Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first dragon  (Read 3606 times)

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
My first dragon
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:40:14 pm »

I have been playing for hundreds of hours now but today I had my first dragon turn up. Lots of cave dragons with goblin invasions, but this was my first real one.  Have heard lots about them being a little disappointing to the more advanced players but I loved mine!

Did not see much of the battle as forest was in flames from early on... one great big cloud of fire jetting in all directions.  Such !!FUN!!

My world is only 300 years old so I guess he was just a young un... still managed to incinerate most of my war dogs and a few of militia. 

Am off to make extra nice coffins for the brave lunatics who charged into the fray with their mix of leather and iron armour and promptly melted. :-)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first dragon
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:35 pm »

First dragon I had.

Killed by a child.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:50:37 pm »

youll have to slab the burnt up dwarves...

you cant put them in a coffin if the body is an indistgishable ash pile. On the bright side they will make good fertiliser for your forest. The Circle Of Life!
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:38:12 pm »

you cant put them in a coffin if the body is an indistgishable ash pile. On the bright side they will make good fertiliser for your forest. The Circle Of Life!

The appropriate response would be:
"What forest?"

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:54:16 pm »

Exactly. Suck it up pointy ears! :-)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 03:58:23 pm »

My first dragon came in my base, mollested a few kittens, then, some guy that just happened to be hauling a iron turmpet at the time (and for some reason was not in the burrow), was attacked by the dragon. The dragon blasted him with fire, and, he automaticaly attacked back with whatever happened to be in his hand, the trumpet. Then we had a fresh dragon with a trumpet embedded in his head. The trumpet-man caught fire, ran around abit, but actuly lived :3. I renamed him Badass Trumpet Version, and he lived a long happy life in my fort, then, everything changed when the goblin nation attacked....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:50:55 pm »

My first dragon chased a kitten, tried to breathe fire on it, missed and got caught in a cage trap.

I had a dungeon master and trained him to guard the fort.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »

My first dragon came in during a goblin siege.  He entered an access tunnel and encountered a squad of goblins with crossbows sitting around because their squad leader was stuck in a cage trap.  Dragon incinerates goblins (also the cages containing the squad leader and a few trolls) while goblins fill dragon full of bolts at close range.  Dwarves come out and pick up the pieces.

My second dragon boldly entered an access tunnel, dodged a trap into a magma pool, and simply swam across the magma and out.  He was then detoured into a narrow tunnel where a giant iron axe blade in a weapon trap did a one-shot decapitation kill of him.  The fort is still using dragon soap.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 07:45:59 pm »

my first dragon ran straight into a cage trap and (due to light raw editing) was tamed and trained. After it had been turned friendly this way, it melted 75% of my trap corridor and 100% of my military. Oh, and a goblin snatcher.

fire breathing pets are no use unless everything else you own can survive their breath attack
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »

fire breathing pets are no use unless everything else you own can survive their breath attack

Or are safely out of the way/already dead. Then they can torch everything they want.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 09:43:36 pm »

Or are safely out of the way/already dead. Then they can torch everything they want.
Pfft, thats no fun. I think havig a kittens fat melted off and surviving is more satisfying then killing a thief, in my opinion that is.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Kar98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:56 pm »

Does anyone know how to increase the amounts of megabeasts that come to a fort?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:29:26 pm »

Does anyone know how to increase the amounts of megabeasts that come to a fort?

Advanced worldgen, make "titans" 100.

You get 100 titans at the start, and alot more semis. If you keep caves low, they will meet up and make babies. Dragons and Minotaurs atleast.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 10:32:22 pm »

Should've tried a dragon turret instead of letting it wander freely
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 10:48:55 pm »

Dragons are a mixed bag.  They are pretty awesome when they flame up and roast an entire siege.  Then you trap them, train them and chain them up at your entrance.  And a single bowgoblin one-shots it with a bolt to the brain....

They need to be more heavily armored.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0