Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Plant Oil As Lubricant  (Read 7904 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Oil As Lubricant
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:20 pm »

Well...I seem to recall that the Greenland (and presumably mainland, Icelnd, etc) Norse had skyr (sp?), which was something like yogurt. Since the Greenland Norse settlements crumbled sometime in the mid-1400s, it'd probably be possible for dwarves to do, if they had pastoral societies.
TLFR: If purring maggots ever work, and if skyr is like yogurt in the important ways, then yes, entirely possible.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:26 pm »

Well...I seem to recall that the Greenland (and presumably mainland, Icelnd, etc) Norse had skyr (sp?), which was something like yogurt. Since the Greenland Norse settlements crumbled sometime in the mid-1400s, it'd probably be possible for dwarves to do, if they had pastoral societies.
TLFR: If purring maggots ever work, and if skyr is like yogurt in the important ways, then yes, entirely possible.

Shall we just say "F*** it!!!" and bring yogurt to DF? It's close enough, right?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 06:37:49 am »

Probably.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 06:39:14 am »

Can we rerail this please. I distinctly remember this thread not being about Yoghurt.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 07:26:04 am »

What was it about again?

...Oh, right, using rock nut oil as lubticant, which lead to someone saying they'd like to use gnomeblight as lubricant to curb gnome thieves, which lead to speculations on other uses for gnomeblight, which lead to bacterial discussion, which lead to yogurt, which lead to Greenland and skyr.
I love this forum. Not even 40 posts yet.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 07:46:09 am »

What was it about again?

...Oh, right, using rock nut oil as lubticant, which lead to someone saying they'd like to use gnomeblight as lubricant to curb gnome thieves, which lead to speculations on other uses for gnomeblight, which lead to bacterial discussion, which lead to yogurt, which lead to Greenland and skyr.
To make it even more fun, the derailed post was actually about rails.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:47 am »

What was it about again?

To make it even more fun, the derailed post was actually about rails.
Very true!!!

Anyway, let's get back on topic, shall we? I don't want a good idea going to waste.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 02:41:36 pm »

Yes, let's get this topic back onto rails.

...Sorry, had to be said.
Anyways, back on topic: What other things could we lubricate, and what other things could we lubricate WITH?
I've got a basic list of both here.

Spoiler: Lubricants (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lubricans (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:22:27 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 03:48:43 pm »

Yes, let's get this topic back onto rails.

...Sorry, had to be said.
Anyways, back on topic: What other things could we lubricate, and what other things could we lubricate WITH?
I've got a basic list of both here.

Spoiler: Lubricants (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lubricans (click to show/hide)

Soap wouldn't be very good. It's not that it doesn't become slippery. It's just that it would have to be wet. Though, it might be interesting to build soap floors and watch the dwarves clean their feet by sliding across it...

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 02:13:15 am »

Dry soap could work like wax maybe.  Regardless, wax was certainly a lubricant throughout history and perhaps could be added to the list of possible lubricants if it hasn't already!  And I think certain greases could be byproducts of soap making I think maybe... and I think some soaps may have been used as emulsifiers for making some kinds of grease.  I need to look this up more.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:14:51 am by Andeerz »

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 07:16:42 am »

Soap, as far as I am aware, works because it emulsifies. It might work as a makeshift lubricant, though probably not as well as most oils. You want something ductile or fluid that is hydrophobic. Booze seems like a particularly bad lubricant to me.

Squeaky doors, on the other hand, are a nice idea along with the obvious ones. Perhaps squeaky doors cause noise like construction does, while lubricating them doesn't.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20:16 am »

Soap, as far as I am aware, works because it emulsifies. It might work as a makeshift lubricant, though probably not as well as most oils. You want something ductile or fluid that is hydrophobic. Booze seems like a particularly bad lubricant to me.
I don't care if alcohol is a bad lubricant. Most fortresses have a lot more of it than any non-water liquid, and water isn't flammable. Also, imagine being able to boast about having a fortress where your wine is used as track grease.

Squeaky doors, on the other hand, are a nice idea along with the obvious ones. Perhaps squeaky doors cause noise like construction does, while lubricating them doesn't.
Sounds good, although probably not as much noise. Also, once secret doors are implemented, having them all sqeaky is a big no-no.
Sig

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 11:52:13 am »

The other thing we need to do, is come up with a system to tell the player which objects need to be lubed. I'm thinking that the more lube something needs, the more of a certain color it becomes (like red). At full "health", the object would be its regular color (or green). Pressing 'K' on said object would output detailed information and a skilled mechanic would know when to apply fresh lube (as to not waste any) and would update the information more accurately than a shitty mechanic . On the other hand, the shitty mechanics would forget to apply fresh lube or apply too much, causing the lube stockpile to run out faster.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 11:59:39 am »

Only problem with changing the colour is that you can make red things. How would you tell if a red gear needed lube? Perhaps we could get sparks or similar when in use. Alternatively have them flash like hungry dwarves when it gets bad.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 12:04:19 pm »

Also, lubed objects should run 25-75% faster (depending on the amount of lube and the quality of the object). For example, let's say you pulled a lever that was attached to a floodgate. If I remember correctly, it takes 100 tics for the lever to have any effect on the floodgate. The object could run at (Please excuse my bad math!!!) 25 tics instead (75%?), given the factors involved with the lube and the object quality.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6