Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beekeeping worth it?  (Read 2875 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beekeeping worth it?
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »

I have a new set of migrants and one of them is a beekeeper. Should i explore beekeeping or is it either non-rewarding or to young a feature and doesn't work right to be explored now(i notice there's a bug that makes having additional beekeepers result in problems) or both?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beekeeping worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:45:38 pm »

It's an amusing novelty, and it can help a little with alleviating "tired of drinking the same old booze" thoughts, but no.  It's not worth the dwarves, time and resources invested, and certainly not something you can live on.  Save it for when you've got surplus everything, dwarves included.

If the bugs with it ever get fixed I'm probably going to try to make a fortress live on it alone again, though.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:18 pm »

It's an amusing novelty, and it can help a little with alleviating "tired of drinking the same old booze" thoughts, but no.  It's not worth the dwarves, time and resources invested, and certainly not something you can live on.  Save it for when you've got surplus everything, dwarves included.

If the bugs with it ever get fixed I'm probably going to try to make a fortress live on it alone again, though.
What but are you talking about?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:12:51 pm »

Dwarves have trouble keeping track of the status of wild hives.  They will go to the obsolete site of a wild hive that was destroyed to fill a constructed hive, and stand around scratching their ass looking for bees until they get killed by a wild animal or invader.  They will fail to notice new wild hives that form.  Sometimes you can fix this behaviour by deconstructing all artificial hives that may be asking for bees and then rebuilding them, but other times even that doesn't help.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:10:04 pm »

Dwarves have trouble keeping track of the status of wild hives.  They will go to the obsolete site of a wild hive that was destroyed to fill a constructed hive, and stand around scratching their ass looking for bees until they get killed by a wild animal or invader.  They will fail to notice new wild hives that form.  Sometimes you can fix this behaviour by deconstructing all artificial hives that may be asking for bees and then rebuilding them, but other times even that doesn't help.

I usually just give a dorf the beepkeeper labor and let him do his thing. I had no idea it was buggy.

Does it work without issues if you fill one hive, then seal it (and the beekeeper) off from the outside world, using the first hive to split and spread into the other ones?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:23:12 pm »

In my experience no, that doesn't work.  Sooner or later the beekeeper will get it into his head that he needs to collect from a wild hive which isn't there anymore, even if there are multiple artificial hives waiting to be split.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 12:41:02 am »

In my experience no, that doesn't work.  Sooner or later the beekeeper will get it into his head that he needs to collect from a wild hive which isn't there anymore, even if there are multiple artificial hives waiting to be split.

Thanks weenog, i'm trying to learn this game and it has tremendous depth and if i try to invest time in some of these unfinished features it would drive me crazy because i love to micromanage. Focusing on things that dont' work right without the knowledge i should be avoiding them for now would likely cause me to lose interest in the game.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:13:41 am »

To more reliably handle booze variety, if you're not in a mountain or glacier biome, designate a large area of your surface for gathering plants.  What you turn up can grow there.  Brew it to get the seeds, make some above-ground farm plots, and plant the seeds in those plots.  You will almost certainly get an error message about lack of mud or no seeds available when you try to build the lighted plot.  Ignore it, build it and plant it anyway.

You can also try trading with the elves and the humans to score above-ground seeds or plants.  I am a huge fan of rope reeds, because like pig tails they can be used for booze or thread, and unlike pig tails they aren't seasonal, they'll grow year-round.  Wild strawberries are also a good bet, because like plump helmets they can be cooked, brewed, or eaten raw, so they serve as a buffer between you and starvation if things go incredibly badly.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:18:36 am by weenog »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:30:42 am »

you're going to need pig tails to adress clothing issues anyway, so you might as well start early. You can occasionally set plump helmets or pig tails not to be brewed and you'll have some variety. Soon as you start cooking, cave wheat and sweet pods can be added for their good value cooking additions but also for different booze types. Again, once you get too much of one type of drink, disable brewing that plant in (z), kitchen menu
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:35:44 am »

Starvation i dont' think could possibly be a problem. I have 4 fisher drawves and i keep having to expand my barrel full stockpiles. Each barrel filled with fish.

+ i have a chicken farm, and a barrel filled with eggs. I can't seem to verify if my Dorfs are cooking or eating the eggs even though i gave a cook order from teh kitchen menu via the Z menu(i havn't really played around with that). I want to insure my chickens are going to reproduce so i've forbidden any egg collection from the nest boxes, so far no chicks though i was warned about long durations here. If i get some chicken progeny i will consider slaughtering some hens.

I also have a plump helmet farm.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:44:13 am »

Starvation i dont' think could possibly be a problem. I have 4 fisher drawves and i keep having to expand my barrel full stockpiles. Each barrel filled with fish.

Don't rely on this.  Fish do not replenish themselves, sooner or later you will run out completely, forever.  This can make life rather difficult if a strange mood is demanding shell, you don't have any, and pond turtles no longer exist.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 03:04:10 am »

if your kitchen is cooking you should be getting prepared meals; biscuits, roasts or stews. You need to check if plants are disabled for cooking though, unless you have like 200, since it's easy to run out of seeds this way.

Most likely your cook is grabbing 1 fish, or tallow, at a time and making small meal stacks, which will be moved back to a food stockpile and put in a barrel. This can really eat barrels since each barrel can contain, at most, a total stack size of 10 (afaik, might be changed).

Once you start cooking, you need to make a seperate stockpile that accepts only meals and doesn't use any barrels. This is also for when you start selling meals, since when they are in barrels you can't select the seperate stacks anymore but can only sell the entire barrel.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:12:17 am »

My major problem with beekeeping is the royal jelly that gets produced. It comes in a stack of one, has minimum value, needs to be be cooked in order to become edible, and is a liquid ingredient.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 12:11:37 pm »

Don't rely on this.  Fish do not replenish themselves, sooner or later you will run out completely, forever.  This can make life rather difficult if a strange mood is demanding shell, you don't have any, and pond turtles no longer exist.

Even if i'm fishing from a body of water that is being fed from off the map ? Logically you would think 4 fisherman could deplete the area for a while or so but eventually new organisms would swim down the waterway and inhabit the depleted zone as there would be less competition for food from other fish/turtles.

This took me totally by surprise :(

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 12:16:49 pm »

it's a bug, simple as that, even in an ocean, a single fisherdwarf will empty it, in fact, I think it will empty itself given time.
Pages: [1] 2