Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Visual novel thread  (Read 45007 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: The Epicness of a game that is Katawa shoujo
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 12:33:17 am »

Regarding gameplay, I totally suggest Sakura Wars 5.  It has a tactical robot fighty thing that happens once or twice every chapter, between all the talking and reading stuff.  Also, style.

For regular ol' VNs, I probably have to suggest Saya no Uta.  The love interest is a [SPOILER_REDACTED].

Also OMGWTFOTL.  That one's good for a few kicks, genuflect.

Oh, and spoiler that plot twist, please?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 12:35:43 am »

What, am I the only person who played KiraKira and liked it or something?

@OP: You might want to change the top title to Visual Novel Thread or something like that.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 12:39:06 am »

Kira Kira looks really silly.  I haven't bothered.

I'm pretty excited that Nilum should be starting Higurashi Kai soon.  It's amazingly great.

EDIT:
Oh here's three I forgot for PSP fans (although one might be hard to do).

Corpse Party Blood Covered was done recently.  I really enjoyed XSEED's translation.

You might like Fate/extra too.  I couldn't get through the gameplay sludge.

Lastly and most favorite, Dangan Ronpa.  It's not translated ingame at all but there's a translation on the Something Awful forums being done here.  Pretty much Sony's Ace Attorney but I enjoy it vastly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:44:21 am by ToonyMan »

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 10:25:25 am »

What, am I the only person who played KiraKira and liked it or something?

@OP: You might want to change the top title to Visual Novel Thread or something like that.

Done ;) also kira kira? whats tha about
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Visual novel thread
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2012, 10:36:59 am »

I second Tsukihime and Saya no Uta. Both have pretty hardcorely messed up storylines so probably not recommended if you're sensitive to that sort of thing. But they're both damn good.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:04:58 pm by Caz »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2012, 11:53:44 am »

Is there any visual novel in which you are a murderer/psycho/evil dude that can do evil stuff ?

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 01:25:46 pm »

Tsukihime definitely has its moments, although being a psycho isn't really the focus.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:35 pm »

Tsukihime definitely has its moments, although being a psycho isn't really the focus.

Yeah, like meeting Arc for the first time. Settle down, Shiki.

Saya no Uta also has you involved in certain unneighbourly actions. Am I the only one that preferred the 'Bad' ending to the 'Good' and 'True' endings? Ryoko is a crazy awesome bitch.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 02:04:16 pm »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 02:22:51 pm »

I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 03:46:53 pm »

Saya no Uta also has you involved in certain unneighbourly actions. Am I the only one that preferred the 'Bad' ending to the 'Good' and 'True' endings?
That was also my favorite ending, yes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 07:42:14 pm »

Currently playing through Fate/Stay Night. Almost didn't soldier through the prologue, trying to drudge through to where the beginning of the 'real game' meets with where the prologue ended. I really don't like the drudgery up to this point (the story is 'meh' when you're just reliving the same three days as the prologue from a different POV). We'll see if I like it as I continue through it.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 08:08:31 pm »

If you don't like drudgery then you should probably stop playing FSN.  Or make liberal use of the text fastforwarding feature.

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 09:04:57 pm »

If you don't like drudgery then you should probably stop playing FSN.
This is definitely true. Nasu's writing is some of the most -- meandering? Rambling? I don't think either of those words really accurately describes it. It's the opposite of a prototypical galge. Tsukihime is even worse than FSN in that regard.

Some parts of FSN are really amazing, but there's a lot of sludge in between that won't appeal to everyone. Or even most. It picks up eventually, but even after it picks up there are sections that feel like a chore to read. And this is coming from someone who loves FSN to death. I seem to remember the entire second route, Unlimited Blade Works, being great, but I think I may have been intoxicated on the Nasuverse and as such cannot vouch for my memory's validity. It does get better as you get further in. The first time I tried to read FSN I stopped at the prologue (admittedly I was 13 and did not have the best attention span,) but the second time, years later, I stuck with it; now I'm a fan.
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 09:10:49 pm »

@Whoever asked what KiraKira was, it's a slice-of-life-style story about a guy and how he starts a band that's sorta punk but really more j-pop, and then his interactions with the other members of the band. It's funny and enjoyable, and I'm terrible at describing stuff.

Nasu does have that annoying habit of wandering off topic. I think I screamed at my monitor "What about [important topic that stopped being talked about" at least a dozen times in the first route of FSN at least a dozen times alone.

On the plus side, the universe is absolutely massive, and for anybody who enjoys it, there's easily 6th months worth of entertainment all considered. There's even a bunch of tie in paper books, animes, and movies, although the quality of some of them is questionable. (Seriously, I read Unlimited Blade Works, and I still have almost no idea what was going on in the movie.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16