Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: map freezes to ice once a year, I have drinks... what do I do to avoid thirst?  (Read 2008 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

is it more than drinks?  Do I need an underground watersource to tap into for a well?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More drinks.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the water is above ground, it will freeze on a map which gets cold. You can't put a well over frozen water.

It's easy to fix. Simply dig a water storage area near the water you want. Then pump water from the pool into the water storage, and build the well on the water storage. The water storage and the well have to be underground to stop the freezing problem.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well that fortress failed, I had 12 dwarf's, and about 6 died...

I built a well all the way to the caverns, but still was getting no water source messages...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

was the well above ground or under?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

A reservoir did the trick for me. I started by digging an underground waterway under the position of the well and pumped water in it.

Problem is during winter there is no water flow so the well dried up. I simply enlarged the tunnel under the water source and channeled down a level. Now there is enough water to last the winter and it is renewed at spring. Underground water at -4 level never froze.

For evacuation I simply dug to the edge of the map and carved a fortification.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

you only need water to clean wounds, give water to the wounded, make plaster casts... I think that's it.

make more booze
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you only need water to clean wounds, give water to the wounded, make plaster casts... I think that's it.
dwarfs like having baths

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

dwarfs like having baths

not really required though. If they are dirty, they should spent more time outdoors while it's raining. And stop complaining about the rain. It's not rain, it's a cleansing shower provided by Urist. Or wash with lye.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

damn, just read the well needed to be underground as well... that's why...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and once a tile is exposed to light, it will always count as above ground. so much fun

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the OP is trying to ask if booze freezes? If that's the question, no your drinks will not freeze.
Feeling down? Click Here!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the OP is trying to ask if booze freezes? If that's the question, no your drinks will not freeze.

I was not asking this, it was my first time in a cold biome, i died of thirst.  I did have my booze topside (for a time), but they still died even when it was underground.

That's what I don't get, I had 20 booze on the books and they were dying of thirst, 12 dwarf's shouldn't die that way if there's 20 barrels left.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you have 20 drinks or 20 barrels of drinks? Anyhow, next time, dig yourself an underground water storage and well, and make lots more booze. My bookkeeper tells me I have about 4000 drinks, which I think is enough. When it gets down to about 2000, I'll get the brewer to start making more.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

20 barrels is not the same as 20 units of booze.  Each barrel can hold up to 25 units of booze (or even more if you farm with fertilizer).  Also, while a dwarf is drinking from a given barrel, no other dwarf can get a drink from that same barrel.

A dwarf drinks twice a season, so your 12 dwarves would go through 24 units of booze per season, or 96 per year.  20 units is just not enough.  I like to make 5x my population in booze as a minimum.  So for 12 dwarves, I would take immediate action if I have less than 60 units of booze on hand.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: [1] 2