Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 244892 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2013, 02:26:59 am »

Fwiw, the first (and so far only) frame I managed to construct was the Rhino and it seems fairly good.  It did involve a bit of grinding to get the Rubedo needed though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2013, 06:51:50 am »

Hmmm...

Now that I've figured out polarities and mod fusion I might stick with Mag at least for now, it looks like it's been getting some attention.  Pull now grabs multiple enemies which can set you up for some giant crushes.
Shoes...

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2013, 08:41:08 am »

I think the weakest point of the game right now is boss fights, and the fact end level content is based on completely random drops (or spending money.)

Everything else awesome is dropped by Alert Missions with ? rewards only. And even if they add stuff like void keys to boss drops, they'll be lost among all the other possible rewards. So much of the game's progression hinges on the RNG and it's almost spastically random sometimes.

Yup.  I really want to like this game, cause the theme is cool and the gameplay is decent and getting better.  The grind is nearly unbearable though, precisely because it is so random.  If you care to and were particularly unlucky, you could play hundreds of hours without getting what you need to progress.  Drop rates on vital mods and stuff were abysmal, though DESteve said he was going to look at them after people punked him hard on the forums about it.

Time to update and see if I get any BP drops after 4 or 5 boss runs.  If not, put it away for a couple more months, hoping they listen to the community telling them that progression needs to not be random.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2013, 04:19:21 pm »

FWIW, look at it this way.

It's not like the grind is done in any way that impedes your normal activities in the game. The game is about runnin', shootin', jumpin' and lootin'. So whether you're grinding defense missions for Rubedo, grinding Boss missions for a BP, or just grinding for mods and void keys, yer grinding. Grinding for BPs is ultimately easier because a) the boss drop tables are about 3 to 5 items and b) Materials drop in regular, known quantities. Consider that grinding for a particular rare mod is way, way less predictable. I had to do a serious 4 to 5 hour grind session to get the Ashe BPs (which I'd actually gotten once already but a mislabeled item confused me.) Once you've done it, it's done. The rest pretty much comes in the normal course of play.

My issue with the game still currently remains that everything in it right now, even Void Missions, still feel like the training for something more. The end game hinges on new content, and in particular, new drops and/or progression systems that get introduced. Forma, Polarity and the Guild Hall are all some nice long-term goals to play toward...but if you're a 1 Warframe kinda guy, you start running out of things to be motivated to do. The only true challenge I've run into was doing a Tower III Void Key mission. Those guys were ridiculously hard and your weapons did fuck all for damage. So that was really fun, by way of comparison to say a boss fight, which is scripted to be hard.

But I don't know if the game has much of a future if it can't evolve beyond its current form of corridors, dudes and killing. The pieces are all there for them to iterate on it and make more refined gameplay experiences and scenarios. It's a matter of whether they make the time to do it, or get stuck in a loop of endlessly trying to crank out more of the same content to keep the F2P engaging. Like, an open, non corridor-based level would be pretty awesome to run around in.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:21:51 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2013, 12:25:22 pm »

I have finally joined in on this game and dropped a $20 so I could play with fun weapons right away. After 5 missions I really like it, what I don't like is when I get grouped up with some speed racer character who decides to forget any measure of stealth or strategy and blazes through ahead of everyone else and refuses to communicate. It sort of seems like it misses the point, so I typically just play on my own, losing out on good old co-op.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2013, 12:35:30 pm »

Stealth seems to only work till the first time the enemy is alerted, then you are punished for going too slow... by being slowed down even more. By way of 'lockdowns'.  Some maps/areas seem to have a huge/unlimited spawn pool, while others are limited.
Which probably teaches players to go fast or get overrunned/take more time then necessary.  Don't worry, a few will probably stop to loot.  (Special loot isn't shared on pickup, each player has to individually grab it themselves.)

And yea... communication doesn't really matter at all, at least for the early missions.  Which I think I'm still at, last I checked.  I stopped playing, mostly cause I can't find any random groups to run with for progression.  It is very boring going solo.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2013, 01:00:13 pm »

Guys seem to stop coming after you've killed ~300 or more of them.

I generally only enjoy the game most with friends, because at least you can communicate whilst speed running. Basically, the only reasons NOT to speed run are: a) you want to open every container because you need materials and b) you want to farm as much affinity as possible.

I'd like to take more time in missions and fully explore levels, the game currently just doesn't give you compelling enough reasons to do it. Playing fast keeps the difficulty up and keeps me focused, otherwise it's all too easy to drift off course or stop paying attention.

Later on in game, once you hit level 35+ enemies, speed running becomes a lot more dangerous. Not impossible, by any means, but tough enough to sometimes punish people who are way, way too far ahead.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2013, 03:06:38 pm »

Thinking of getting this, does it take a very powerful computer?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2013, 03:11:30 pm »

Nah. Mid-spec for today should be able to pretty much max it out.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2013, 03:15:00 pm »

Sounds good, cause i'm like, meh spec from 3 years ago.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2013, 07:32:24 am »

Alrighty, Signed up as Facekillz058, now waiting for the update to finish.
Am I correct in assuming we have a clan?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2013, 09:20:02 am »

I got a decent way in before I got disillusioned.  I was really into getting the Rhino, but Jackal was dropping the chassis every single time, and Jupiter Golem wasn't dropping any of the thing I needed, and I needed tons of Rubedo for my weapons, and I started to think ahead about what I'd do after I got Rhino, and there was just more of the same thing but with a different grind goal.

It was like when I quit playing Monster Hunter.  I'd just spent what felt like my entire life getting the Cephalos Mail and that ridiculous looking blue greatsword, and then as soon as I was done I was just working on a new set of armor.  I can handle a treadmill as long as I don't realize I'm on it.  Once I'm aware of the treadmill I can no longer enjoy a game.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2013, 10:24:43 am »

Partially why I backed off quite a bit from playing too. I'm looking for the content to be delivered in new ways, so the grind isn't quite so in your face obvious.

Also, they completely sissified the sound effects for both my Burston and my Afuris. Afuris used to sound amazing, like a piece of heavy machinery destroying itself and spitting chunks of hot metal everywhere. Now? It sounds like a fully automatic .22. BS.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:22:59 pm by nenjin »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2013, 07:24:12 am »

Can any of you guys recommend the Fang? It looks half decent looking at it's stats, but that thought has come back to bite me before.

I'm also trying to figure out what Frame I plan on using later in the game. I'm thinking either Frost, or that Poison one.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2013, 11:02:04 am »

Frost is more tanky, very useful for defence with the Orb, but also able to deal lots of damage with Avalanche.
Saryn is faster, and more focused on dealing damage. Her first ability create a spore you can shoot to spread it. Her ultimate is an above average nukebutton. And she has an ability which greatly enhance her melee damage. As she is focused on DOT, the mod enhancing power duration is a MUST. She has a lot of health, too.

Fang is quite good, or so I heard. It is very very fast but deals low damage. But wiki says it's armor piercing and that's great against grineer and ancients. Less so against light infested like chargers, which kinda sucks. Could go well with saryn. Is better since Pressure point has been severely buffed up. Fury is a must.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 133