Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not sleeping in their rooms...  (Read 5443 times)

firelord84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not sleeping in their rooms...
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:11:30 am »

I went a little overboard in my fractal dormitory design.  I have at least 30 more beds than I do dwarves, all assigned as bedrooms.  And I checked, all the dwarves do "own" a bedroom with a cabinet and coffer.  However, oftentimes they'll plunk down in the middle of the hallway, get a bad thought from sleeping on the ground and then complain about the noise... only to get up and go get something from the room they own! Very odd.

I've witnessed this with both military and non-military dwarves.  I do have some squads on an alternating schedule where they have to sleep in the barracks, but they're sleeping on the ground right next to a bed assigned to be used by their squad!  This doesn't happen extremely often, but enough to be annoying and decrease some dwarves to be unhappy if they've had something bad happen recently.

Any ideas?  I'm on 34.07.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not sleeping in their rooms...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:57 am »

Spruce up the place with some barracks and dormitories.  Could be too many footfalls, to travel to get to the bedroom, so they plop down.  I like to double my hospital beds as a dormitory.  And keep a barracks up top, near my siege area.  That's just me.  Even doing that, I still see what you report.

Do you know about hunters?  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

firelord84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:34:45 am »

So they're just too flat-out exhausted to walk to their rooms, eh?  Interesting idea.  Are they also discouraged by high traffic?  I have a 1x3 central staircase that is the main shaft of my fortress which can get pretty crowded with my population of 220 and all they freaking dogs and pigs.

Most people talk about catsplosions.  Well, I'm facing a pig crisis right now.  So many pigs!  I have noticed they can be milked though, which I find odd.  It's actually making milking in my fortress a full-time job.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:41 am »

What's the crisis?  The problem with cats is they adopt dwarves and then can't be butchered.  Pigs don't adopt, you can slaughter them anytime.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:46:57 am »

Pigs are probably pretty good in combat too. So you could pasture them near where you expect goblins to arrive. It will give them something to kill that isn't a dwarf, and will give you warning of the arrival of an ambush. Plus, bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:11:41 am »

too bad tame animals killed in battle won't be butchered, scrap the bacon
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:50:51 am »

1x3 is borderline for a main stairway in a big fort, 2x3 or 3x3 seems to be preferred.  It can also help if there is empty floor surrounding some or all of the stairway on each level so that dwarves can step around each other.  (Main corridors can then be either 4-wide or 5-wide.)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:46:23 am »

If there is a lot of bumping and reactions going on, yeah that's it.  Mabye design a more direct express lane to the bedrooms, if you can do that and curve any 90 degree corners. 

Someone here said they eat before they sleep, so try and run a mainline from the dining areas to the bedroom areas.  I cannot remember my sources, so I could be wrong about eating before bedtime.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »

If there is a lot of bumping and reactions going on, yeah that's it.  Mabye design a more direct express lane to the bedrooms, if you can do that and curve any 90 degree corners. 

Someone here said they eat before they sleep, so try and run a mainline from the dining areas to the bedroom areas.  I cannot remember my sources, so I could be wrong about eating before bedtime.
Dwarves eat when hungry, drink when thirsty, and sleep when drowsy. Any connection between them is based solely on their relative schedules.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

firelord84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:56 pm »

1x3 is borderline for a main stairway in a big fort, 2x3 or 3x3 seems to be preferred.  It can also help if there is empty floor surrounding some or all of the stairway on each level so that dwarves can step around each other.  (Main corridors can then be either 4-wide or 5-wide.)

Yeah, I finding that with a huge fortress.  My main halls are 3-wide and if I give a mass dump command, it can be chaos.  The beginning of this fort was just attempting to find a way to survive the first ambushes and invasion.  I had a plan, but I had only worked with very small forts before they got destroyed previously.  I think for my next fort I'm ready for a mega-project.

Oh, I just breached the first cavern, but there's no magma there.  I guess I'll have to wait till cavern 3 or so for it.  I walled off the breach before anything could get through, but where I breached it about 3 z-levels above the cavern floor.  I'm planning what my cavern defensive architecture will look like now.  I'm also planning on taking my animals down into the fortress now that spores are released and I'm building pen areas in my single dirt layer.

Does anyone know how fast cave fungus/moss grows?  Do the pen sizes in the Grazer page of the Wiki apply underground as well?