Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Plant Oil As Lubricant  (Read 7887 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Oil As Lubricant
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 12:07:18 pm »

Only problem with changing the colour is that you can make red things. How would you tell if a red gear needed lube? Perhaps we could get sparks or similar when in use. Alternatively have them flash like hungry dwarves when it gets bad.

Hmmm... Good point. I think that sparks might be a little much. The flashing idea would probably work. Perhaps, the object/gear would flash faster and faster, depending on how bad the situation is?

And what would happen if they ran for too long without lube? Would they deconstruct? Or would they just run at a slower speed?

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 12:13:51 pm »

You can't lubricate things with alcohol! Except dwarfs. Or maybe machinery too, if dwarven wine is really greasy, which it might be considering that it's made from strange purple mushrooms. Oh, and except using cetyl alcohol, but that's made from oil in the first place. You can't preserve dead bodies in yogurt, either, I'm pretty sure it just makes them get disgusting faster. Honey works, though. For preserving the bodies, not as lube, it makes very bad lube I should think.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2012, 12:19:34 pm »

And what would happen if they ran for too long without lube? Would they deconstruct? Or would they just run at a slower speed?

For gears and similar the power use should go up at least. I like the idea of things jamming too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2012, 12:23:52 pm »

You can't lubricate things with alcohol! Except dwarfs. Or maybe machinery too, if dwarven wine is really greasy, which it might be considering that it's made from strange purple mushrooms. Oh, and except using cetyl alcohol, but that's made from oil in the first place. You can't preserve dead bodies in yogurt, either, I'm pretty sure it just makes them get disgusting faster. Honey works, though. For preserving the bodies, not as lube, it makes very bad lube I should think.

GNOMEBLIGHT was to be used to preserve bodies. YOGURT was to CURE non-gnome type creatures of stomach problems brought on by the use of GOMEBLIGHT.

Thanks for pointing the thing about honey out, by the way (preserving the bodies). Perhaps, humans resort to using honey because gnomeblight doesn't have any effect on their corpses?

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2012, 12:41:50 pm »

For gears and similar the power use should go up at least. I like the idea of things jamming too.

Jamming gears seem like a LOT of Fun!!!

Urist McManager: You!!! Go check the windmill!!!
Urist ***McMechanic *looks over at the windmill*: Oh... It's fine...
Report: Windmill blade has become detached!!!
Report: Windmill blade slams CHILD in the head, brusing the brain!!!
Report: CHILD has died!!!
Urist McManager: NOW look what you've done!!!
Urist McMechanic: Hold on... It's not over yet...
Urist McManager *looks at far wall*: Shit...
*Windmill blade slams into wall, breaks it, and continues to tumble across the land*
Pause: A Vile Force Of Darkness Has Arrived!!!
Pause: A caravan from D'syug Ay'fgew'ys has arrived!!!
Urist McMechanic: See? Not all is lost!!!
Urist McManager: *smiles* 
*Windmill blade destroys caravan!!!*
Urist McMechanic: Well... Perhaps they will still help us fight off this siege?
*Windmill blade falls into a deep cavern and knocks over a cotton candy stick*
*The circus comes to town!!!*
*The clowns entertain the masses!!!*
Cut: Your strength has been broken.

***Hey!!! It's a rhyme!!!

Also, the power use thing also makes sense.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20:40 pm »

You can't lubricate things with alcohol! Except dwarfs. Or maybe machinery too, if dwarven wine is really greasy, which it might be considering that it's made from strange purple mushrooms. Oh, and except using cetyl alcohol, but that's made from oil in the first place.
At no point did I claim this was a good idea, just a dwarfy one. Kinda like paving the streats with gold.

About the windmill breaking: I don't think jamming would cause windmill blades (presumably one log apiece, and each lost reduces power yield by ~30?%) to fall off, I doubt that there would be any path direct for a falling log, however aerodynamic, to fall to CC, and I know that it couldn't break said CC. The eventual jamming thing makes sense, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 11:33:53 am »

When it comes to jamming there are a few ways it could work. A jam could be a permanent thing that requires a dwarf to come and fix it or it could be something that happens for a period of time and then fixes itself. I like the idea of having both.

A well oiled and maintained machine shouldn't jam at all but as the oil runs dry the machines should jam more and more frequently. These jams would clear themselves but would lead to machines being unreliable. Once it gets really bad it could then jam permanently and require the attention of a mechanic and some oil to get it going again.

I would kind of like the option to turn this off in init for those who like building computers and the like. Perhaps masterwork mechanisms wouldn't need oil at all?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 01:38:16 pm »

When it comes to jamming there are a few ways it could work. A jam could be a permanent thing that requires a dwarf to come and fix it or it could be something that happens for a period of time and then fixes itself. I like the idea of having both.
Speaking as someone with minimal training in mechanics, the "stuck until a dwarf comes to fix it" seems more likely.

A well oiled and maintained machine shouldn't jam at all but as the oil runs dry the machines should jam more and more frequently. These jams would clear themselves but would lead to machines being unreliable. Once it gets really bad it could then jam permanently and require the attention of a mechanic and some oil to get it going again.
Seems sensible. It certainly is, from a gameplay perspective.

I would kind of like the option to turn this off in init for those who like building computers and the like. Perhaps masterwork mechanisms wouldn't need oil at all?
I like both ideas.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »

Speaking as someone with minimal training in mechanics, the "stuck until a dwarf comes to fix it" seems more likely.

Seems sensible. It certainly is, from a gameplay perspective.

I like both ideas.

I agree with this.

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2012, 12:55:38 pm »

This might just be what we need to keep goblin invaders from climbing over the walls of our forts with the addition of climbing also rocknut oil and pig tallow/fat fire traps? mmmmm *goblins roast* in pig tallow/fat
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

Scriabin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:34 pm »

I was just thinking that, since we have minecarts now, the dwarves should be a le to use plant oils to lubricate the wheels/ball bearings on the carts. If the dwarves neglect to regularly oil the wheels, the carts would slow down, create sparks (which can light things on fire), or derail the carts.

I feel that this would just create more micromanagement that doesn't improve gameplay. I would rather that the use of oil would infer some kind of bonus like making surfaces slippery or something.

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2012, 06:22:03 pm »

I was talking about making the sides of the walls slippery, since if you haven't read the front page today the toady one was talking about adding climbing to the game so think about it goblins being able to climb up constructed surfaces. so unless you like adding roofs to your fortress walls with no ways in your going to need to be able to lube up your walls.
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2012, 09:13:41 pm »

He didn't quote you, now did he?

I agree, ZZ, that sounds like a good idea, and thanks for ressurecting an old thread rather than starting a redundant one.
Sig

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 01:41:48 am »

I don't support this idea. I think it would lead to a boring sort of micromanagement.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 06:44:59 am »

Whose idea, ZZ's or the OP's?
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6