Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 245159 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #375 on: February 06, 2014, 11:32:33 pm »

Okay. You can make yourself invulnerable, heal from mele strikes and gain a mele damage bonus?
Yeaaaah. My Penta-using Trin would like a word with you.

Except at higher levels, invulnerability is worth gold. Granted, she can't do anything with it at higher levels because enemies will crush her after the 45 seconds of flailing. But if staying alive is a necessity, Hysteria is pretty helpful.

And really, you have to separate frames from weapons. Almost no damage abilities scale. They do flat, inconsequential damage at higher levels compared to best possible combination weapon. So yes, while Valkyr has nothing in that department that really helps (a minor armor debuff, a good melee attack speed buff that no one tries to take advantage of) so do very few other frames. I'm not saying she's a great frame. But I think she can hold her own in higher level games, much like Ash. But again like Ash, because she doesn't have one of the in-demand powers, she's considered trash.

(bar on a stealth frame, and good luck playing 4 of those in a long defense or survival)...

Actually, a friend and I have worked out some Smoke Screen/Bladestorm Ash builds that would pretty easily allow us to stay invis or permanently Bladestorming as long as we need. Haven't put it to practical application though since they essentially killed infested survival.

... the level design being constrictive and enemies being able to take out massive chunks of health/shields when they get over lvl40, the entire metagame revolves almost solely around damage negation: CC abilities, invulnerability and damage canceling. It's why everyone and their dog in Recruitment wants Trins, Vaubans and/or Frosts....

Frost just got Snow Globe switched to a health pool instead of a timer, like Rhino's Iron Skin. So, he's now officially "worthless."

Other than that I agree with your overview of the situation.

Again, I'll say the same thing here as I've said there. Fixing the systemic failings of the metagame would require a massive reworking of what Warframe actually is, and perhaps it isn't worth it. Bringing frames into alignment with the metagame, however, can be done. Make Decoy and Molt not useless and give other frames more inventive or at least convoluted cheap CC. Give more frames party-wide damage amps, because zapping one perma CC'd Bombard for half a minute until it decides to relent and fall over dead is the antitheses of fun. Fix damage scaling on abilities etc.

But I absolutely disagree with this sentiment. The metagame we have is the product of poor balancing and no real plan for the future. Doubling down on the current metagame, which I believe we've arrived at by accident rather than some sort of deliberate planning on the part of DE, will lead to the game stagnating because it can't go anywhere other than new ways to CC and finding ways to trivialize challenges. Because that's what the current metagame is: trivializing enemies who are otherwise too broken to fight on even terms. That's not really the game I want to play, one of hosing down level 200 enemies with clip after clip after clip who are slowed, confused and vortex'd. It's almost starting to be an MMO RPG at that rate. The range of acceptable Warframes and Weapons would only get narrower.

Damage and enemy scaling needs to be brought into alignment so all frames make sense on a fundamental performance level. Right now scaling makes no sense after level 40 some odd because DE is afraid of the guys who are doing survivals so long they're encountering lvl 8000 enemies. DE is afraid of them making their game look like a joke (for fucks sake, they gained so much xp the game displayed it in scientific notation. Do you think DE ever planned on that happening?)

And do you want to know why these things are happening? 

inventive, convoluted, cheap CC

Enemy and Damage Scaling is the real root of the problem. DE simply hasn't thought that far ahead even though probably 80% of their playerbase has run up against the soft level cap. So they're currently treading water by leaving higher level scaling ridiculous so most of the playerbase can't exploit the shit out of their game. Which is why it's all about Trinities, Novas, Vaubans and up until a day ago, Frosts. Breaking the game post-40 is really the only challenge left to a lot of people not farming. Meanwhile, DE spends the bulk of their energy doing the weekly update schedule and filling a game already loaded up with content with yet more crap to farm, or live testing a new event idea, so they can continue to tread water.

There's talk they've started thinking about the end game, but I wish we didn't have to wait for it before we get a damage scale that makes sense. Because of the over-reliance on CC, what people consider good is very narrow and the different nuances of what frames can do are completely lost in the noise of NERF THIS or BUFF THAT. The metagame is broken and it's going to continue to be broken until they address the underlying things that are driving player behavior.

----

Meanwhile, Interception is pretty meh. As predicted, it's built on the framework of Endless Defense. 4 points, you stand in them to capture them and the enemy captures them if you're not standing inside when they are. Guys trickle in while completion bars fill up, and when one side gets 100, the round is over and you vote like ED to stay or go. If you hold all 4 points, it takes like 4 minutes.

Unfortunately, there are too few enemies to entertain 4 players. Everyone just kinds of stands on their cap point and shoots guys as they come in, with one side or spawn getting a disproportionate number of guys. You can't leave the circle because the instant you do and there's a guy standing in it, the capture counter has to go all the way down....then all the way up....then all the way back down, adding a good 45 seconds to the end of the round each time it happens. So you have to stay in your circle. If people decide to run hot laps around the arena, it takes closer to 8 to 10 minutes.

On the flip side, I've heard it's difficult to impossible to solo. Classic DE balance.

It's a decent start but it needs a lot more tweaking, because anything less than Survival levels of activity isn't going to get played by me much.

In another classic example of DE balance, The Ties That Bind Darvo mission. Actually kind of amusing, Darvo acting like a 15 year old kid getting balled out by his dad in front of his friends. But the new model Hyenas in the mission? Not so amusing. It's a level 10 - 15 mission, and 4 of these things just absolutely spam the shit out of you with every elemental combination under the sun. Fire to knock you down and ignite you, cold to slow you, electricity fields scattered everywhere, an energy and shield drain attack, all of it AOE. These guys fucking dog piled me and three other pubbies, all decked out, and we spent about 8 minutes running around snapping off a couple shots between chain rezzing each other like crazy. There were so many particle effects on my screen my FPS took a big hit throughout the entire fight.

I'd actually failed the mission once prior and beaten the Hyenas with relative ease....when it was just me and one other guy. Ah DE. When are you guys going to test anything before going live with it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:57:36 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #376 on: February 07, 2014, 05:39:39 am »

Okay. You can make yourself invulnerable, heal from mele strikes and gain a mele damage bonus?
Yeaaaah. My Penta-using Trin would like a word with you.

Except at higher levels, invulnerability is worth gold. Granted, she can't do anything with it at higher levels because enemies will crush her after the 45 seconds of flailing. But if staying alive is a necessity, Hysteria is pretty helpful.
The point he was making there is that Trinity, if correctly built and now especially with the fact that you can get Natural Talent again, can keep the entire team invulnerable permanently, so personal invulnerability really doesn't bring much to the table.

As for stupid scaling, I have to agree, when you get into really high end levels its kind of hilarious, the rest of the team is expending all of their ammo to kill a single ridiculously powerful enemy, then I just stroll over and use shield polarize to kill everything in the room because lol infinite damage scaling with no target cap.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 07, 2014, 01:52:34 pm »

Corrupted Mods really changed what's possible in game, and DE didn't have the foresight to see what it was going to do the metagame. With mods like Narrow-minded, you can really break the game through constant application of powers. Trinity has long been known to be an invulnerability tank and it was just made more powerful by corrupted mods.

And honestly, endless group invulernability? Is that really the standard we want to hold the rest of the game up to? Where is there any room for variance or fun when you're contending with that level of trivializing the game?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:03:53 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »

So they talked about a boatload of stuff in Devstream 22...

A lot of it relating to the endgame.

1. Items that level up with excess experience (ie when your Warframe is rank 30) called lenses. There's the Warrior Lens and others. Leveling them up unlocks sort of passive abilities that are independent of your Warframe. You can equip as many of these things as you have Mastery rank. When equipped, they allow you to "Focus" during a level, gaining all the benefits of your chosen perks, for a short duration. You can only do it once per level.

2. Faction rep grinds for items. Yep, you knew it was coming. Corpus, Grineer and other faction reputation that goes up and down based on what you do. Maxing it out in either direction will make you a hated foe of the faction, or they'll give you gear like weapons and cosmetics and stuff. They also mentioned something about earning favors from factions.

3. Badlands/Solar Rail. Here's where it gets quirky. So there will be these inaccessible areas in each sector called Badlands. What they're about or you do there, they were kind of nebulous on (better resources, rarer drops, hard to find enemies....so like a farming...zone?) But to get to these areas, a clan or clan alliance has to build a "Solar Rail" to travel to it. Once one is built, that's it, no more in the sector. The Clan can set a tax that everyone has to pay (except people and clans they excluded with a finer grained control system) if they want to travel to the Badlands in that sector. If another clan gets sick of this deal, they can build their own Solar Rail, and challenge the other clan for the right to ownership of the passage. An invasion style mission is kicked off, and the side players choose to fight for ultimately gets control of the Solar Rail.

...Not exactly what I was thinking in terms of an endgame. There's certainly plenty of long-term grinding mechanics of what people will be doing with their time.....but there's a lack of that epic experience to work towards. On the plus side at least mastery will finally have a use, and we're not just grinding for more Warframes and weapons. Still, there's something missing from the equation.

In other news, the star map will be going away in favor of hubs where players can walk around and talk to each other and interact before going on missions, along with emotes, animations and trading booths.

Also they're devising a range of "Warframe Neutral" powers that any frame can equip, to compliment your chosen playstyle.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:22:45 pm by nenjin »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #379 on: February 08, 2014, 06:47:05 am »

Endgame would be a hard thing to do with the current state of things. They really need to get a power standard for frames/weapons worked out and stick with it, then progress towards endgame. I mean, I've resigned to the fact that this is a grind game, and that's fine, honestly, the game is fun enough to play if you're not forced to run the same mission over and over again to make any forward progress on the grind. And that's all we've got right now.

I'd think they can't make it worse. Clan warfare always results in drama, which is something to point at and gawk, at least. And with 4chan/Something Awful around that's always gonna end up being something.

Factions could be interesting if they expand on them and make them more then a "now you're pals with the grineer, you get mega grineer gun" and that's it. Maxed out faction rep unlocking special, hopefully more complex then "kill all mans" missions against other factions, for instance. Long ish more "raid-ey" missions. I can't think of any specific examples because it's 5:45 in the morning but you get the idea.

I'd also like to say that the point capture thing has a lot of potential if they can get it worked out, but yeah, right now it's way too easy to dominate. The most recent one I did involved me standing in place while a vauban used teslas to basically camp all the spawns.

I litterally stood there and gained a weapon level now and then. If they can get enemy groups to force tenno out of position and force the rest of the team to respond in some manner, someone mentioned drop ships, for instance, that would just dump a group of grineer on a point for you to deal with suddenly, things could get interesting fast. As of now, it is perhaps the most purestrain (if not time efficient) farming that I've ever seen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 08, 2014, 04:52:48 pm »

I still think Survival is a more efficient and fun way to farm. You'll get more mods, more exp and generally be less bored. You even make better cash rewards, on average.

That said, after doing 3 rounds of Interception with friends last night, Handspring was the reward. I've been looking for that mod basically since I started playing. So as much as I've hated on Interception, it did me a solid. All the mods offered were rares, so...I dunno if it's the place to be to get rares now.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:33:29 pm by nenjin »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »

Yeah, honestly, survival is really fun? But there's nothing wrong with making them all viable options. I don't mind survival, but I much prefer "normal" missions for more questionably useful parkour shenanigans.

And yeah, I am a total supporter of clan drama, as long as you keep a safe distance it can be entertaining get involved in or just watch.

Meanwhile, codex 2.0

Not really.

TopHatandMonocle on reddit (I think, I know it's his username, not sure if it's his reddit username), made it, and it's great.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »

Yeah, honestly, survival is really fun? But there's nothing wrong with making them all viable options. I don't mind survival, but I much prefer "normal" missions for more questionably useful parkour shenanigans.

Survival is pretty much everything that makes WF good, condensed down into one mission type.

It's got the spawn rate.
It's got the challenge (eventually.)
It's got the lack of down time.
It's got the rewards. (Affinity, sicks amounts of materials and mods.)
It's got the longevity so you can play as long as you feel like it.

For people that are always going to have one rank 15 or greater item on them, most missions not Survival are simply over too fast, too easily. I remember when I first started playing, a high enough level Exterminate was tough. But no longer.

It's not that I think Survival is the ultimate mission and nothing is ever going to be better than it....but in order for new mission types to really be desirable to play by players, it has to at least reach survival's level of intensity and rewards. Or Survival needs to get nerfed, and that ain't happening.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #383 on: March 07, 2014, 06:38:30 pm »

So, recent event was very easy (hijack, literal mobile defense, objective moves through the stage, using your shields as fuel, public reaction seems to be "too easy, but fun".

The recent livestream was "hijacked" by vay hek near the end to announce that the event was getting harder!

and his voice actor and animation is greaaaaaat holy shit

still no melee 2.0 but any time now really

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 07, 2014, 08:52:34 pm »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2014, 03:19:11 am »

Everyone on the official forums seems to agree so far: that was awesome. :D
I have yet to try the hard mode but trust me I will. As soon as I managed to farm the 6 fragments I need (you got 2 per mission so that's not bad. Plus, the intercept mission just got a whole lot harder O_o)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2014, 04:57:23 am »

The hard mode is actually pretty rough! Had a level 40 bombard in there, so it's definitely not a walk in the park.

If you can keep things under control and open gates (you have to open them manually via alarm panels) quickly, it's not too bad, but if you get bogged down anywhere things get ugly fast.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2014, 07:04:16 pm »

That was pretty awesome, in a confusing way, since i don't really know a lot about this game. The little bit I played of it so far was interesting though. Any tips?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:19:01 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 08, 2014, 07:43:32 pm »

Life is speed.

Speed is death.

Death is life.

There really isn't a lot to say about the game that isn't readily apparent. Buy the Braton if you're still using the MK-1 Braton. It's pretty much just a straight upgrade over it. For best leveling/mods, Survival missions can't be beat. Alerts are a good way to get cash and some uncommon things (helmet blueprints, non-purchasable/non-droppable weapon blue prints.) Careful though, the level ranges can vary wildly between missions. Most Warframes parts and blueprints are acquired from fighting bosses.

Spend your first 50 platinum on an Orokin Reactor or Catalyst. Higher level weapons are Mastery Rank locked, and Mastery Rank comes from the first time you level a new weapon, Warframe or Sentinel to 30, each planet you explore (i.e. beat successfully) and a couple other things. Most public groups want to get through the mission as fast as they can, so expect that when playing with pubbies. If you want to stop and smell the gross Grineer clouds of atmosphere, play solo. Invasions are good ways to get lots of cash built up in the early game.

The mods to focus on to get your gear "level appropriate" are Redirection/Vitality (Warframe), Serration/Split Barrel (Primary Rifle, Shotguns and Snipers have some of their own mods), Hornet Strike and Barrel Diffusion (Secondary Weapon), Pressure Point (Melee, some weapons benefit from other mods more than Pressure Point, which affects the normal swing damage amount.) Once those are leveled, you can very quickly overpower lower level missions as soon as you can fit them on your Warframe.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:51:25 pm by nenjin »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #389 on: March 08, 2014, 09:31:45 pm »

Another decent thing to spend starting plat on is warframe/weapon slots. Warframe slots are generally more valuble, but if you're the type of person to find and stick with a single frame/set of weapons, having a potato might be worth it.

Pretty much everything else nenjin said is spot on. If you're in a bad situation, get out of it!

I'd also reccomend soloing a bit until you get on your feet or you may get inadvertantly carried to late game planets and have no idea what to do because the matchmaking is atrocious. I've heard it's been improved, but I'm not a low level anymore! Nor do I co op very often.

If you need any help with anything, feel free to add Seriyu. I generally just kinda putz around anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 133