Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any real reason to have a justice system?  (Read 1735 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any real reason to have a justice system?
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:13:07 am »

So it looks like if you set up a sheriff then your dwarves will start to get punished for crimes, but the only crimes there are are violating mandates or export bans. Which are quite stupid. The only other crime is murder, but I've never seen this happen, other than when there are vampires (and there are much better ways to deal with them than through justice).

So then, what's the real use in setting up a justice system if it's just going to make it WORSE for your fort?
Feeling down? Click Here!

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any real reason to have a justice system?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:20:15 am »

What use is a phone if you have no phone line?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:09 am »

Well, for starters, you'll be able to deal with vampires more simply...but, for now, justice is mostly a way for petty nobles to try and get control over your fort. I'd advise setting up a couple ropes near a food stockpile and a well to keep your mayor from punching dwarves who can't make earrings or whatever, especially if you have a woodcutter, miner, or militiadwarf who makes lots of friends and/or was selected as baron.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:02 am »

... So then, what's the real use in setting up a justice system if it's just going to make it WORSE for your fort?
Personally, I don't use it.  Just like I disable mandates and demands because I think nobles should be humble servants, not pompous asshats. :)  My dwarves are MUCH happier as a result.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:37:02 am »

The most useful part of the justice system is tantrum spiral prevention/exacerbation... kind of a fine line. If there are tons of jail cells available, tantrumers will be arrested and contained by your friendly squad of Fun Nazis guards, keeping things from escalating. If there aren't, they'll just get the schist beat out of them, along with every craftsdwarf who ever failed to make 16 kazoos for the vampire mayor 8 years ago, resulting in a spike in unhappiness.

I would recommend having the framework available to activate the justice system, but not actually have it operational at all times. So, keep a dwarf with an office that you know will become the captain of the guard, but leave him unappointed until things get gnarly.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:03 am »

Aside from tantrum spirals, the main reason I have a justice system set up is for narrative purposes. It might not be good for the success of the fort, but it is good for the story of the fort.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:12:13 am »

Well stated. I'm not sure if the OP would consider that a "real" reason, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:34:18 am »

That's a good idea to have it ready but not functioning until a tantrum spiral starts to threaten.
But don't dwarves get bad thoughts in prison? How does that solve the tantrum spiral if they get even more negative thoughts from being put to prison? Do they calm down and become happier when they come out?

ll stated. I'm not sure if the OP would consider that a "real" reason, though.
My successes with forts is about 1/25 due to various scenarios. I don't see a need to make the game even harder on myself until I become much more successful.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:18:23 pm »

But don't dwarves get bad thoughts in prison? How does that solve the tantrum spiral if they get even more negative thoughts from being put to prison? Do they calm down and become happier when they come out?
Dwarves get a bit of a bad thought from 'being confined', but they get a really good thought (+1000) when they get released. Chaining them up also stops them from kicking someone's puppy into the path of a speeding minecart. You can skip mandates and export bans entirely by finding a dwarf who has no item preferences and making them Baron/ess.

Making a really basic prison is pretty simple -- you have one large room with beds and a bunch of chains spaced to prevent dwarves reaching each other, one large room below it with a drink supply, and another large room above it with a food supply. If your fortresses often end up with the main food and drink stockpiles very close to each other you could just build the prison room right into the fortress design.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »

with some cair (gold cahins, a mw gold table and chair, a mw bed, good food and booze), the prison may be more luxurious than their normal quarters and they may actually get happier while being chained down.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:53:44 pm »

Personally, I don't use it.  Just like I disable mandates and demands because I think nobles should be humble servants, not pompous asshats. :)  My dwarves are MUCH happier as a result.
How do you disable mandates and demands?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »

why don't you disable invasions while at it?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:07:28 pm »

why don't you disable invasions while at it?

Some people do. People will play how they play, as long as it doesn't affect your gameplay, let it be. Personally I purposefully embark on evil aquifers with no military dwarves and with no gates. The beauty of the game is every world is your own, and you can shape it how you feel is the most fun for you.

Though I do completely agree with you. I embark on evil aquifers with no military dwarf just to see how hilariously I can lose. However, people sometimes rather avoid than deal with. I never have nobles punching anyone, even though I have nobles demand stuff all the time. A good enough room will negate any bad thoughts. Especially if coupled with good beer and awesome food. I also get a kickass military without using a danger room, but some people prefer that route too.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:20:56 pm »

point taken. It's just that with the new system the mandates are just so easy, I really don't get all the hate directed at the barons. If you have a baron mandating crafts or low boots, well, you can choose the baron, so it's your fault. While they don't do much good, I've never had barons do much harm.

Mayors, on the other hand, either I have to reset the mayor to one I like every year, causing too many historical events and some bad thoughts too I think, or the one demanding animal traps is going to have an accident.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:25:12 pm »

... How do you disable mandates and demands?

in \raw\objects\entity_default.txt

Change any similar entries to:
      [DEMAND_MAX:0]
      [MANDATE_MAX:0]

Voila, happy nobles!
Pages: [1] 2