Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 672103 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

water/fighting and grass/fighting, just for the meme

Everybody was kung-fu fighting type
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The acronym is SS.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

We already had that with Soul Silver, though.

I think the shorthand for the upcoming versions should be SwoSh.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile

I definitely vote we go full Monster Hunter and call it Pokemon SnS when referring to it collectively. Sword n Shield is the best weapon, anyway. I'm not biased at all.

A little bit off the current topic, I find myself wishing they'd done something crazier with their big outing on Switch, like putting Pokemon on the overworld in actual size and eschewing battle transitions entirely by letting you immediately send out a 'mon and battle a thing then and there. Something like that. I never expect any changes to the battle system to happen, but I think the world would feel a lot more alive and fun to explore if they made it more open and... dare I say, less traditionally videogamey?

Dunno. After watching the new trailer, I can't shake the feeling that Pokemon is still stuck in the era before most RPGs shed their hardware-limited conventions and started to experiment. I also realize that what I'm saying can't be anything new, but I know for a fact that a lot of people were hoping for a game-changer with the series coming to a new home console, and what we got was decidedly... normal.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Whereas at least some of my more vocal friends were wanting it to be more normal after Pokemon Go and Let's Go.  I can't say I blame them too much.

That said, I wouldn't really mind pokemon visible on the overworld, since that lets you skip nuisance fights, and some of the catch changes made in Pokemon Go and Let's Go, since that means less wanton beating up of random animals you come across.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A little bit off the current topic, I find myself wishing they'd done something crazier with their big outing on Switch, like putting Pokemon on the overworld in actual size and eschewing battle transitions entirely by letting you immediately send out a 'mon and battle a thing then and there. Something like that. I never expect any changes to the battle system to happen, but I think the world would feel a lot more alive and fun to explore if they made it more open and... dare I say, less traditionally videogamey?

Dunno. After watching the new trailer, I can't shake the feeling that Pokemon is still stuck in the era before most RPGs shed their hardware-limited conventions and started to experiment. I also realize that what I'm saying can't be anything new, but I know for a fact that a lot of people were hoping for a game-changer with the series coming to a new home console, and what we got was decidedly... normal.

You've hit on the exact reason why there are so many people that played Gen 1 and never played another Pokemon game, and why Pokemon Go got so many people back into the series. When Pokemon was released in Japan in 1996 it was already well behind the times for an RPG. It was released far into the era of game mechanics like party battles, active time battles, overworld encounter management, advanced equipment interactions, and various character growth and customization systems.
Gen 1 succeeded because of its groundbreaking social aspects and the core focus on collectability, not because of its battle system or general mechanics.

I was a freshman in high school when Gen 2 came out in the US and the disappointment, even among the younger kids, was palpable. We all assumed that Pokemon would be like many of the other RPG series of the time where core mechanics would be overhauled, tweaked, and revisited. Instead we got a middling expansion pack.

People love the social and collectability aspects of Pokemon; the game absolutely shines when it succeeds in getting people together in the same room. Pokemon Go was a phenomena because someone was finally brave enough to do something (heck, anything) different with a major Pokemon game, and simultaneously revisited the IRL social aspect that made Gen 1 so unique. It's why my home town of 20,000 can get 50+ Pokemon Go players gathered in a park on a Tuesday afternoon for a raid, despite the declarations from Pokemon purists that the game has been dead for years.

SnS will sell a boatload of copies thanks to nostalgia, but they risk losing a bunch of people who are finally interested in the series again in the hope that the developers might finally do something beyond clinging to early 90's Game Boy RPG tropes.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

I've been thinking about it a little and I wonder if that all has something to do with why I lost interest after gen 2.  There was a new region, new pokemon, new attacks and all of that, but mechanically it was very similar to the original games.  I wasn't really hoping for more than that, but if there had been more maybe it would have held my interest longer.  I never even completed the gen 2 pokedex, which I did at least 2 or 3 times for gen 1.

I think maybe I was just burnt out though.  The new mechanics like breeding didn't really grab my interest very much for some reason.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile

That gameplay being the same actually has a hooking effect on me.
After all, think about any games you like that have Sequels... Usually, they will have similar, if not exactly the same Gameplay*, so it's one of the Poke-world Staples IMHO.
(*Sure many try to make improvements, some succeed, some fail miserably and some even outright don't care.)

Gamefreak may be losing Version-Players due to the Monotonous Gameplay. But in my case, that helps cement the realism of how the Poke-World works.
The Alola Trial system was the first real shake-up, but sadly, it was still just Gyms, as the not-natural-at-all trial barricades blocked your path, which defied the whole purpose of working with your Pokemon to explore, which was a marketing thing of the Alola Region.(Use your pokemon to explore Alola. In Alola Pokemon and Humans Work together to overcome things.)
That said hopefully Galar makes good on that promise and thus is more Open. Better late than never.

Oh and Gamefreak, I would oh so love a Fire-Fairy Dual type pokemon, please!
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New game announced Pokemon snack, you eat pokemon. The ditto level is my favorite

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

From the same announcement:

Pokemon Stack, it's Pokemon-themed Tetris.
Pokemon Smack, it's like Pokemon-Amie but awful.
Pokemon Lack, it's marketed as an authentic AR experience but is actually just cheap sunglasses.
Pokemon Crack, it's that one Pokemon game everyone's been wishing for but oh wait they just cancelled it.
Pokemon Mac, it's regular Pokemon but all items cost 10 times more.
Pokemon Black, it's a new main series game introducing the brand-new Unova region with over 150 new Pokemon.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: ALL YOUR GIMMICKS COMBINED
« Reply #6598 on: June 05, 2019, 08:25:36 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_dgvgpC8Nw

so the direct just happened

sheep are friend shaped
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:34:54 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: ALL YOUR GIMMICKS COMBINED
« Reply #6599 on: June 05, 2019, 11:35:22 am »

Apparently it's French name is essentially Sheepsheep. It knows what it is.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 463