Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Steel substitute  (Read 13514 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steel substitute
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:03:33 am »

What material is best for me to use for my military's armour and weapons, short of steel or adamantine. Since I have no flux stones, all I have is the imports. That means that I cannot outfit more than one or two of my military in steel. I am ordering in steel crafts, and steel cages, and everything from steel I can as well as flux, but that will be costly. Do I stick with iron, or use another material
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steel substitute
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:03 am »

Bronze armor, iron weapons/silver hammers.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:10:29 am »

Bronze is better than iron? Crap... now to rework my metal industry
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:12:15 am »

No, but it will deflect iron weapons most of the time.

Bronze Collasi seem to be immune to any weapons steel and lower.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:19:08 am »

Well, if I don't have the right stuff for bronze yet, do I stick with iron for the moment? I guess I can afford at least steel weapons for them all

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:15 am »

If you're running on imports, you should be able to import every single weapons grade metal and ore.

I'd personally go for copper, malachite and tetrahedrite just for the sheer mass production value.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 12:51:27 am »

Nothing wrong with Iron - in regards to invasion it will protect your Dwarves fairly well. Bronze is pretty well on par with Iron if you have access to it, but since you have Iron you don't have to worry about it.

In Regards to Steel Weapons - Get Battle Axes first, then Short Swords, and don't bother with the Maces, Warhammers, or Shields. If you have a lot of it left over, maybe make Spears as well, but I think Helmets or some other Armor might be better since Spears tend to penetrate higher tier armors easier with lower quality materials decently.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:00:17 am »

So if i'm avoiding steel for maces etc (presumably because steel is good for cutting, not bashing), what metal is better for it? Just the bronze or iron?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:05:52 am »

Quantity has a quality of its own.  Until you can get a more skilled, well-equipped military going, a giant gang of marksdwarves with wooden crossbows, leather armor and boots, and bone bolts, helmets, gauntlets and greaves can do a lot for your defense.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:08:54 am »

So if i'm avoiding steel for maces etc (presumably because steel is good for cutting, not bashing), what metal is better for it? Just the bronze or iron?
Steel is great for bashing weapons! Just that most people prioritize them for cutting edges...

As for bronze vs iron, especially in blunt weapons, no one still really knows for sure. I'd go for bronze, just because it's 50% cheaper than iron.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:42:27 am »

I thought silver was the best for blunt due to having the highest density and that being the most important factor in blunt damage.
If you have silver, use that for blunt as priority.

but as the last guy said
Steel is great for bashing weapons! Just that most people prioritize them for cutting edges...
all metal have very high density in comparison to any other material, with the exception of adamantine which is really light.
so if u can mass produce a metal, any metal, then go with that one for ur fortress outfit.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 02:18:02 am »

Well, I'll stick with iron then... That way I'll always have iron bars when it comes to making some steel

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:59:36 am »

In general all Metals make good bashing weapons while silver makes the best most damage (highest density), steel has a higher critical hit probability (thats what the science said).

Steel makes the best edge weapons (significantly better than iron) - short of adamantium of course - followed by iron and bronze. Silver is supposed do be worst for edge weapons, but sells for a good price (silver spiked balls, silver battle axes).

for armor  - the material of the shields supposedly have no effect on the defense capabilities. So only relevant for the shields material is the shield bash attack where dense is better, which i usually disregard and use copper (wood burns...).

As for other things I would use iron - has the best over all capabilities in all directions...

As important as a good armor for defense, is the skill of your dwarves...

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 06:28:26 am »

Sometimes it's worthwhile producing steel hammers/maces. Dwarves pick up a weapon based on value. They will prefer a low quality steel mace, or a highly decorated copper mace from traders, to a high quality copper mace, but the high quality mace would be better in combat. So if you have a legendary weaponsmith, you should make hammers/maces out of valuable metal to ensure that the dwarves are using weapons made by the legendary weaponsmith. There are other ways to deal with this problem, but just being consistent in weapon material works well. Steel has a base value of 30, iron and silver have the same base value of 10, bismuth bronze is 6, bronze is 5, copper is 2.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:38:08 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:38 am »

Quantity has a quality of its own.  Until you can get a more skilled, well-equipped military going, a giant gang of marksdwarves with wooden crossbows, leather armor and boots, and bone bolts, helmets, gauntlets and greaves can do a lot for your defense.
This strategy works great for the initial few waves, before the goblins figure out how to shoot back. 
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5