Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 245081 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2013, 02:40:08 pm »

Wait, what? Either flavor of Mag is amazing. Pull becomes amazing when modded in any way, shield polarize is useful even to the furthest reaches of the hardest tower, magnetize allows EVERYONE to do more damage to one target, and crush is your typical panic button nuke. Hell, I'd put Ash below her, since all he gets is a two-target shuriken, a short cloak, useless teleport, and nuke button that's inconsistent the better half of the time.

Mag got buffed a lot a little while ago.

Pull used to do no damage and just sort of teleport one enemy to your feet. Polorize (iirc) didn't damage enemy shields before, or didn't explode them when it damaged them, or something like that I forget exactly.

Considering the other two skills aren't really that great (bullet attractor makes headshots harder and costs way, way too much for the effect and crush is just sort of middle of the road because it locks you in place and the damage is not amazing) mag was decidedly below average.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2013, 04:09:59 pm »

One thing I will give Valkyr is that they look pretty cool. Can't comment on anything else, because I neither have it, nor any frame beside Excalibur for reference.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2013, 04:24:53 pm »

Hell, I'd put Ash below her, since all he gets is a two-target shuriken, a short cloak, useless teleport, and nuke button that's inconsistent the better half of the time.

Time for a rant.

I really dislike player discussions of Warframe balance sometimes. Because the discussion boils down to one thing most of the time: does it kill better than X?

And while the game doesn't do the best job of making other questions relevant, I feel like most Warframes get written off because one or two Warframes happen to be more effective at some stuff.

Ex: Ash. Yes, he's not as killtacular as Rhino or Nova. But "A short cloak?" How about "A cheap invisibility that can be used constantly, makes your Galatine do ~8k crits all day long while it's active, and keeps you alive even during the 30th minute of T3 Survival." Bladestorm may not be great but when modded right, it's like 30 to 45 seconds of invulnerability WHILE you're DPSing. Shuriken and Teleport may not be worth it, but again, it's about context. What are you doing? If you're just facerolling Apollodorous, yes, those skills are not worth it and Rhino or Nova dominates.

T3 Tower Survival? Heh. Nova gets her ass handed to her because her ability doesn't scale. Iron Skin gets vaporized in one volley. Trinity is useless in lower level missions because no one needs help with shields or health. But in a different context, she's essential.

So yeah. I'd wish when people talk about Warframe balance, context was as important a consideration as how many d00ds you can one-button-kill.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:40:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2013, 04:28:38 pm »

So I did the first mission and now I'm rank 30 in everything and have thirty million credits.

What the fuck just happened.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2013, 04:29:39 pm »

So I did the first mission and now I'm rank 30 in everything and have thirty million credits.

Sounds like Beta happened.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2013, 04:31:49 pm »

Wait, what? Either flavor of Mag is amazing. Pull becomes amazing when modded in any way, shield polarize is useful even to the furthest reaches of the hardest tower, magnetize allows EVERYONE to do more damage to one target, and crush is your typical panic button nuke. Hell, I'd put Ash below her, since all he gets is a two-target shuriken, a short cloak, useless teleport, and nuke button that's inconsistent the better half of the time.

Mag got buffed a lot a little while ago.

Pull used to do no damage and just sort of teleport one enemy to your feet. Polorize (iirc) didn't damage enemy shields before, or didn't explode them when it damaged them, or something like that I forget exactly.

Considering the other two skills aren't really that great (bullet attractor makes headshots harder and costs way, way too much for the effect and crush is just sort of middle of the road because it locks you in place and the damage is not amazing) mag was decidedly below average.
Pull used to be single-target, no damage. Basically Valkyr's Ripline, but without the damage and without the spider-man stuff. Polarize did damage ennemy shields, but was single target and did little. Bullet attractor was way smaller and didn't explode on ennemy death, being flat out detrimental past a certain skill level as ennemies' weak point couldn't be targeted. Crush was OK, but didn't ignore armour (it still doesnt, but before damage 2.0, anything that wasn't armor ignore was crap past a certain level).
So pull was buffed to be multi-target (pull V2), then the V3 did damage. RIDICULOUS, armor ignore damage, on a HUGE range. Add the +25% range helmet, a max stretch and overextended, and pull was a spammable machine gun of death, killing EVERYTHING within 150 meters. Then it was nerfed back to acceptable levels.

SPACENINJA'd:

WTF indeed. first mercury mission?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2013, 06:54:31 pm »

Hell, I'd put Ash below her, since all he gets is a two-target shuriken, a short cloak, useless teleport, and nuke button that's inconsistent the better half of the time.

Time for a rant.

I really dislike player discussions of Warframe balance sometimes. Because the discussion boils down to one thing most of the time: does it kill better than X?

And while the game doesn't do the best job of making other questions relevant, I feel like most Warframes get written off because one or two Warframes happen to be more effective at some stuff.

Ex: Ash. Yes, he's not as killtacular as Rhino or Nova. But "A short cloak?" How about "A cheap invisibility that can be used constantly, makes your Galatine do ~8k crits all day long while it's active, and keeps you alive even during the 30th minute of T3 Survival." Bladestorm may not be great but when modded right, it's like 30 to 45 seconds of invulnerability WHILE you're DPSing. Shuriken and Teleport may not be worth it, but again, it's about context. What are you doing? If you're just facerolling Apollodorous, yes, those skills are not worth it and Rhino or Nova dominates.

T3 Tower Survival? Heh. Nova gets her ass handed to her because her ability doesn't scale. Iron Skin gets vaporized in one volley. Trinity is useless in lower level missions because no one needs help with shields or health. But in a different context, she's essential.

So yeah. I'd wish when people talk about Warframe balance, context was as important a consideration as how many d00ds you can one-button-kill.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Every frame is viable, they've been good about that much. And to be fair, having made a Soma, damage 2.0 really has made at least most "paste everything nearby in a matter of seconds" weapons at least have some kind of downside. (namely it has low impact damage and as a result has issues with shields, unless you blow two slots on magnetic damage) A notable exception is Vectis, which is still one shotting everything just as easy as it used to.

So I guess, ultimately, use what frame you want to use, rather then chasing some kind of optimum frame, unless you're going into super high end (like, half an hour or more) survival/defense. And even then, with some tweaking, I'm willing to bet you can still be useful, if even not ulting and killing everything constantly.

(I really wish they'd bake health and shield increases into frame levels more though. As is redirection/vitality just eats a slot out of nesscessity.)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2013, 07:01:07 pm »

Been having fun with my Trinity, although she doesn't have powerful offensive abilities, sometimes it just feels the team is winning only because I'm making them invulnerable.

But playing with random people who have no idea and KEEP KILLING your vampired target is really annoying.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2013, 07:06:02 pm »

Trinity is great, and much like valkyr is actually a huge gameplay shift between her and the other frames. She's actually one of the two or three frames that can really make a health build work, just because of health vampire. I think she has 10 armor, soooo the point of using a health build is kind've in question, but you can certainly do it! Link is also a great alternative to the usual "everything dies" skill type.

I really just like any frame that has good usage of melee.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2013, 10:12:35 pm »

My friend has this on his PS4, so I've been playing it a bit.
Not enough to really know the ins-and-outs of it, but enough to realise it's pretty damn fun. Been playing a MAG with the starting gear... currently crafting a better (?) sword. Chucked a few handy upgrades (products of my ninja looting skills) on all my stuff as well.
How does the PS4 version stack up against the PC one?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2013, 10:21:02 pm »

Trinity is great, and much like valkyr is actually a huge gameplay shift between her and the other frames. She's actually one of the two or three frames that can really make a health build work, just because of health vampire. I think she has 10 armor, soooo the point of using a health build is kind've in question, but you can certainly do it! Link is also a great alternative to the usual "everything dies" skill type.

I really just like any frame that has good usage of melee.

Actually I don't use health vampire at all, just energy vampire or whatever the name is, then spam Heal/Invulnerability as much as i can.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »

My friend has this on his PS4, so I've been playing it a bit.
Not enough to really know the ins-and-outs of it, but enough to realise it's pretty damn fun. Been playing a MAG with the starting gear... currently crafting a better (?) sword. Chucked a few handy upgrades (products of my ninja looting skills) on all my stuff as well.
How does the PS4 version stack up against the PC one?

PS4 is the PC version, but an update behind. It'll be coming along any time now, then you get to deal with the new damage system! (It's pretty good, if a bit of change shock) When the PS4 version gets caught up/when sony gives the go ahead, they'll activate the "rainbow bridge" and let PS4 and PC players play together.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2013, 04:32:09 am »

I'm currently in love with the Ignis.

First off, it has great ammo efficiency. Extra effective against light infested and, surprising, moderately so against most stuff. The biggest downside, isn't that big of a deal. It shoots deceptively farther than the graphics makes you think it does.

And then there's the way it works mechanically. Its cone of fire is aoe fire. Around that cone is an aoe of explosive damage. Using Heavy Caliber, you can jack the base damage up to like 360% or something insane. The penalty to accuracy actually increases the spread of the initial cone. Add Firestorm on top of that, and the explosive damage at the edge of the cone widens.

The attack cuts through corners, floors and ceilings. I was hitting guys in another hallway from me entirely in a Grineer Survival. This is without Metal Auger on, which as far as I can tell doesn't add anything to the weapon. When you start modding in different elements, the thing clocks in over 1000 combined damage.

It's just pure ownage, walking forward torching everything in front of you. Damage against Grineer falls off around level 35 or so, but I've yet to fully max the weapon out (on my 4th Forma for it I think.) Damage against Infested stays good for much higher than that.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2013, 04:39:27 am »

put in elements in the following order in the ignis: heat, cold, electricity, toxin. what that will do is make it so your ignis will shoot both blast and corrosive element making it very good against grineer...key thing is getting pathogen rounds which can be tough.

you can also set up it for other enemies.
corpus: heat, toxin, cold, electric
infested...you could leave it with just fire...or use: heat, electric, cold, toxin.

if you want to set it up so its good vs everything then just put heat and electric to make radiation, this damage type has no negetives.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:47:13 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »

So how in the hell does one get Forma? OMFGLazerGunsPewPew needs a trading post.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 133