Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Guide  (Read 1309 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Guide
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:34:10 am »

Illustrated by Tim Denee, written by Peter Tyson

It looks interesting, but a price tag on a manual for a free game seems a little wonky. I don't know about Toady's policy on that either, but I suppose we'll find out.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Guide
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:37:55 am »

There is already a thread on this in the actual section where we talk about DF.
This is the section where we talk about everything, EXCEPT DF.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:59 am »

The other thread is about the guide itself. This topic was about the legal ramifications, as I'm not sure whether or not the author will run into copyright issues. (Which would be entirely up to Toady.) Note that Tim Denee has posted his artwork in the lower forums before, and as such I assumed the same audience (the lower forums) might want to hear about it. Many lower forumites (including myself) rarely if ever check the upper boards and would never have heard about this.

Moreover, there is no need to shout.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:51:08 am »

What's wrong with a price tag on a guide to a free game? Third party guides are published all the time, and have been for a great many years. What with the internet, it's not such a big industry anymore, but I certainly don't see anything wrong with it - he spent time writing a book, with free updates to come, and he wants to be compensated for it by people who make us of it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53:13 am »

As I said, I have no idea about such things. I'm personally happy that the book was written, I love Tim's artwork and think it's great that they're making an updated copy with each major DF release. (Though having played DF already I probably won't buy it, but it could be useful to others.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:57 am »

I don't see this being useful though. It might be interesting for some, but 20 bucks is a lot to ask for something that can be found for free all over the internet. We already have really high quality ways to learn how to dwarf forts in the form of the wiki.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08:59 am »

There is that. Many of the people who would be his initial market already know how to play the game. On the other hand, it could suddenly become useful if advertised to people who hadn't played, and therefore didn't know about the wiki, or Capntastic, trial and error, or the rest of the internet.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:15:31 am »

Well. Maybe. But dwarf fortress is one hell of a dense game. It's going to need to be a really really really good guide to be able to help people who would not be able to help themselves with all the free content.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:00 am »

Yeah, i think that its a good book, but the problem is, would you really spend 20 bucks to learn a free game you have never heard of before?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:18:42 am »

I don't know about Toady's policy on that either, but I suppose we'll find out.
Considering Toady wrote the introduction for the book, he's evidently aware of the project. I wouldn't expect him to start objecting to it at this point.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:48 am »

As I said, I am clueless. Good to hear, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 04:46:19 am »

Yeah, I think I read in the other thread that Toady's getting a cut or somesuch.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »

I hope Toady gets some share of the royalties, or something.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 08:55:29 pm »

It's really a more posh and concise version of the wiki, I suppose. People can choose whether to figure it out using the free (and it must be said, very good) resources online or pay have this copy - which is (presumably, going by the guy's previous works) beautifully illustrated and (hopefully) also extremely helpful - and have it on hand for whenever. I'm totally in favour of it and if I have 20 bucks spare I might be just pick up a copy because books are great just in general.

I wonder how relevant the book's going to remain as DF is updated? That's the real sticking point and what the free online guides have over it. I'll admit I know nothing about the project though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 09:37:36 pm »

Sounds like he's updating the e-book every time a major DF update comes out.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: [1] 2