Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobles (crush them or not?)  (Read 571 times)

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobles (crush them or not?)
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:07:20 pm »

So I will be a barony soon and I want to know if there any benefit to having nobles or at the very least a barony? At some point I will be tempted to just atom smash them.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles (crush them or not?)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:12:11 pm »

If they demand simple things that you want to make, there is no problem. If they demand impossible things that you can't make or don't want to make, then they become "surplus to requirements".

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:35:30 pm »

It depends on the noble.  I've grown to appreciate the office of mayor lately.  Unhappy citizens can go to the mayor and yell at him or cry on him, possibly gaining a happy thought (how likely and how happy depending on his skill) at cost of giving him a small unhappy thought.  This ability can prove the difference between Quite Content dwarves and a developing tantrum spiral.  The mayor wanting an office to conduct meetings is actually a good thing, in my opinion.  It allows you to steer unhappy dwarves past other potential sources of happy thoughts.  If the path to the mayor's office is lined with awesome statues, and cages full of popular creatures, and the office itself has an amazing door and mist generator/waterfall, dwarves are likely to leave in a good mood even if the mayor's Pacifier or Consoler skill currently sucks.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:13:40 pm »

Most nobles continue to work, so they aren't actually a burden on the fortress. And their requirements are usually pretty easy to meet. It's got a lot easier over time.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:22:43 pm »

Preferences definitely count, though.  Mayor Blob was awesome.  Strapped with massive amounts of muscle and lard, a powerful consoler and pacifier, and all he needed to be happy was coffins.  Not like I ever export those anyway, but I'll certainly be building 'em.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:25:31 pm »

Preferences definitely count, though.  Mayor Blob was awesome.  Strapped with massive amounts of muscle and lard, a powerful consoler and pacifier, and all he needed to be happy was coffins.  Not like I ever export those anyway, but I'll certainly be building 'em.

My current mayor is a vampiress. She's locked away, obviously, but everyone seems to like her even though they've never met her. She also demands that I make shields practically nonstop.

Fortunately, her favorite metal is copper. It just so happened that I have half a dozen artifact copper armor pieces in my fort, one of which is a shield. I put her in the military, gave her the copper, then sent her into my permanent danger room in her palace at the bottom of the map.

I plan to keep her training until the inevitable death of my populace, at which point I'll release her and pull a Urist, slowly converting all migrants to my own private army of vampires.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:05:31 am »

To clarify when I say nobles, I mean barons and counts. I do agree that a mayor etc. is very useful.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 03:05:01 am »

So I will be a barony soon and I want to know if there any benefit to having nobles or at the very least a barony? At some point I will be tempted to just atom smash them.

They are not that bad, really. I suggest you go through the dwarves that you think are suited to be a baron and check their preferences. Demands nowadays are usually very easy to fulfill and it is difficult to export mandated goods accidentally (due to them not being shown on the 'bring item to depot' screen per default). Benefits? None that I really know of, other than having an excuse to make a stupidly posh palace in contrast to the usual commie everyone-gets-the-same-kinda-room design.
If you can bear having hundreds of useless children clogging up your meeting hall, one more fairly useless dwarf won't matter much.
(a>b) ? false : true