Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 245183 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #465 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:25 pm »

I kind of miss charge shots... maybe they will introduce a style with them later... though I have yet to find a style mod.

I do find melee combat to be rather inconvenient in how it is executed but whatever.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:42:40 pm by Neonivek »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #466 on: July 31, 2014, 06:45:26 pm »

Yeah I guess it would be second iteration. I think I started about 6 months or so after release. But since I started, this is the 3rd UI I've seen, so that makes at least 4 UI makeovers.

And maybe bioorganic wasn't the right description. It just seemed less new age tech. Warframe had a very alien vibe to me when I first started, but it's been getting less and less so as time has gone on.

New age sounds a lot more accurate, for sure. I admit they're going strange places with the UI.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 11, 2014, 12:44:31 am »

I just started playing this game and it's fantastic. I love the speed. I love the music. I love the fact that a weapon I thought was kinda useless (Kunai-Mk1) became absurdly powerful because of some upgrades I found. My only problems with it is that the movement can get a bit fiddly at times (trying to deliberately fall into a vent is a nightmare) and running the game in fullscreen is causing UI bugs.

Edit: Wow. High level excavation has Serious Sam levels of enemies being thrown at you.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:29:15 am by NobodyPro »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 13, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »

Yeah... I really liked the game at first too, but it quickly became dull.
Excuse my ranting. I had to get that out there, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 13, 2014, 03:18:23 pm »

Those are all pretty legitimate complaints. Honestly, the most fun I had in WF was when I started, and had zero mods. You have to play tactically, seek cover, ect...Once you're modded out and 90% of the game turns into a speed run, the remaining 10% difficulty is as you described it: insane HPs, insane damage output, more enemies.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 13, 2014, 03:32:34 pm »

•Stealth is... not an option. It's nearly nonexistent. "If we're space ninjas, why do we all go in guns blazing?"

I always assumed because we aren't Ninjas we are basically a strike force meant to clear out entire rooms before anyone notices.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 13, 2014, 03:41:27 pm »

So is client Mirage still horribly broken?  I know they were throwing out a few fixes on that behalf, but I haven't been keeping up with it.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:27 pm »

The sell for the original game idea had a bigger stealth focus and, you might notice, lotus will talk about how you haven't been detected when you're in the level and haven't gotten into a real fight with anyone.

I've gone fast, killed fast, and ground fast, but, imo, there wasn't enough variety to keep me grinding just to check out another weapon that has to be leveled before it is as good as my current one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 13, 2014, 09:37:58 pm »

WF for me retains its fun on pretty much just one level now: sheer murder. The new mods, the new 'frames, the "new" weapons....all just there to stop the game from basically being an arena murder simulator.

There's still some fun to be had optimizing your Warframe and tweaking each weapon's set up to its top performance....but at the top level WF just doesn't deliver a variety of challenges to keep that fun train rolling down the tracks. The Arch-Wing update is going to be yet another distraction from WF's core issue: its gameplay hasn't changed at all. Nothing has been added that has elevated it from a run and gun shooter. Better stealth, better missions, are all supposed to be gateways into taking WF's gameplay to the next level.....but each new event is just a rehashing of what we're already doing, and the game goes nowhere. Arch-Wing is just going to add another disconnected facet of the game, instead of making the running, the shooting, the level navigation, better and more meaningful. I like WF still but it feels like it's been in stasis since I started playing it. Clan Halls, Kuboro, Melee 2.0, Arch-Wing, the half dozen new mission types....all of it has felt like a distraction from putting the last pieces into the core gameplay that complete it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:56 pm »

I've gotta agree on the melee 2.0 bit there. Its fun (and pretty cool), but unless you're solo (and getting the non-existent stealth bonus) you get to a point where you might as well pull out your gun instead because the damn alert is set off and you can only melee so many opponents at once before you're getting shot down by the other buggers over there that you probably should've shot first (or its a survival map and you get lolnope'd by the cluster of rocket-firing grineer because you have dual melee out instead of a gorgon wraith or somethin.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:46:36 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 14, 2014, 09:43:04 am »

• Difficulty = more HP and damage from enemies (and more enemies). Yes, I know, all MMOs are guilty of this, but I found it especially blaring in Warframe. "Oh. I see. My weapon, which previously punched through enemies in one shot, appears to take 3 hits to kill these guys who look exactly the same. Fantastic."
  • Enemies seem incapable of missing with ranged weapons no matter how fast you're moving, which renders dodging pretty useless.
  • Stealth is... not an option. It's nearly nonexistent. "If we're space ninjas, why do we all go in guns blazing?"
I'll have to disagree with you on these points. The increase in health also accompanies the introduction of new types of enemies (Lancers -> Troopers -> Hellions etc.) that have new strengths, weaknesses, and patterns. I just got to Mars and I already hate Corpus Technicians and their damn drones. On top of that, higher-tier gear has stats to match the increase in health, providing upgrades instead of just sidegrades.

Enemies are ridiculously inept at shooting at moving targets. When I was invited to an excavation alert on Ceres I found that the best way to contribute was to grab a power core and just sprint (and slide, wall-run, roll-jump etc.) through the crowds of Grineer until I reached an excavator.

Stealth is definitely an option, especially if you're running solo. Enemies have barely any peripheral vision, both the Paris and the Kunai are silent weapons and there are mods to 'muffle' other weapons, and Tenno have the Ninja Run perk. Whether other players will actually realise that you're trying to be stealthy is another matter.

The sell for the original game idea had a bigger stealth focus and, you might notice, lotus will talk about how you haven't been detected when you're in the level and haven't gotten into a real fight with anyone.
I imagine that has to do with clearing a room without triggering the alarms. The alarms let every enemy know your exact location and increase the spawn rate on anything but Extermination. I've found that a semi-stealthy approach can make a mission much easier.

EDIT: That said, the core gameplay definitely needs tweaking. The controls can feel unresponsive at times, especially when sprinting and/or blocking is involved. I'd love the logic behind whether you were going to climb a ledge or backflip off it was reversed. I'd like it if the hostages in Rescues didn't act like dopey children. I'd really like to buy the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:02:55 am by NobodyPro »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #476 on: October 14, 2014, 09:47:43 am »

Yeah, a group of players all running stealth is amazing fun. Running around popping enemies before they get a chance to react, tackling any who manage to make a run for the alarm beacon and stabbing them in the spine.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 14, 2014, 11:37:37 am »

@NobodyPro

- My Rhino (once I got it) had terrible health compared to my high-level Loki and died three times faster. Had to grind it.
- 99.9% of players don't care about even TRYING to run stealth, so it really isn't an option unless you play solo.
- If you claim you weren't taking constant damage while sprinting/wallrunning/rolling through those Grineer... just... no. I have attempted the same thing on numerous occasions, and it was my shields and health that saved me, not the fact that their shots were missing.
- Dodging actually halves damage you take while you're rolling (makes no sense), so it's not pointless, but why would they implement a damage reduction if the point was to avoid getting hit in the first place. The answer is because enemies have aimbot.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:12:34 pm by Nighthawk »

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 14, 2014, 01:44:07 pm »

I don't have many problems evading enemy fire while running through a crowded room, the occasional shot will get through, but generally nothing that would worry me. Cant comment on stealth since frankly I am not very good at it in WF :(

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 14, 2014, 03:51:48 pm »

Something must have changed since I played, because I know I sprinted everywhere I went, and it was basically constant damage as long as I was within line of sight of any enemies.

EDIT - I'm sorry again for my ranting. I tend to be overcritical of games that have left me butthurt somehow, and Warframe ended up being one of those simply because it didn't live up to my excessively high standards.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:52:12 pm by Nighthawk »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 133