Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: losing my fortress to a tantrum spiral... any ideas  (Read 2968 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
losing my fortress to a tantrum spiral... any ideas
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:03 am »

I had a waterfall and a statue garden in high traffic areas.

No one was crying about naked thoughts (I believe I had clothes).

A siege left maybe 5 dead out of 120.  Since more than half my population is red and I've had 3 to 4 go berserk.  I have coffins ready to be filled.

I know I didn't have smoothed engraved bedrooms, but pretty much everyone had a bedroom, is that where I failed?  I have food and booze (and the dining hall is smoothed and engraved).

I think I'm going to lose this fort unless I let them die.  I thought of sectioning off the red ones into a militia squad and sending them to the caverns, keeping my good ones topside.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: losing my fortress to a tantrum spiral... any ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:58:04 am »

It's not a spiral untill the deaths of the berserkers cause others to go berserk or die to cause others to follow them. The berserkers might get taken care off without too much fuzz, the unhappy ones will recover and everything will be fine and sunshine and rainbows ang slaughtered goblins

good luck
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:02:12 am »

More furniture (of good quality/value) also seems to help.  There's a chance that a dwarf will admire a piece of furniture that she walks over, or next to.  This includes things like levers (which shows up as a "trap" in the happy thoughts) and restraints, as well as what we humans think of as furniture.  Bonus if the item of admiration is in a sculpture garden ("tastefully arranged").

Apart from that, look at the unhappy dwarves and see what made them unhappy... then see if you can avoid that happening again.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:12 am »

so you guys are saying it's just gonna wear down?

Well, the problem is, when I think it's going to wear down, someone goes berserk, I put them down.  People get more sad...

The reason dwarfs are sad is because dwarfs are dying.

I need ideas like "burrow" them to the waterfalls... (which I tried... didn't seem to have an affect over the course of about 3 minutes.)

Or lock them in their rooms somehow...

Cuz I don't think it's going to go away on it's own.

Maybe I should just draft them all, put them into some combat in the caverns, and watch as they become used to the sight of death...

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:29 am »

does a hammerer have anything to do with stopping tantrum spirals?  And a room for justice?  Or is that more captain of the guard?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:47:16 am »

What are they saying they are unhappy about?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:50 pm »

Friends that have died, just said that a post ago

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »

does a hammerer have anything to do with stopping tantrum spirals?  And a room for justice?  Or is that more captain of the guard?

No. They just punish the murderers/vandals.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:42 pm »

I don't think, in the time I've been touring this forum, I've seen any advice regarding tantrum spirals except for "sit tight and hold on" and "make sure they don't happen"

oh, and this one:

The most useful part of the justice system is tantrum spiral prevention/exacerbation... kind of a fine line. If there are tons of jail cells available, tantrumers will be arrested and contained by your friendly squad of Fun Nazis guards, keeping things from escalating
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:19:09 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »

It's possible you could look at the relationship graph for some clique you could break off into a sub-fort (which is effectively what happens when migrants come during a spiral) but that's a lot of work.

Hmm.  New idea: create 7 clans, one for each starting dwarf.  Send each migrant wave to each clan.  Only one clan is allowed in the "public" space at a time so that if tantrum happens it should only kill off one clan.  Re-seed dead clans with the next migrant wave.

If you have the 7 clan forts intertwine but never intersect this could yield quite the interesting looking fort.  Trading between the clans would be awesome.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:10:20 pm »

I got the answer I was looking for.  A lacking justice system, which I was trying to implement.  I guess I'm going to need 50 cages

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:42:05 pm »

Hmm.  New idea: create 7 clans, one for each starting dwarf.  Send each migrant wave to each clan.  Only one clan is allowed in the "public" space at a time so that if tantrum happens it should only kill off one clan.  Re-seed dead clans with the next migrant wave.
Best to do it by dwarf rather than by migrant wave -- related dwarves don't always come in the same wave.

I got the answer I was looking for.  A lacking justice system, which I was trying to implement.  I guess I'm going to need 50 cages
Cages are bad. Dwarves are terrible at feeding prisoners, whether caged or chained, and unlike chains cages don't allow the dwarf to get its own food and drink.

Quick edit: Dwarves used to be terrible at feeding prisoners, anyway. Maybe they've improved in .34, maybe not.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

okay, restraints...

but will my captain of the guard restrain these dwarf's if they are only throwing tantrums?  Or must they actually harm someone?

On a side note, it may be too late to save this fortress... unless I just let them die down, and start with a new population number... hmm... the poor choices I get to make.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:31:01 pm by thistleknot »

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 03:34:44 pm »

It's possible you could look at the relationship graph for some clique you could break off into a sub-fort (which is effectively what happens when migrants come during a spiral) but that's a lot of work.

Hmm.  New idea: create 7 clans,.... Send each migrant wave to each clan...... it should only kill off one clan.
If you have the 7 clan forts....

You were successful in making me type clan in the DF wiki. I found nothing but mentions of clownfish http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=clan&go=Go

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 03:35:27 pm »

Don't give up!

The tantrumers need to vandalize or assault someone to be imprisoned. Or violate a mandate.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3