Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Steel substitute  (Read 13510 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Steel substitute
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 05:06:25 pm »

The idea is to use the giant army of low- or un-skilled marksdwarves to buy you time and some material to scavenge, not to rely on them forever.  Those first few melee waves come with metal, loot it.  Wear the stuff you think is usable, melt the stuff you don't.
That's pretty much my solution as well, only I tend to also use that period to train up my armourers in anticipation of universal conscription. A no-quality copper breastplate and helmet are enough to get by with if the marksdwarves are behind fortifications.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »

So heavier is better for warhammers. I have an excess of platinum, is it possible to make weapons out of that, cause that's one hell of a heavy metal
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »

So heavier is better for warhammers. I have an excess of platinum, is it possible to make weapons out of that, cause that's one hell of a heavy metal
Only via a mood. Without modding anyway...

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:18 pm »

Only via a mood. Without modding anyway...
A shame a mood can craft a warhammer out of a platinium boulder instead of the bar.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »

Based on 0.34.11 raw values:

Edged attack/defense (shear yield):
copper<silver<iron<bronze<steel

Blunt attack (density):
iron or steel<bronze<copper<silver

Blunt defense (impact yield):
copper<silver<iron<bronze<steel

I was surprised a bit by how silver seemed to be a better edged weapon metal than copper, so I tested it. I created a silver colossus and a copper colossus in the arena, and then tried having a dwarf grand master attack them with copper and silver swords. The silver sword can dent the copper colossus, but the copper sword is deflected off the silver colossus.

Bronze is slightly stronger than iron. The differences might be lost to randomness during testing.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 09:15:08 pm »

What about bolts?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »

What about bolts?

Bolts/arrows are edged. They tend to have absurd penetration, so you might as well use the cheaper metals that you have on hand. Weight doesn't matter for bolts/arrows.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 06:20:25 pm »

What about bolts?

Bolts/arrows are edged. They tend to have absurd penetration, so you might as well use the cheaper metals that you have on hand. Weight doesn't matter for bolts/arrows.
Weight matters if something stops the bolt, because at that point it becomes blunt damage.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 07:54:07 pm »

Ok best substitute for Steel?
Candy.

If you don't want to use candy then it's either bronze or iron.

Shield material does NOT matter when blocking.
A wooden shield will be as good at blocking as a Steel one.
HOWEVER.
Sometimes dwarves with shields will attempt to shield bash the enemy and then the weight of the shield matters a lot so making shields out of heavier materials is not totally foolish since a artifact platinium shield can cave chests in.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 08:03:35 pm »

I've never once successfully embarked anywhere that has an ore of copper and an ore of tin on the same site...
I have.   Once.

My current embark has loads of tetrahedrite+cassiterite, can't remember noticing any other ores (sparse metals). Previous had masses and masses of magnetite, but no flux (frequent metals). My next fort will be at a volcano site with only deep metals, don't even know what yet (sparse metals again; I've genned a world and picked the site, not unpaused yet). Bought loads of ores for bronze, thankfully.

As to the OP's problem, if you have lots of iron, you're pretty safe using that. Import all the scrap you can, remember to request pig iron and all fluxes. And if you don't mind using exploits, there's several items which give more metal when melted than they take to craft.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 05:04:48 am »

Weight matters if something stops the bolt, because at that point it becomes blunt damage.
That's true up to a point, but bolts have very little actual mass, and a crossbow has an upper limit on how hard it can launch them that's far below the threshold to cause appreciable blunt-force trauma. In fact, I'm not sure if impact speed matters at all; experimenting with BLUNT damage for musket ammunition in BPFA produced some really odd results, and I got the impression that the precise damage-calculation mechanism is a bit more complicated than simply re-rolling an edged attack that fails the armour check as a blunt one.

At any rate, barring a lucky hit to the head, I wouldn't expect much from silver bolts compared to iron or even copper.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 05:59:38 am »

I use silver bolts anyway... I have a legendary weapon smith with nothing else to do, so instead of letting his skills go to waste, he can pour out the bolts until more weapons are needed. I can also buy out caravans fairly easily with the masterwork bolts, and use the slightly lower quality ones for combat. Seriously, at 3000 for 25 masterwork bolts, I don't need much more.

In regards to my original problem, I'm training up my armour smith on iron, to use with the lower level troops, then once he gets to a good level start producing steel armour, using only the highest quality armour for the dwarves (they've all got great weapons, since my weapon smith has been hard at work)

I did find a source of flux, so of course that problem is solved

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 04:06:33 pm »

So if i'm avoiding steel for maces etc (presumably because steel is good for cutting, not bashing), what metal is better for it? Just the bronze or iron?
Silver or copper. Same with shields.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 04:25:01 pm »

Personally, I only use steel for axes, armor and swords; All the other stuff is made of bronze or copper.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »

Personally, I only use steel for axes, armor and swords; All the other stuff is made of bronze or copper.
Steel spears.  You forgot spears.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5