Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can baddies move upstairs diagonally?  (Read 999 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can baddies move upstairs diagonally?
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:48:29 pm »

So I started a long stack of up/down stairways through the rocks and punched through a cavern. I couldn't wall it up because the whole was in mid-air, so I floored over the up/down stair that lead to the whole. However I have a few more up/down stairs adjacent that I did not floor over and I'm wondering if flying creatures can path diagonally from an opening one z-level down, to an opening one-zlevel higher.

Looks kind of like this:
Code: [Select]
XX
XF
That is upper zlevel, with F being the floored over stair. Then, one z-level down:
Code: [Select]
WW
WX
Here I have just this one up/down stair, and the "W" is natural wall. Below this is a whole into the caverns. So creatures can fly up to this z-level, but can they than fly up and diagonally into my other stairs, ignoring the floor I've put?[/code]
Feeling down? Click Here!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Can baddies move upstairs diagonally?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:57:50 am »

I'm pretty sure no, but I'd wait for a 2nd opinion if I were you
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:41 am »

AFAIK, no.

When creating a long up/down stairway and you punch-through, you should replace the bottom stairs on the last useful level with constructed "up" stairs.  This will seal you off from the caverns.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:17:31 am »

I'm trying to remember If I ever had that happen... Well, first order of business to prevent it is to change any up/down to up only
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:37:08 am »

I've seen fliers get through a down stair with a wall beneath it, so they're not just limited to going straight up and down through z levels.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:18 am »

I've seen fliers get through a down stair with a wall beneath it, so they're not just limited to going straight up and down through z levels.

Walls are a bit different. They sort of act as a floor to the level above, but not really. Fliers can squeak through the lack of a proper floor on the level directly above a wall.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:27 am »

considering the situation then: no, you're not save