Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: More intimate relationship to my dwarfs  (Read 9008 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More intimate relationship to my dwarfs
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:36 pm »

The 1 dwarf i got connected to the most was this one dwarvern child that got a mood. I renamed him "epickid". My fort was destroyed by... myself quickly after and i made a new fort. After awile i got a few migrant waves. I noticed that i had a legendary migrant. I looked again and it was epickid! He was all grown up! Yayz!

Or the legendary warrior who broke his spine, was told he could never walk again.... but god damn he took out a ton of gobbos without walkin...

Or the guy that embeded a iron trumpet into a named dragons face......

You see, you cant just get connected to random dorfs the way your trying to, to get into every single dorfs, when in reality its just few that you have "magickal" things happen with. You just have to go on with your fort, but you have to keep a wide eye for something cool that happens... Im not sure how to explain it... Im also not sure why you havint had any "magickal" momments with any dorfs yet. Its probobly because you see your dwarfs as a whole thing, or all the same thing, and dont pay enough to see regular dorfs that do badass things here and there. And when they do, give them a name, make them a room, follow them around here and there. Thats my advice.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:57:08 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 10:47:33 pm »

I think the key, and the overwhelming train of thought through this whole thread, is that you can't really "make" interesting dwarves to pay attention to.  You have to pay attention to everything to some extent, and when someone gets "interesting" then you are able to make a closer connection to that dwarf.  But by that same measure, you might have a fort where everyone is completely expendable cogs.  Or, you might have a fort with a number of interesting characters, with whom you might build a relationship of sorts.  I've had plenty of unmemorable forts.  And then you have your occasional legends.  Beats me who was in the last two or three forts I've had.  But by Armok's beard if I don't remember Reg Liruklor or Atir Stigildegel or Zulban Rulbomrek... 

In the end it is about what you do with your fort, too.  If you make a big fort full of menial labor and rely on traps for your defense, you're not likely to come up with anyone much worth paying attention to.  If you have a bunch of misfit starting seven, with few useful labors, because that's more interesting, then you're very much more likely to pay attention to individual dwarves, especially those starting seven, because if they succeed, despite their uselessness, it's just that much more exceptional.

Try embarking with seven fisherdwarves.  Or neglect to give them any skills whatsoever.  Pick their skills based on their personality after you embark.  Think of your fortress as a story.  Imagine who the main characters are.  Tell their story to yourself in your head.  (I paraphrase) "The beauty of this game is based in the stories that the players themselves create."  The dwarves are just there to offer their inspiration.  It's up to you to offer the creation.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:43 pm »

And on that note,
I might have to look into why that engraver put that image of my mayor terrified in the mayors room.

I think I figured out why that guy was so mean to Cerol Helmspell. She has he Vampire kings old room, which I continually improve for my Mayor/President. It Has a few artifacts, including a cool-as-hell bloodthorn weapon rack, that menaces with spikes of glass and FB bone and has images of the rise and fall of the King, as well as telling the story of a dwarven siege of elves.
 He has nothing, and he has appearantly been here a while. It became obvious when I noticed him admiring the weapon rack, right next to the offending image.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 12:47:49 pm »

The dwarves I find really memorable however are those that survive fort mass suicide.
For example, embarking on a frozen sea that thawed instantly. 2 dwarves survived, and they got a lot of attention.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 01:43:33 pm »

And on that note,
I might have to look into why that engraver put that image of my mayor terrified in the mayors room.

I think I figured out why that guy was so mean to Cerol Helmspell. She has he Vampire kings old room, which I continually improve for my Mayor/President. It Has a few artifacts, including a cool-as-hell bloodthorn weapon rack, that menaces with spikes of glass and FB bone and has images of the rise and fall of the King, as well as telling the story of a dwarven siege of elves.
 He has nothing, and he has appearantly been here a while. It became obvious when I noticed him admiring the weapon rack, right next to the offending image.
The real reason is because your engraver is friends with the mayor, dwarves like to make crafts with their friends doing something related to their preferences. Drawing them surrounded by vermin is sort of a tribute to them. Still the explanation's that seem to be true are much more fun.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »

And on that note,

The real reason is because your engraver is friends with the mayor, dwarves like to make crafts with their friends doing something related to their preferences. Drawing them surrounded by vermin is sort of a tribute to them. Still the explanation's that seem to be true are much more fun.
Nah, he barely knows her.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 03:58:21 pm »

Nah, he barely knows her.
It may just be because she's a noble then.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 04:20:22 pm »

I tend to name the important members of my fort.

1. Staring seven.
2. Succesful Moods.
3. Militia Captains. (I don't usually expand my militia past 3-4 squads)
4. Legendaries.
5. Outstanding citizens.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 08:28:20 pm »

I tend to name the important members of my fort.

1. Staring seven.
2. Succesful Moods.
3. Militia Captains. (I don't usually expand my militia past 3-4 squads)
4. Legendaries.
5. Outstanding citizens.
"Outstanding Citizens"? Like Donate-a-sock drive?
Pages: 1 2 [3]