Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I found a vampire  (Read 1191 times)

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I found a vampire
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:11:30 pm »

So I have found a vampire in my fortress (he murdered someone in the middle of my crowded dinning room). I have made a room that he can be locked in and made a burrow but he refuses to go to the burrow. He is now standing motionless in the middle of my hospital.
What to do?!?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: I found a vampire
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:44:18 pm »

draft into military and give a station order just for him

contrary to what people seem to think, a burrow only means the dwarf will only take jobs in it. Idle is not a job, letting him walk to meeting halls and statue gardens.

Oh, and feeding also ignores burrows. You can interupt and prevent a feeding by aforementioned station order, but it won't work long.

Oh, and just to check, because paranoia sometimes runs out of hand, the person who was killed was drained of blood or killed some other way? Only if you get a message "urist was found dead drained of blood" (please correct me, I forgot the real message) you have a vampire.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:46:51 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:21 pm »

She has an inordinate number of family members; "really needs a drink" even though there is plenty; does not appear in dwarf therapist; and a body was found drained of blood.

And is now running around doing hauling jobs and ignoring the station.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:41:52 pm »

You could build a lever in the room, then use the workshop profile "q-P" on the lever to set it to just the dwarf you want.

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 08:32:31 pm »

So my game crashed and reloaded to a point when she was still standing in the middle of the hospital. I have built the lever and set it so that only she can pull it and she is still not moving. I'm beginning to wonder if it is not a bug or glitch.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »

If she isn't moving, you might be able to do some creative channeling and drop a big chunk of rock on her head.

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:13:37 am »

hmmm I don't want to, but can I just have my military kill her?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:22:17 am »

Pretty sure you can't directly target your own fortress members with your military.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:24:17 am »

So I think I have solved the problem in a very dwarfy way. The vampire is now walled into her own tiny prison right in the middle of my hospital and the walkway to the well.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:42 am »

the "really needs a drink" shouldn't appear in the latest version. Which version are you playing?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:31:42 am »

34.11, oh well maybe I was out of alcohol at the time or something.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:53:28 am »

but that would mean it's not a vampire. If I were you I'd keep an eye on that dwarf. If it gets thirsty or ungry you got the wrong one. After all, large family connections isn't the biggest clue, lot's of former memberships to other groups and civs would top that. There was a discussion a bit ago about the "really needs a drink", since it was a great way to find a vampire that had been around a while, which is why it was (possibly) removed. IIRC noone reported seeing it on confirmed vampires. In fact, if you were out of alcohol a while ago and everyone had to drink water, the onlyone not having a bad thought about it would be the vampire.

Charlylimph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 02:03:37 am »

I checked, she has a HUGE list of memberships. I was really funny to watch them building a wall around around her.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 02:13:50 am »

Oh well, now to find a way to make use of the vampire.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 02:15:32 am »

Complaining about going without a drink for too long is still in.  Witness the most egregious example of a vampire I have ever seen.  This is a world and fortress generated and entirely played in 0.34.11.

Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2