Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 245064 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2013, 07:14:44 am »

Infested were used as a bio-weapon by the Orokin in the war against the Sentients, who are speculated to be machines but honestly nothing is known about them. They failed, then the tennos came back from the void with the results described in Stalker's codex entry.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2013, 11:53:12 am »

I guess it's not so much a sequel as much as it is "what this should have been in the first place", but I've noticed a few things that were inspired by both the original concept and the actual game. I actually have no idea how dark sector would even fit into the lore, I only heard that the developers made references to it before. Which is expected, really, since they made both games.

There's a page that lists the known references on the wiki if anyone's interested.

Anyways, I finally got an Orthos, I'll have to level it a bit to fit mods on it though. Also, do Titan Extractors heal on their own, or do I have to make new ones to replace those that break?

*snip*
E: Or not, turns out one of the materials I'll need is all they way on Neptune.

If you can manage to get a hold of an orokin tower key, control modules drop there at a decent rate, and the tier 1 keys are much much easier then neptune. They drop rarely from defense mission wave rewards and survival missions at 15 minutes (they're currently a touch bugged and levels are scaling up at a pretty rediculous pace in them, though so I'd reccomend not trying that now)

I have a Tower I Mobile Defense Key, but I have no idea how the ranking system works for them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2013, 01:55:39 pm »

Also, do Titan Extractors heal on their own, or do I have to make new ones to replace those that break?

You've got to make a new one. Currently there is no way to do anything with damaged Extractors. So you might as well send busted ones off to die. They aren't even necessarily pulling in enough resources to sometimes to cover their own construction (not really a problem if you've been playing a while but....)

DE is aware of the shortcomings, so changes are probably coming soon. Primarily that we'll be able to run more than 1 at a time.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:18:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2013, 07:52:33 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing. They've said in the past that warframe is not a direct sequel timeline wise, but... they've also said in the much more distant past that it is. Soooo we're not really sure! Probably isn't for now, anyway.

Infested were used as a bio-weapon by the Orokin in the war against the Sentients, who are speculated to be machines but honestly nothing is known about them. They failed, then the tennos came back from the void with the results described in Stalker's codex entry.

Also yeah, this is almost certainly true.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2013, 04:23:35 am »

Incidentally, a member of the dev team of warframe died recently. We don't know who it is and asking/speculating is banhammer-worthy.
This week's livestreams (prime time and such) are delayed.
Condolences thread are hidden to prevent disrespectful speculation, but are still readable by the staff (who appreciate greatly, or so I've been told by the mod who hid my thread)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:54:08 am by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2013, 10:47:55 am »

Wow, major bummer.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2013, 10:14:02 pm »

Actually, it seems that it was one of their family members, not one of the dev team.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2013, 11:22:38 pm »

Not much better, but at the risk of sounding like an insensitive jerk, it's at least nice to know that game development will not be effected in the long term.

On another note, Valkyr is pretty awesome, and while you can't really play her ike a berserker, the theme certainly works thematically at least. Paralysis is a nice quick 5 energy stun, good for prepping an enemy for melee (although the stun could stand to be a little longer I think).

Hysteria, much like bladestorm seems to be more flash then effectiveness, but I could see it being positively brutal in some situations. Stomp outdoes it like always but what DOESN'T stomp outdo? Especially now that molecular prime got the range on the explosions nerfed.

Ripline honestly seems kind've eh, but maybe I'm just a cold hearted jerk that doesn't enjoy zipping around through the air gunning people down from the sky.

I regularly forget warcry exists, but it seems to be a pretty amazing buff if you can deal with the increased attck speed (seriously, why does every single weapon take a single step forward on a normal attack? It makes excessive attack speed more of a hindrence then a help when you're constantly stepping past the enemy to savage the air), as it buffs it by like 50%. Armor goes up a pretty significant amount too, I believe also 50%. Lowers enemy speed by 20%. Maybe valkyr is meant to be the "anti armor nerf frame", for lack of a less horrid phrase. I could get along with that.

But yeah valkyr is a fun and perfectly effective frame if you've got the stuff to make a health build work (vitality, steel fiber, probably vigor, equilibrium is really nice and maybe mandatory now too, quick thinking + rage if you're feeling a little cheaty)!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2013, 12:47:29 am »

Took me forever, but I finally completed a tower solo! I probably should have just asked someone for help. But I got myself a Boar Prime schematic from it. No other parts for it, unfortunately. Plus it seems like every mod I got in that tower was for sentinels.

I had to play pretty conservatively to get through it, and I was really feeling the strain on my Lato; it could barely chip the Corrupted's health. But I've replaced my Braton with a Burston, which works pretty well at mid-range. Too much recoil to fight long-range effectively, though. The Orthos is pretty good too, if a bit slow for my liking. No polarity slots though, which kind of sucks.

On a side note, I've seen a few Valkyr running around, and it seems that most people use ripline for mobility than for offense.

E: Wow, didn't read the last few replies. If I was able to I'd offer my condolences.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:51:50 am by BlackFlyme »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2013, 01:16:46 am »

I will back up the burston as a weapon that un deservedly gets a bad wrap. I loved it while I had it. The hind is a pretty direct upgrade if you ever feel it slowing down.

And another thing I forgot to mention about Valkyr's ult is that you can control it, and as such focus down big targets, unlike most other ults in the game. A valkyr focusing on a single target does more damage then basically any other ability in the game, even without power mods.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2013, 09:34:13 am »

On another note, Valkyr is pretty awesome, and while you can't really play her ike a berserker, the theme certainly works thematically at least. Paralysis is a nice quick 5 energy stun, good for prepping an enemy for melee (although the stun could stand to be a little longer I think)

Heh, I think you're the only person who thinks so, I've heard most other people say it's pretty much the new worst frame. I don't have it so I can't really judge, but between super, super low shields and the massive armor nerf from damage 2.0 I can understand where they are coming from.

(seriously, why does every single weapon take a single step forward on a normal attack? It makes excessive attack speed more of a hindrence then a help when you're constantly stepping past the enemy to savage the air)

In your options is something like "melee lock" or "melee assist" or something like that, it helps a lot with the stepping past your enemy thing.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2013, 09:56:21 am »

hmm, you know I hadn't thought about that.I actually haven't run into the super high aspd issue yet, so it'll be interesting to see how much that helps! It certainly does with hysteria.

And yeah, she's fragile... ish, but with a good steel fiber it's not too bad. I could see it crumpling in high end survival and defense, but not a lot of frames do amazingly well there either. I'm inclined to think it's just people not used to health as opposed to shields. To be fair it can be quite a shock! I ran an ash health build before valkyr came out, so I've had practice for a while.

Hysteria does rediculous damage, and unlike other ults has a use beyond crowd control! Whether that use is... useful while packing a soma/other big stuff is another question entirely, but it's enough for me!

But yeah, as long as armor works as it does now in 2.0, Valkyr will never get really amazing. She could probably use a health buff, at least up to 150 I'd say. I don't think DE understands, as much as I love them, how much health builds have to fight uphill to be even vaguely even to a shield build.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2013, 12:45:06 pm »

They seem to have forgotten that health does not regenerate like shields.... and also they nerfed the red orb drop in the same patch that introduced valkyr.

Meanwhile they also nerfed the blue orb drop (and made blue orbs from chests only give 25 not 50) so you can't even really justify giving up E-siphon for whatever the health regen aura is called.

They should probably just add a moderately common personal-only slow health regen mod. Would solve some of the problems anyway, and more mod variety is better (not my idea, stolen from the official forum)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2013, 01:21:01 pm »

more mod variety is meh, knowing that there is, for ten slots, four abilities, two to four health/shield mandatory mods, and two to four power mods. In fact there is NO ROOM whatsoever for "fun mods". Maybe you'll be able to stick a heavy impact or a speed mod or two, but that's it.

This needs to be solved.

As for health tanking, the DC warned DE that Valkyr needed a health regen, most likely by lifesteal, or she wouldn't be viable. She didn't get a lifesteal, and guess what? She's deemed to be one of the worst warframes yet (behind V1 Mag).
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 133