Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress Gate Defense- How?  (Read 10440 times)

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Gate Defense- How?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 06:15:55 pm »

The killzone was going to be modified as a super twisty room of doom, based on the forced detour plan on the wiki.

Unfortunately, that bronze colossus I mentioned earlier savaged my fort. That defense won't be completed anytime soon

EDIT: Retrying, this time with magma on the surface via volcano, and much better positioning.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:21:13 pm by Fallenworldful »
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:41:35 pm »

I like how almost everyone's fortress entrance looks like a penis before they notice it.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:42 pm »

Am I the only person who builds his fort in a flat area, with walls fully encircling it? 
I can't see anything wrong with your design, other then that the ballista operators might refuse to fire.  If you build a long twisty entrance, you can also try to use floodgates to channel them more effectively.  Build them every seven spaces, and when you pull the lever, it is possibly to divide up large armies into tiny little squads. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 05:25:55 am »

Nope, you're not.

Did that the first few times, but go ambitious.
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:16 am »

I have a very successful fort in .31, built on a flat spot, with excellent wall>moat defenses.

Pity I forgot entirely that it was on an island...

I tend not to do that now, due to the difficulty of getting walls up in time. Plus I have to deal with trying to get the Caravans in.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 07:59:50 am »

It's nice but you may be overthinking it. Ballistas are rarely worth the hassle as all siege operators are required by dwarven law to be gutless wussies. It's pretty easy to fill a large room with cage and weapon traps with a chained kitten as bait then station marksdwarves behind fortifications to soften up the siegers and send your melee soldiers in from an airlock. The airlock is important because it prevents your guys from grabbing drinks or changing up their equipment and slowly trickling in. You can throw some war animals into the mix as well but without armor they won't be taking down an entire siege by themselves. A fully armored squad of trained dwarves supported by marksdwarves and warbeasts is a terrifying sight. If everything goes according to plan I'd wager you'd only lose one or two (probably unskilled) soldiers.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 12:11:31 am »

Siege weapons are more or less useless unless you put serious work/thought into them, and even then its not worth the trouble.
Also, I always put a goblin grinder in a fort. No matter what's going on, how bad my day is, watching a goblin get mulched into his component parts never ceases to make me laugh.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 08:17:43 pm »

One minor innovation to add to your entrance hallway that I thought of recently:
Code: [Select]
Top Down:
####^|^####
####^|^####
####^|^####

Side View:
   |.#.|
####/|\####
to surface<--->to fortress
#=floor
^=ramp (top down)
/\=ramps (side view)
|=wall
.=open space

The basic idea is that while it preserves the same mobility and still allows wagons to enter, it now blocks line of sight to the killing pit without adding a detour. This way, gobbo archers in the pit can't shoot your civvies, and civvies running around inside won't cancel jobs due to invaders.
Pages: 1 [2]