Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urist McNevernude  (Read 2097 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
Urist McNevernude
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:41:20 pm »

So now that clothes are wearing out and my clothing industry is up to speed, is there a way to stop my dorfs leaving their worn out stuff all over the bloody place?

I don't want to go into the stocks screen and manually investigate every piece of clothing to designate dumping, there must be a quicker way to do this. Somebody tell me what it is, please?
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McNevernude
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:45:06 pm »

dfhack cleanowned

yes, it's a little broken at the moment
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 01:15:04 pm »

I'm not on DF at the moment but lemme see if I can remember the button path...

d -> b -> d

to dump items in a square. Do that, highlight and hit enter twice, and every piece in that pile will be dumped. This will keep you from having to go through the stocks screen and all that. I tend to ignore it though, and when the caravans come I just send off all the discarded worn clothes to them. Saves me from having to pump out crafts in a bind.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:16:38 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:16:30 pm »

doesn't work well on owned items, good try though
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:17:34 pm »

true, but normally when my dwarves get new clothes, they completely abandon their old clothes, and this allows them to be dumped or sold. If it's the cluttered look that bothers you, d -> b -> h   will hide them completely.

Good try though. =P
Legacy of Insightshields

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 01:23:53 pm »

they'll stay owned for a long time, longer if the dwarf had time to get them to his room. I've seen multiple sets of clothing in a room. So, hm, well, you know?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »

I normally have them completely disown them on the spot, as new clothes are made. Had a legendary clothier pumping out shirts, trousers, and shoes [what I consider basics and enough to avoid naked dwarves] which caused a TON [clothier was -very- fast.] of various worn clothing items to be strewn about. I checked them as I saw them and they werent owned, so I hauled them to the trade depot and unloaded them on the humans.

What humans want with smelly, hole-y dwarf clothes is beyond me.
Legacy of Insightshields

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 02:22:05 pm »

"I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole... in my shirt".
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »

I normally have them completely disown them on the spot, as new clothes are made. Had a legendary clothier pumping out shirts, trousers, and shoes [what I consider basics and enough to avoid naked dwarves] which caused a TON [clothier was -very- fast.] of various worn clothing items to be strewn about. I checked them as I saw them and they werent owned, so I hauled them to the trade depot and unloaded them on the humans.

ok, how

owned items can't be dumped or hauled. Outside of dfhack I know no other way to stop ownership fast, dropped items stay owned for some time, I experimented with a fort that had no storage in bedrooms..., and even that isn't a failsafe. I'm not being my usual wise ass or joke making self now, If you can do this, I want to know how (and spread it)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »

Beats me. I just noticed that, in this fort I'm in, whenever a dwarf claims new clothes, he immediately disowns his old clothes. This fort has no personal bedrooms [yet. I have 96 dwarves and like 36 bedrooms.] so all bedrooms are just small rooms with a bed and cabinet. Anytime I see a dwarf go claim more, they'll drop their current clothes, and when I look at them they will be unowned.
Legacy of Insightshields

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:55:47 pm »

So I've just noticed, due to some nice human traders, that my dorfs have been storing worn clothes in my finished crafts bins, possibly waiting until the owned tag vanished first, possibly hoping I wouldn't notice the shortage of bins due all the vendor trash I tend to have my guys churn out constantly.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 03:08:59 pm »

Beats me. I just noticed that, in this fort I'm in, whenever a dwarf claims new clothes, he immediately disowns his old clothes. This fort has no personal bedrooms [yet. I have 96 dwarves and like 36 bedrooms.] so all bedrooms are just small rooms with a bed and cabinet. Anytime I see a dwarf go claim more, they'll drop their current clothes, and when I look at them they will be unowned.
Yeah, I've been experiencing the same thing. Though from my experiences dwarves haven't been only having one suit of clothes. Rather once they hit 2-3 then they start to drop old ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 03:10:12 pm »

I JUST had a mason drop his pants [?!] on top of castle, because they got xwornx and he went to pick up more. I immediately checked his xpantsx [?!] and they do not have an owned tag, so he disowned them immediately after dropping them. I am not crazy.

Edit: And again. Only this time the dwarf dropped his pants, shirt, and shoes, and went to get more. Right as they got xwornx. So this is something I can repeat as well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:13:24 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 03:45:09 pm »

ok, how

owned items can't be dumped or hauled. Outside of dfhack I know no other way to stop ownership fast, dropped items stay owned for some time, I experimented with a fort that had no storage in bedrooms..., and even that isn't a failsafe. I'm not being my usual wise ass or joke making self now, If you can do this, I want to know how (and spread it)

When was the last time you checked this? Before or after Toady fixed clothing ownership? What methodology did you use to check? You seem pretty sure of yourself for someone who has a record of being wrong at least as often as he is right.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 01:45:50 am »

You seem pretty sure of yourself for someone who has a record of being wrong at least as often as he is right.

Off topic: That doesn't seem like a very nice thing to say and was probably intended to cause offense.  Comments like that are better sent in a PM, otherwise you risk derailing the OP's thread.

On topic: For what it's worth, the dwarves in my last fortress, who's world was gen'd with 34.07 and was running in 34.11, would discard their clothes on the ground and they would remained owned for a long period of time.  My current fortress is the same, gen'd in 34.07, running 34.11, but is too young yet to have anyone discard any clothing.  More data tomorrow.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.
Pages: [1] 2