Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disposing babies  (Read 1553 times)

KoboldSmasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disposing babies
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:49:09 am »

I have a problem, my dwarves breed like rabbits and i now have 37 nonworking bums known as babies and children. How can i dispose of them without causing 74 tantrums? Will using burrows and then sealing them off somewhere without food be enough? I now have modified the setting that limits the amount of babies but its a bit too late im afraid.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Disposing babies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:01:16 am »

1: mod the children to grow up earlier

2: atomsmashing them so they don't leave identifyable remains won't create a bad thought as long as noone sees it ("she might still be alive, walking around in the wilderness, surviving, after 10 years, right mother? Just because she disappeared doesn't mean we have to give up hope.")
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

KoboldSmasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:08:52 am »

Does having your child murdered by a vampire bring bad thoughts? If yes then ill atomsmash them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:15:44 am »

probably yes. It's also very hard to steer what a vampire will feed on next
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:17:01 am »

Do dwarven children and babies respect burrows? Or is there any other way to have them move to a certain bloody spot under a certain bloody bridge in your fort?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:28:23 am »

well, babies don't move, so they don't really care about burrows.

as for children, make a burrow that is encompassing most of your fort (small exception soon explained). Then make a burrow for the children. The room should be the atom smasher and somewhere a wall that has been built. When the wall is built and the burrows set, order the walls to be removed. The adults are confined to their own burrows, so only children go for it. There are not many other jobs children take. Deconstruction is a pretty good bet. While the children do that, close the door, then set a meeting area on the soon-to-be bridge. The children disassemble the wall, can't find a way out and default to idling in the meeting area you just made.

Smash

repeat as needed

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:43:56 am »

I have my maximum child cap limited to 10, and they also grow to adults in two years.

The init files are a brilliant thing.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:32:13 am »

Or disable hauling for your useful dwarves. Children haul (and harvest plants), you know.

I think DT allows you to set labors on kids.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 12:59:10 pm »

probably yes. It's also very hard to steer what a vampire will feed on next

Not that hard.  Just make a bunch of beds, assign them to children, and burrow the vampire there.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »

Vamps don't respect burrows for feeding and how they choose is currently unknown.  Locking your vamp in with the kids, however, would work since they respect locked doors.  So long as there are enough kids chances are the vamp won't go running out of the pris...boarding school to feed when you unlock it to add more kids.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:32:59 pm »

What's everyones' problem with babies, anyways?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »

I have my maximum child cap limited to 10, and they also grow to adults in two years.

The init files are a brilliant thing.
I have my child cap limited to 1, and have ~22 children thanks to migrants.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 01:50:44 pm »

Vamps don't respect burrows for feeding and how they choose is currently unknown.  Locking your vamp in with the kids, however, would work since they respect locked doors.  So long as there are enough kids chances are the vamp won't go running out of the pris...boarding school to feed when you unlock it to add more kids.

They may not respect burrows for feeding, but they do respect them for everything else, and they feed on the closest sleeping dwarf.  loads of sleeping children around means that they don't need to leave the burrow to find a snack.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 02:58:38 pm »

What's everyones' problem with babies, anyways?

They think babies kill FPS and are just a pain, rather than an integral part of a complex simulation. They don't know how the game works and think kids make it too hard. People think they need a bazillion dwarves working hard at whatever, not a bunch of loafers. They are the same people who come to the forums asking what can be done with 40 idlers.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 03:49:52 pm »

A few babies is fine. It's not fine when your first two hardcoded immigrant waves bring you 2 dwarfs total (1 in each) and 7 babies/children. Especially when you're trying to embark on a particularly challenging location and food/booze production isn't really in full swing yet.
Feeling down? Click Here!
Pages: [1] 2