Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Child drained of blood in plain sight... no witnesses?  (Read 2046 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Child drained of blood in plain sight... no witnesses?
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:50 pm »

So I have dug out a big empty room, put a bunch of beds in it and made it a dormitory and a meeting zone.
A dwarven child sleeping in one of these beds was found dead, drained of all blood. Yet there are no witnesses? How is that possible? It's an empty open space, there were tons of other children around there at the same time.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Child drained of blood in plain sight... no witnesses?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:28 pm »

"Okay kiddies, theres socks on THAT side of the room! Dont look over here until you find them!"

I assume they were also sleeping or facing the other way. The game does handle what way people are facing.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:43:34 pm »

I've found that if three beds are in a corner and a dwarf is asleep in the corner bed, vampires can feed on them with impunity. The solution is just to remove one of the beds on either side.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:10:12 am »

Hm, well the beds were arranged like this:
Code: [Select]
BBB
BBB
BBB

And all the kids were in the meeting zone I designated around the beds.
If you say the game takes into account which way someone is looking then... well I guess I could assume that it was so crowded that nobody noticed?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:49:02 am »

Hm, well the beds were arranged like this:
Code: [Select]
BBB
BBB
BBB

And all the kids were in the meeting zone I designated around the beds.
If you say the game takes into account which way someone is looking then... well I guess I could assume that it was so crowded that nobody noticed?
First, check to see who is your captain of the guard, crime reporting is entirly dependant on him. If hes a vamp, or incapacitated, wont go into the justice screen. In terms of cathcing, no, dwarves can see through other dwarves if there were too many you'd be spammed with responses. No, Its more likely that no one was there at the particualar moment. Heres wahat you do
1. Look at each dwarf and inspect their thoughts, vamps dont sleep or eat so they dont get thoughts about it.
2. For every dwarf who has eat/sleep thoughts, mark them by enabling alchemy or something, nicknames maybe.
3. a little while later, repeat.
4.once you've investigated for a while, use dwarf thereapist to see who isnt enabled, invvestigate those people.
5.if you find one who looks suspicious, (i.e. Loong former associations list,dead spouse, carries jewelry of dwarf nail, tooth and hair), look them in a room and se if they get hungry.
6. if so, try again; if not,  you have your vamp.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:41 pm »

Cooool. Then I can solve my baby boom problem :)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 12:53:01 pm »

as to witnesses, do you have a captain of the guard that is not busy all the time? People need to give a witness report before there is a witness
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 02:20:23 pm »

Ohhh, that makes sense. No, I don't have one.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »

as to witnesses, do you have a captain of the guard that is not busy all the time? People need to give a witness report before there is a witness
I just said that:
First, check to see who is your captain of the guard, crime reporting is entirly dependant on him. If hes a vamp, or incapacitated, wont go into the justice screen.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 02:22:09 am »

I read over it, so sorry
 happy?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 07:49:50 am »

There's another obvious way to tell a vampire apart. If it's been a while since they arrived, the vampire will be very, very sober.
See, while vampires do not need to drink, they DO still need alcohol to function at their best. So, after a while, the vampire will start to...slow...down...from...lack...of...alcohol. You can detect this in the thoughts screen; one sober dwarf in a fortress full of booze is probably a vampire.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 03:58:37 pm »

Hm, I still don't get it how can vampires simply eat a dwarf in plain sight and no dwarf will interrupt...
The very reason why I put all my beds in plain sight of everyone was a defence against vampires. But if dwarfs simply shrug and say eh when they see a vampire drinking blood of another dwarf then that just makes very little sense...