Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to block a water fall?  (Read 1557 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to block a water fall?
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »

I dug into some caverns with an endless ocean on one level. I dug a channel from the ocean to an open cavern because there was a Forgotten Beast on the bottom, one of the nasty kind with clouds of insta-death roiling around it. I figured I'd flood the cavern and drown it. Fast forward almost 10 in game years and the cavern is barely full. I've only filled about 1.5 z-levels (the channel has a Fortification in it which I believe is slowing the flow).

Anyway, long story short, I dropped an entire cavern floor overtop the water flow and it didn't block it. I'm not really sure what else to do. I can't build anything, there's too much water in the channeled aqueduct and sending in buildings or miners will cause them to drown anyway.

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to block a water fall?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:29:57 pm »

hello
I dropped an entire cavern floor overtop the water flow and it didn't block it.
this should work usually, but if you drain an ocean you must consider the water pressure, if the flow isnt shut on every z lvl , water will still pour through.
if there is really NO way you could do this (lack of z lvls, etc) there's always DFhack, you could "drop/cheat" 1 tile of obsidian wall into your channel.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »

This won't help you, but rule #1 for working with magma or water is to keep a way to turn it off. Floodgates, drawbridges, the works.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »

A floor you say? That's not going to block anything. You need to block the channel with a wall. Were you trying to plug the hole by dropping a floor on it? Collapses don't stop on empty space! The floor would continue falling until it encountered solid ground (not another floor, either, but 1 whole tile of solid rock under it.) Dropping a floor or a wall onto the hole won't do anything, neither will dropping a floor anyplace else, so if a floor was involved, the outcome was certain to be failure.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 04:27:55 pm »

So build a floor of walls (solid chunk) and drop THAT onto the exposed channel? I can do that.... I can do that.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 04:30:12 pm »

I think you need to use a wall of natural solid rock; constructed walls will deconstruct on collapse.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 05:27:48 pm »

I think you need to use a wall of natural solid rock; constructed walls will deconstruct on collapse.

Yes. You need to use natural walls. Constructed walls turn back into their components when they collapse. OR you could dump some magma in there. OR you could create another channel leading to a carved fortification at the edge of the map. When you carve a fortification in the very edge of the map, liquid can flow through it and off the map. So, create another channel and then build a pump to pump water from the current channel to the new channel. Then send in a dwarf to floor over the hole.

FBs can all breathe underwater, and some can fly. That hole would look very inviting to them, as flying ones could path right through it.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »

magma, magma solves everything

in this case, pour some magma on the top of the water where you want to block the flow, it will create some nice obsidian.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:21:46 pm »

The easiest way is probably to build a floor over the channel and install a screw pump which pumps water "upstream" from the channel back into/towards the lake (box in the output tile of the screw pump, to force the water down and stop it spreading out). This will allow the channel to dry. This "pumping against the stream" trick wouldn't work in real life, but it does work with the wonky DF fluid dynamics.
The screw pump can be dwarf powered, you don't need a wheel or anything.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:59:08 am »

iirc, atom smashers also smash water. You can make a large chamber with a bridge covering it, dig out the wall in-between and destroy water as it flows in. This might slow down the flow enough so you can close it off somewhere else.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 05:58:03 am »

oops, missunderstood floor....
jeah you need to drop a solid natural wall down to block it, sry "floor" means "z-lvl" to me, not the walkable floor on a z-lvl^^
also, screenshots help to explain^^, img.ie or imgur are good hosts to do so.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 06:34:54 am »

iirc, atom smashers also smash water. You can make a large chamber with a bridge covering it, dig out the wall in-between and destroy water as it flows in. This might slow down the flow enough so you can close it off somewhere else.

It's possible but there's no point because the map edge is better. If you want do this though, then the first thing to know is that you need to use "bridge walls", only the tiles which actually turn into a raised bridge actually smash water. The bridge part going up and down just sloshes the water around. Important to know that. The other than is that doors open/shut instantly, while floodgates and bridges have a significant delay. A door linked up to a dwarf pulling a level will smash water at a blistering rate.
Atomsmashing water is really more applicable for things like selectively lowering the water level of a pool, or for use in fluid logic or water repeaters. For actually disposing of masses of water, the map edge or a cavern is a much better way to go, partly just because it's a pain trying to figure out how big the atomsmasher needs to be to destroy the water fast enough, while the map edge will accept water at an infinite rate.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.