Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 245021 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2013, 10:46:14 pm »

Yeah. It's things like Heavy Impact, and basically every new Warframe they add, that are really killing my appreciation of the game. There's nothing like seeing 15 dudes coming, and then watching a team mate kill them all with one ability, one move or one button press. I just stand back and watch all the EXP numbers light up. It basically destroys any illusion that the game rewards skill. The whole point of AoE was that it was supposed to be an oh shit kind of thing. It's why they won't give us grenades.  But who the fuck needs grenades when your landing does more AoE damage than half of your abilities? Now I just watch one guy clean up every wave from 1 to 10 doing stuff like this, and it just bores me to tears. Sure, it's easy leveling. At the cost of the game seeming like it has any balance what so ever.

Which is why I still solo everything short of defense, survival and alerts. Playing solo is the only way I can enjoy the finesse the game offers. Otherwise it's just a zerg rush of AOE.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2013, 11:44:02 pm »

Honestly I feel playing it that way is pretty great. I do it that way myself.

With that said, the game does have one glaring balence issue that anyone that's been to late game has seen. Armor scales up way too hard. Armor 2.0 will likely fix that (if it doesn't it litterally has no purpose so I'd hope it will). It won't make the game harder, but it will pave the way for (again hopefully) making end game content that supports having four tenno and actually challenges them. I don't think the "press 4, hundreds die" thing is going away any time soon just due to the nature of zerg rush being the most threatening thing to a group, but hopefully once armor 2.0 is out of they way they can focus a bit more on end game content.

There's a warframe up for discussion in the design council (Saw it on reddit, look here for it, be warned, the warframe subreddit is unreasonably grumpy about every little thing) that looks promising in the 4 kills everything regard though, a berserker warframe. the ult makes you immune to damage and amps up your melee damage. If you don't kill everything nearby (no idea what "nearby" means exactly) you take all the damage you took and probably immediately keel over. That would take some effort for your everything dies button. Maybe they're using it to test the waters for alternate ability formats. (for those that dislike reddit, the other two abilities they have decided are Take a percentage of your shields off, AoE cone burst in front of you using the amount taken as damage, and intimidate an enemy and give a percentage of your own? the enemies? not sure, armor and give it to the surrounding tenno, along with reducing their stamina consumption.)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2013, 01:59:14 am »

So I'm a little late on this (started on Wednesday), but WAR HAS BROKEN OUT

Basically here's how it works, every planet has battle pay. This can be anything from Potatoes to morphics for grineer, and primarily credits for corpus, although they've put forth some potatoes and blueprints (vauban helmet blueprint up now actually), when you fight five successful battles for a planet on one side, you get their battle pay. The missions are exterminate missions with a special map, and a ton of just stuff going on. You periodically hear missles impact the ship, explosions, alarms, the stage is always on fire, the screen shakes periodically etc. If you fight for the other side, it adds one point to the battle pay for that side, and reduces the battle pay for the other side should you have any. So stick to one side per planet at the very least. When a planet is conquered by the grineer, it changes the race on that planet to grineer, when it's defended it stays corpus. I would be surpised if this doesn't leak into phobos as well, with corpus being on the offensive. This thing has a week to play itself out, then a winner is declared, judged by how many factions own planets. The most win. It's looking a little leaning towarrds grineer now, but if nothing else it's a good source of credits rare mats, and the occasional potato/hard to find BP.

Naturally there are end event rewards, detailed here. So yeah. Take out the corpus to get the tenno they took back, or help the corpus and prevent the grineer from holding an even larger amount of space? Also preventing the whole enslavement of entire star systems thing. It's kinda fun honestly! Missions are fairly hard for exterminate, corpus got a new unit with a flux rifle that just melts through you, and the grineer have more flame launcher troops then you can shake a stick at. Soloing is difficult at best with all the fire pits around, and even team matches tend to get chaotic.

So yeah. That's happening. Go to mars to participate!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2013, 08:55:41 am »

Woo! We teamed up last night for WARRRR, and I got at least 100k creds out of it. And hopefully an orokin reactor and another 100k, but haven't logged in since to check.

Why is it that the Link power protects you sometimes but other times you get dead anyway?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2013, 08:54:36 am »

So I can verify that this event is indeed awesome. The battles in each level is something I've been wanting in Warframe from the beginning. The shaking, the alarms, the impacts, the outright battle between both sides, it's a delicious amount of chaos.

As for the specifics of the event itself, it's pretty much like other WF events. It's pretty grindy and the rewards are soso. (Running 5 missions to earn an Orokin Cell, when your chances of getting it from a single boss run are better? Hrmmm.....) The credits are nice though. I suppose if you really crave the end of event rewards, it's worth doing your 25 runs. I can't imagine doing 100 runs though.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2013, 04:59:06 pm »

As for the specifics of the event itself, it's pretty much like other WF events. It's pretty grindy and the rewards are soso. (Running 5 missions to earn an Orokin Cell, when your chances of getting it from a single boss run are better? Hrmmm.....) The credits are nice though. I suppose if you really crave the end of event rewards, it's worth doing your 25 runs. I can't imagine doing 100 runs though.

5 missions for one cell? Actually, more like a pack of 5 cells. Or an Orokin REACTOR, which is way more valuable.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2013, 12:02:15 am »

Serious, corpus 4 lyfe. Also yes, when a side is offering rareish resources, they tend to be in groups of 3 to 5. Still not a huge amount, but enough to be worth it if you favor a particular side.

Looks like grineer are pulling ahead, but corpus honestly had a pretty good comeback for a few shining moments. So close to being even in score again...

Rewards have kind've dropped off since the double reactor (and forma that I missed) yesterday, but more feldiron/mutagen is never a bad thing if you have clantech you need made. Although there is a Vauban systems vs vauban helmet on tharsis for anyone still looking for his parts! There was a chassis before, but it seems to be the most common part. Also of note is the team restores available on arcadia are a repeatable blueprint that makes 10 at a time, so they're actually pretty good!

Overall the event is pretty good, but the mechanics could use some fiddling with. Like... being able to shift the balance of a planet significantly somehow, for one! As is the steamroll effect is just too strong. It's nice that counter offensives can go on though.

In either case I'm not complaining about all these potatoes. A lot of people are assuming when new sargas ruk and alad V go in as bosses, they'll drop brakk/detron parts, so I doubt we'll lose those end reward weapons permanantly. And even if the grineer win, the machete is clearly the superior (looking) weapon, so I won't be toooo heartbroken.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:03:46 am by Seriyu »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2013, 02:36:50 pm »

It's chassis vs system, helmet was earlier.

Grineer are this close to win two more nodes AND repel the two corpus counter offensives going on.

I went with grineer, because lore.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:01 am »

By the by, go to the market now and buy the halloween color palette. It's one credit. Not platinum, credit. Basically free, and it retires in four days.

It's more colors. Who doesn't love that?

WHY DID I FORGET TO MENTION THAT, thank you for picking up after my memory Naxza! It's got some pretty great reds, yellows and greens in it. Highly reccomended.

It's chassis vs system, helmet was earlier.

Grineer are this close to win two more nodes AND repel the two corpus counter offensives going on.

I went with grineer, because lore.

He means vauban helmet/system/chassis, I actually finished my vauban because of the war! Hooray beard robot.

War ends in two days presuming they don't intend to end it early due to inactivity. The entire thing has slowed down considerably. At least get those 25 runs for the wraith machete! Wraith/Vandal weapons don't tend to pop up very much, if at all, and if I'm correct so far have been limited exclusively to events. Also it looks amazing. The Brakk and Detron are confirmed to show up later on at some point or another, this is just early access. So yeah, 25 is the big point to hit.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15:54 am »

Meanwhile....Nightmare missions....O...M....F....G. Even without the mutators that completely fuck you, it's insanely hard. We've barely made it out of a 7 minute Nightmare Survival, the lowest level one available. It's a lot of fun, Warframe definitely changes tone when you're the hunted instead of the hunter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2013, 09:27:55 am »

Nightmares are extremely fun, at least until you get the one that nixes your shields and drains your energy.

Yep. That one in particular is the kiss of death. But even then, last night we kept trying to be cocky and go for the 10 minute reward when we had something like Low Grav/Enemy Damage....and the game would quickly show us between minute 6 and minute 8 how unprepared we were for that shit.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »

Meanwhile (also in rage thread):

My warlord is being a dick.

In our clan dojo in warframe, one of us claimed an elevator, because he likes to play with it. Going up&down for hours, you see...
So, being an Architect, I am able to put a message on the message board officially instating this room as his. Totally harmless, right?
Our warlord apparently ranted about it and deleted the message. Furthermore, he refused to temporarily instate me as warlord. I proposed that because I have a fuckton of cash and I could pay the 150 platinum necessary to put a custom clan logo. On the basis that I would instantly kick him...

I put it back as this: "Super Ethical Fun Ride #[name of the player who claimed it] #yolo #swag #illuminatiworldwideconspiracy"

Then I went to the most remote part of the dojo, a lone reactor somewhere, put a sigil hidden on the far wall and a message on the console reading like that: "Social HQ of the Rebellion".

He deleted the message (not the sigil though) and demoted so I am no longer able to place rooms, decorations or room messages.

The only one of us he's still listening to sent him a link from LetMeGoogleThatForYou: Humor.

He's still thinking that we're conspirating against him and refuse to change his mind.

We bought every single weapon blueprint available and are preparing for all out war.

He basically made the conspiracy real by being obsessed about it and being a paranoid, humorless dick.

As soon as he reinstate me as Architect, I'm sooo demolishing all the dojo, refund everyone, and leg it.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2013, 05:36:05 pm »

If you need a clan, I can toss you an invite. Practically no one is ever on, we don't do anything organized, but we've got a mostly-complete clan hall and no drama.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2013, 12:01:29 pm »

Guess I'll update and see what's new and if the latency problems I've been having are fixed.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2013, 04:08:00 pm »

Nevermind, the drama ended.
And so did the event, we're awaiting update with the weapons.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 133