Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last fort, I had a bunch of archer's that weren't firing arrows...  (Read 1450 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

I saw they had quivers and were armed with crossbows (that's when I noticed they had round shields), so I changed their uniform to buckler.

Yet... they weren't re loading on ammo (I never see the ammo listed in the inventory).

It's weird.  I would see them shoot, then they'd run out.

then I was having a hard time ever seeing them fire anything after that, maybe one or two...

do they need to be dis activated to rearm?

Do quiver's wear out?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Last fort, I had a bunch of archer's that weren't firing arrows...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:39:56 pm »

what were your ammo settings. In a low ammo case, the "hunter squad (even if you have none) may claim all

again to claimed ammo
on break or sleeping dwarfs might have claimed all ammo
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 02:44:01 pm »

i had a ton of ammo (btw, a lot of ammo was set to F, so I unforbid it).

I mean I had a ton of ammo.

I had my military to metal bolts, and my hunters to wood.

and I had a ton of ammo.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 03:03:52 pm »

Were they stationed? The best way to work marks dwarves is that instead of stationing them on a wall is to set up a patrol route that leads back to the stockpile. Then they will refill their quivers when they go back to the stockpile. Also have you messed with ammo settings at all? A lot of people forget that the ammo screen is a "per squad" setting, not a "per dwarf" setting. So if you set it to 100 then only 100 ammo will be used for the entire squad, not 100 per dwarf.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:06:59 pm »

If you unforbid fired shots, then a dwarf will only take that one bolt, not a stack. Maybe they just fired there -2- bolts already.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:40:32 pm »

Sooo, what do you mean by a ton of ammo? 5,000 bolts? No? Then you did not have a ton of ammo, you had a severe shortage of ammo.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:50:35 pm »

I think it was the 100 per squad limitation I had set.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 05:13:48 pm »

If you unforbid fired shots, then a dwarf will only take that one bolt, not a stack. Maybe they just fired there -2- bolts already.

I could have sworn that Toady changed it at some point so that quivers held multiple stacks to get around this issue?  Or do they only hold a few stacks, regardless of size?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 05:59:39 pm »

I could have sworn that Toady changed it at some point so that quivers held multiple stacks to get around this issue?  Or do they only hold a few stacks, regardless of size?
If you look in their quivers, you'll see they carry a lot of bolts of different types. For example, one dwarf I just looked at has 15 ashen bolts, 5 goat bone bolts, and 5 goblin bone bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 02:45:27 am »

If you look in their quivers, you'll see they carry a lot of bolts of different types. For example, one dwarf I just looked at has 15 ashen bolts, 5 goat bone bolts, and 5 goblin bone bolts.

most definately solved. I've had a dwarf with about 10 different stacks in the quiver, most of which were single bolts

I think it was the 100 per squad limitation I had set.

definately. 100 is enough for 4 dwarfs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:13 am »

definately. 100 is enough for 4 dwarfs

100 is definitely enough for 2 dwarves. A dwarf can easily take 49 bolts. Like he shoots one bolt of his stack of 25, then grabs another stack of 25 so he has at least 25 bolts. In practise I find that you should budget 35-40 bolts per dwarf in the squad, but 50 will provide absolute assurance that all dwarves will have bolts if there are enough in the fortress.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

chmilz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 10:25:49 am »

I'm slow today, how do I look in equipped quivers to determine if ammo scarcity is my problem?

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 10:42:03 am »

Just a wild guess, but in title you refer to arrows not bolts.