Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Beekeeping worth it?  (Read 2878 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Beekeeping worth it?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 12:18:53 pm »

To more reliably handle booze variety, if you're not in a mountain or glacier biome, designate a large area of your surface for gathering plants.  What you turn up can grow there.  Brew it to get the seeds, make some above-ground farm plots, and plant the seeds in those plots.  You will almost certainly get an error message about lack of mud or no seeds available when you try to build the lighted plot.  Ignore it, build it and plant it anyway.

You can also try trading with the elves and the humans to score above-ground seeds or plants.  I am a huge fan of rope reeds, because like pig tails they can be used for booze or thread, and unlike pig tails they aren't seasonal, they'll grow year-round.  Wild strawberries are also a good bet, because like plump helmets they can be cooked, brewed, or eaten raw, so they serve as a buffer between you and starvation if things go incredibly badly.
I am a huge fan of whip vines because, high value.  ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 01:04:20 pm »

Logically you would think 4 fisherman could deplete the area for a while or so but eventually new organisms would swim down the waterway and inhabit the depleted zone as there would be less competition for food from other fish/turtles.
Toady hasn't gotten around to simulating that yet. Once he does, you can bet that it'll be part of an ecosystem arc in which depleting the river too much will wreck the local ecosystem to the point where nothing will move back in for a while.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 03:52:28 pm »

Indeed. Many civilizations have collapsed by overfishing. (Mostly island ones, but still.)

I can't wait until ecology gets added. I want my moronic ecological desicions to lead to a fortress that must import food from the elves and smaller, newer fortresses in exchange for luxury goods and the prestige my fortress has (i.e. tributes from nearby lands).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »

Indeed. Many civilizations have collapsed by overfishing. (Mostly island ones, but still.)

I can't wait until ecology gets added. I want my moronic ecological desicions to lead to a fortress that must import food from the elves and smaller, newer fortresses in exchange for luxury goods and the prestige my fortress has (i.e. tributes from nearby lands).

Don't tell me that reliance on livestock like cows, pigs, and chickens results in some sort of ceiling for offpsring generation?

"your cows have too many recessive genes and as a result all progeny are sterile"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 04:21:49 pm »

Don't tell me that reliance on livestock like cows, pigs, and chickens results in some sort of ceiling for offpsring generation?

"your cows have too many recessive genes and as a result all progeny are sterile"

more like "there are not enough grass tiles left to feed your starving livestock"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »

It only takes one dwarf to handle beekeeping, so unless you are really pressed for labor, why not?

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 04:46:20 pm »

It only takes one dwarf to handle beekeeping, so unless you are really pressed for labor, why not?

I don't wanna agonize over something that is likely to break. I have to provide space , hives, stockpiles and atleast 2 mugs.

more like "there are not enough grass tiles left to feed your starving livestock"

So then  i guess dogs, cats, and fowl are the only sustainable methods of generating food? oh and farming.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:48:45 pm by Rafe »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 08:03:16 pm »

Grass regrows, so it's possible to have very large plots of forage for your animals, but there is a maximum limit to it, I suppose. Of course, there's a max FPS hit that dogs, cats, and fowl will eventually hit too, I suppose.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:58 am »

And in theory you could flood dug out layers of stone to create more moss for grazers. Lets hope processing power and DF programming will help eachother to make fps a bit smoother
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]