lot more than levels in general in the game.  Basic rule in the formulas are that levels add to stats, but EL multiplies your points, and the multiplier gets larger fast once you pass 6 EL.  IVs do exist in the game for cross-compatibility, but they only affect stats indirectly by determining how many effort levels each Pokemon starts with; you can make up for bad IVs just by pouring more sand grit dust down the Pokemon's throat.  Alpha Pokemon are primarily powerful because they have high IVs, and thus those free points already invested. 

They did a bit to make the game a bit harder, level-grinding less effective, and the final boss worthy of the term. 

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: April 25, 2022, 05:58:33 pm »

shedinja appreciation post

Attack stat? Slaps. Speed stat? Pretty great. Ability to take Giratina on the nose again and again and again while you huck a fortune in Ultra Balls? Effortless. Azelf, psychic? Nah. Zapdos, Zap Cannon? Nah. Magnezone? Get real. Toxicroak? Get bent, Team Galactic. Oh, Cyrus thinks he's hot stuff with Dialga AND Palkia at the same time?

Buddy, you have gods. I have a dead bug. You got bested by the husk of another pokemon.

It's such a gimmick creature, but it's totally carved out a permanent place in my roster on account of being absolutely invaluable as a last-ditch fighter in major battles, an impenetrable wall while catching legendaries, or just for making the enemy AI shit itself while it tries to figure out how best to stomp you.

That's all. Carry on.

shedinja appreciation post

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: May 01, 2022, 02:41:30 am »

Caught a shiny alpha voltorb during a massive mass outbreak. The all-alpha wave following it had another shiny alpha voltorb.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: May 01, 2022, 02:01:24 pm »

Umbra is my buddy and I love him.
He strikes as a fighting type, and guards as a steel type.

I have other buddies.  I have a Tyrannitar, and a Rhyperior.   A metagross.  And also my treasured bulbasaur from 2016.

Lavos and Superior defeat most Team  Rocket threats, tbh.  Giovanni still fucks me up, and I welcome that.  The rocket leaders usually (not always) fall to Lavos and Superior and

my best pokemon:  Tacticool Machamp.
FourPunchJill.

They do extreme damage via fighting type, especially against Giovanni's [FUXKING CAT] [sic], but also they charge and deliver power moves extraordinarily quickly.  Almost as much as my Scizor Vegeta.
Blasting those shields away is very important.

(Giovanni's cat is normal, but has dark FAIRY moves - don't think that you can just use fighting against it!
And even now he screws me up sometimes - I wish I could fight him more often!  I've fought him for my dad at least three times, and I welcome every time!)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 02:06:27 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: May 01, 2022, 10:10:28 pm »

I walked hundreds and hundreds of kilometers with my first buddy, a ponyta that I evolved into a rapidash, but the game sadly introduced all of the buddy bonuses long after I started swapping it out to get candies for pokemon that are so rare that I didn't want to wait to get candies for normally.  I had to walk like 70 candies to evolve my gible all the way into a garchomp, and I'm currently working on walking my fraxure up to a haxxorus.  I'm not looking forward to trying to evolve this noibat that still needs 210 more candies to evolve...

Where I live, I can't get many pokecoins for free through gyms so I don't get many incubators, and I tend to hatch stupid things like vullabys and pinecos when I get them.  I have to walk them the hard way to get those candies.  I also can't do anything but 1 star raids so I don't get many rare candies either.

That all said, I could not believe my luck in that I got a female salandit on my second 12km egg after they were introduced.  It took me forever and ever to get an axew, which has similar odds.

In Pokemon Legends: Arceus, I just finished throwing food at electrode until it settled down.  That was actually a pretty annoying boss fight since I didn't realize at first that the homing electric blasts wouldn't ever stop chasing you and that you had to wait for it to use explosion so you'd get a free moment to throw stuff at it.

The fact that you're throwing junk at the nobles until they calm down is a little funny, especially since you don't have to battle them at all with your pokemon.

I'm still missing about 100 pokemon from my pokedex and I assume the next area is the last in the game, so I must have missed quite a few in other regions.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: May 12, 2022, 06:21:31 pm »

Pokemon HOME compatibility for Arceus, Brilliant Diamond, and Shining Pearl, coming Soon™.  Or at least, soon enough for them to put out a formal news story to that effect.  I can't say I'm too excited, but it seems a lot of people who paid for online access for their Switch are looking forward to shuffling Pokemon around between all the Switch games.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: May 20, 2022, 12:27:47 pm »

It's done. (Fuck Aipom.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: May 20, 2022, 01:43:12 pm »

I've got about 45 hours into the game and I only have about half of the pokemon at 10 research.  I don't think I'm going to bother to get them all there and will just settle for catching them all.  I'm about 20 shy of that, and suspect I'm at the point I'm going to have to start googling how to find or evolve some of the more obscure ones.  I relented for wyrdeer, and seriously, does the game actually tell you to use Psyshield Bash in Agile form 20 times somewhere or are you just supposed to do that by accident?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: May 20, 2022, 03:32:18 pm »

I relented for wyrdeer, and seriously, does the game actually tell you to use Psyshield Bash in Agile form 20 times somewhere or are you just supposed to do that by accident?
Sort of, two of Stantler's research goals are "Use Psyshield Bash" and "Use Agile-style moves", but nothing indicates you have to do both at the same time to evolve.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: October 09, 2022, 06:50:08 pm »

I'm playing the Omega Ruby romhack 'Rutile Ruby' having concluded with Renegade Platinum, and it's some horseshit.

Random trainers have their one or two nonsense creatures replaced with full teams of six, probably featuring ideal EVs, IVs, and natures, too. The level scale is adjusted so you're facing off against level 100 'mons by the eighth gym, and training reserve pokemon when you get stalled by one of these random difficult trainers is made more difficult still that they're usually not worth rebattling simply because half of their strategy is to wall you out with protect/leftovers/recover/rest/etc and getting around that bastard is less worth it than the Pelippers you're grinding levels off of of the coast somewhere.

Also, not only is it sporadically done, it's not particularly thorough about what it scales and adjusts.

Like, great, you beat beefed-up Team Aqua/Magma, Maxie and his level 98 creatures fall before you. Off to meet Primal Groudon. Surprise! it's half your level, at 45. You bag it with your level 90 Gliscor's False Swipe. You get to the eighth gym leader, and his very first pokemon is a level 100 Kyogre. Just drops that in your lap, 'ta-da.'

Oh, and if you were hoping to use traded pokemon or ones you'd ported in from another savefile, well, the badge requirements to have your pokemon obey you haven't been adjusted at all, so you gotta edit them again to have your ID or suffer as your fourth gym, bearing level 50 pokemon, gives you the badge to let level 40 pokemon obey you.

It's pretty good about making rare items, vitamins, and EV-boosting items readily accessible, but no similar effort was made for EV-removing berries, so I had no way to fix my team's EVs short of hoping the berry master gives me what I need one day or making adjustments in the save editor.

I'm trying to work out how to retool my team to get past the first trainer in victory road when they drop dragonite and lugia in double battle format in front of you. Perhaps my Weavile from my last romhack?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: October 25, 2022, 09:21:21 pm »

Trying to get all the alpha pokemon in PL:A. Still need magnamite and the fossils. Have a surplus of magneton and magnezone, as well as shiny alphas (heracross+alakazam,) so I'm thinking about just trading for the rest.

11/14/22:
Traded for the magnemite. Caught a shiny shieldon, but still no alpha fossils. (Edit: Caught alpha rampardos a day after posting this.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 10:05:24 pm by Bumber »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: November 18, 2022, 04:19:10 pm »

New games dropped today. I got Violet, because the box-art Pokemon looked cooler. I've played up to reaching the first Pokemon Center... which actually took quite a bit of time. Got the grasscat as a starter, because the other two looked kinda dumb. The game takes place in Paldea, based off of Spain.

Most interesting feature so far is that you can have your lead Pokemon follow you around, and they'll go around picking up items and automatically fighting random wild Pokemon. "Automatic" in that it's instant and has no input from you - HP does get lost, but PP for moves is not. It's basically auto-leveling for your Pokemon, just keep an eye on their HP.

Another feature that slightly annoys me is that all TMs are now single-use again(as opposed to infinite TMs/single TRs last game), and they have to be crafted using bits dropped by defeating wild Pokemon. It does look like that recipes for new TMs are gained by receiving/finding the TM, meaning that once you have one, you can always craft more. The only TM I've gotten so far is Swift, which you get right away after meeting your rival Fitgirl Senpai.

EDIT: I will mention one problem I had. While catching an Azurill right next to the river before the first Pokemon Center, the game started lagging hard, possibly because it was loading/culling assets from different map zones. I was worried the game was going to crash then.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 04:21:17 pm by Akura »
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 463