Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: I just realized something  (Read 13431 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: I just realized something
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2012, 01:20:09 pm »

No wonder I never found it, it's below everything else...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2012, 04:12:10 am »

I've even memorised most of the bbcode, so I can format while quick replying.

I don't do it for that reason, but I often compose in Notepad (<=or insert any other given text editor, here, from emacs to vi to edlin, depending on what system I'm on..), and it's useful to know that highlighting something and <Ctrl-I>ing it does not work, unlike on the forum's full editor, indeed, it (depending on the editor) is as likely to just replace what you highlit with nothing/something-ctrl-I-like...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2012, 11:33:58 am »

Go to the full reply page. Push the button with the red A, on the far right of the second row. Press the button and watch the magic, if you've not before.

And I've memorized most of the BBCode because it's simple and I use some of them frequently.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2012, 01:09:00 pm »

Uh, what does it do, Lector? o_o

I can see it smooshes my words but what does it doooooo.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2012, 01:12:47 pm »

Turns the editor into WYSIWYG mode, so that the interface buttons apply changes automatically instead of you inserting text. (Or the buttons doing it for you.) It's alright, but I just type in the tags as I go so it doesn't really do much for me.

EDIT: Holy crap, there's a [ftp] tag? Anyone ever used it?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:14:49 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2012, 01:27:23 pm »

What Barbarossa said. It's more useful for the ctrl+i and other shortcuts. There's an option in profile settings to turn it on by default. Not something I personally like, but it's neat.

I don't really understand what this FTP is. The tag inserts a link to a file at a site with a URL starting with ftp:// . I have never seen that used, that I know of.
This is where I got my understanding.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:51 pm »

It's for file transfers, but apparently requires special servers. My research has proven just as inconclusive.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2012, 02:35:30 pm »

This seems to be a decent explanation:
http://serverfault.com/questions/87793/why-does-anyone-use-ftp
But it's mostly an obsolete format any way.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2012, 08:35:31 am »

You ought to see the kind of file-access methods I had to use when I first started.  Oh, FTP was available, for certain things through the TCP/IP networks, but not all places I might wish to link to from my Uni were that.  X25, or something...  And I've been racking my brains for what we had to use to transfer files...  Something to do with a frog or a toad...

Had to quickly go out before I could post this message, and just as I arrived back, I remembered...  KERMIT. ;)  (That and ZMODEM, which I also remember...  And remember always having to look up the manual, every time...  Must not have used that enough.)

Anyway, anonymous (and not-so-anonymous) FTP is still alive and well, from what I've seen, although generally as an "ftp://..." URI in a browser or within a programme's own internal update-seeking mechanism[1], these days, and undoubtedly swamped by seemingly more direct "http://" prefixed file accesses, and thus probably unnoticed by the average Web2.0/Smartphone-generation member, even when they do end up using it.

[1] Well, when I've run a packet sniffer, for one reason or another, this is generally what certain programs still use...  I've also seen write-only (semi-)anonymous FTP services in use for report-backs...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:50 am »

Only times I've used ftp servers recently is when I want to get someone something quick, I open up the FTP port to my homebox, mount a folder for ftp access, and just give them my ip - no need to find a hosting site, or upload anything, quick and easy file transfers whenever they get around to grabbing the stuff.

The joys of FTP.

... is this not how everyone else transfers files, especially large ones, to other people?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2012, 09:24:54 am »

I just use mediafire :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2012, 04:42:37 pm »

... is this not how everyone else transfers files, especially large ones, to other people?
Dropbox.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2012, 05:10:46 pm »

Why not just post to a *.binaries.* news-group..?

(Actually, I can tell you several reasons why not, but I suspect mostly it's from popular ISPs and other NNTP-portalling entities tending to not host the binaries subset, thus lessening the availability.  There's also the fact that your possibly UUEncoded (optionally password-compressed) babies are going to be pecked over by whatever bored geeks there are happening to read your oeuvre, regardless of whether you're wanting it to be public or not...)

((No-one's mentioned torrents yet.  For similar reasons as the second caveat, above?  Mitigated, or in its own way made problematical, by the possibility of becoming seedless at some point after most people have downloaded it.))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]