Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Steel substitute  (Read 13505 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Steel substitute
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:52:39 am »

I thought it was bismuth bronze that was on a par with iron, not ordinary bronze?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:03:01 am »

I thought it was bismuth bronze that was on a par with iron, not ordinary bronze?
Bronze and bismuth bronze are equal in terms of combat effectiveness, bismuth bronze allows you to stretch your cassiterite supply and boost the value of goods for export.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:51:48 am »

So if you have a legendary weaponsmith, you should make hammers/maces out of valuable metal to ensure that the dwarves are using weapons made by the legendary weaponsmith.
And if you don't, you can specify material in the uniform screen. If you have more than one item whose material you'd like to specify, do it after setting the items. It's a little annoying setting the material at the same time as setting the item.

It'd be nice to have a 'foreign goods permitted / not permitted' setting for uniforms.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 12:16:46 pm »

Regarding bashing: Ive read that a copper Morningstar is better than a silver one because copper is a better weapon material than silver and is heavy (though not as heavy as silver).
At least this proves true in Adventure mode.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 12:27:20 pm »

true copper Mmrningstars are better than sliver
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »

true copper Mmrningstars are better than sliver
:'D I love typos. 

Silver makes superior war hammers, I am unsure of the best vanilla mace material however.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:26 pm »

Regarding bashing: Ive read that a copper Morningstar is better than a silver one because copper is a better weapon material than silver and is heavy (though not as heavy as silver).
At least this proves true in Adventure mode.
Morningstars are edged weapons. So yes, sharper is better.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »

Steel substitute
Surprised nobody's suggested this yet but..
Magma?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 01:11:24 pm »

Quantity has a quality of its own.  Until you can get a more skilled, well-equipped military going, a giant gang of marksdwarves with wooden crossbows, leather armor and boots, and bone bolts, helmets, gauntlets and greaves can do a lot for your defense.
This strategy works great for the initial few waves, before the goblins figure out how to shoot back.

Wait, What? Your Goblin Invaders show up with Melee Weapons?

Though my luck aside, I don't think it really matters when Goblins show up - Bowman or Crossbowman can show up at anytime.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 01:36:07 pm »

Though my luck aside, I don't think it really matters when Goblins show up - Bowman or Crossbowman can show up at anytime.
Mos def.  But they're in more manageable numbers in your first few ambushes.  Seems like I don't get any all-elite bowmen sieges until later in my forts' progressions.  Could just be my luck though too.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 01:55:45 pm »

I've never once successfully embarked anywhere that has an ore of copper and an ore of tin on the same site, so I recommend sticking with iron unless you've been exceedingly lucky. Copper's good for maces and/or hammers and fair to middling for ammunition, however; some people swear by it for shields, but I prefer to save my metal, fuel and dwarfpower resources for weapons and armour.

And weenog's advice is pretty sound, though I personally wouldn't use bone for armour or crossbows; it's better used for practice ammunition and/or carving into stuff to trade.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

I've never once successfully embarked anywhere that has an ore of copper and an ore of tin on the same site...
I have.   Once.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 02:09:21 pm »

I've never once successfully embarked anywhere that has an ore of copper and an ore of tin on the same site...
I have.   Once.

My current embark has cassiterite, bismuthinite, galena, tetrahedrite, magnetite, marble, native gold, sphalerite, and garnierite.

I've never had so many possibilities in the smelter before!  Still just massively cranking out steel steel steel and, occasionally, some gold and silver or copper.

edit: oh, and it's in the middle of a really dense forest!  ;D

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 02:45:15 pm »

The idea is to use the giant army of low- or un-skilled marksdwarves to buy you time and some material to scavenge, not to rely on them forever.  Those first few melee waves come with metal, loot it.  Wear the stuff you think is usable, melt the stuff you don't.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:32 pm »

Remember that a shield's material doesn't matter too much so wood works well for that.  Crossbows are largely the same; their material only matters when you bash something with it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5