Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Roll to Shonen: That is Not Dead Which can Eternal Lie  (Read 9250 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Roll to Shonen: That is Not Dead Which can Eternal Lie
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:54:26 pm »

Roll to Shonen

A Caellath collaboration

A Short Introduction:
I designed the system for this game to be story based, with bonuses given and most levels gained with story events. For example, if something killed your best friend, you could unlock another form powered by anger. Skills can be gained by interacting with each other and the environment, since I wanted it to be as fluid and story-driven as possible.

The Setting:
People die. Either they are rich or poor, americans or russians or whatever, doesn't matter, they all eventually grow old and die. The vast majority of them die from old age or sickness, never knowing what makes the world tick, and their ignorance is a blessing. Knowing that is a gift to a select few, but it is a gift you must take. You are one of the small, special group composed by those people, for you have been gifted with extraordinary abilities, whether they come from luck, genes, or sheer effort. The most pressing issue with having such talents is that kind of people doesn't like competition. And they like to make that point through enthusiastic, if exaggerated, methods. You may have been aware of that since you were born and raised, your family one of the few holding special powers within its core. Or you may be someone with power from ancient ancestors deeply rooted inside your body, only slumbering to be awaken when such is needed in a wave of frightening energy and destruction. Alternatively, you may be one uncapable of using magic or destroying objects with your mind, but instead you are backed up by hard training, determination and the finest techniques you could extract from experience.

Character Gen
You get twelve points to assign to the stats of:
-Strength, which determines just straight out power. Lifting boulders, punching through walls, it's all in here.
-Endurance which, unsurprisingly, increases how much you can endure. Wanna sprint for miles? Wanna survive nuclear warfare? Here's your answer.
-Agility determines dodging, sprinting speed, and precision strikes. If you want to be one of the nerve-cluster bashing, limb disabling martial artists, this is your answer.
-Spirit is the same as ki, chi, chakra, spiritual pressure, whatever you want to call it. Beams of energy, balls of power, this is vital to them.
After you have assigned your points, create three suggestions for skills. When I finalize the sheets, I will include a full description of your skills based on the background and stats of your character.

Attributes

Attribute bonuses use fractions. For example, your +1 bonus occurs at 6 points. At 3 spirit points, you'll have a 1/2 chance of a +1 bonus to an energy blast. Each +1 to rolls requires six points to achieve, so +1 is at 6, +2 is at 12.
A stat with 0 points implies in a -1 penalty.

Mechanics and character growth
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:25:45 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Shonen:Sign-ups
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:59:26 pm »

Reserved.

Well, poke me about the skills if they need balancing.
Spoiler: Ok, Finished (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:55:46 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »

Give me a moment...

Spoiler: Hope this is decent. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:18:21 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 03:00:32 pm »

SO VERY MUCH IN!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:32:20 pm by anailater »
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 03:02:29 pm »

I think my eye started bleeding.

(Dejerkified: Please work on your spelling, grammar, and overall writing skills, or at least make it look like you didn't bash your head into the keyboard.)
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:09:25 pm »

sorry im using my kindle to type will fix it in the morning.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:10:46 pm »

I'm not entirely certain how that explains putting an h where an s would be but I'll hold you to that.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 03:13:27 pm »

It is very awkward to type with arrow keys
So how are you today?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 03:18:29 pm »

Oops forgot to post reservations which I am doing right now.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »

Hohohoho, reserved.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 04:08:56 pm »

ME. IN. NOAH.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 04:17:43 pm »

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 04:53:53 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Shonen:Sign-ups 5/5: Waitlist Open!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:57:12 pm »

Awr- great.

Waitlist.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Shonen:Sign-ups 5/5: Waitlist Open!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 10:20:39 am »

RESE-!
DAMNIT!

Waitlist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4