Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon lord dwarfs don't get unhappy thoughts from being taken off duty?  (Read 1744 times)

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got a few weapon lords in my fort. I just watched a mace lord beat up a giant echidna. When he was finished, he went off duty. But he didn't get an unhappy thought about being a lord taken off duty. Does that unhappy thought still happen? Has anybody seen it in 34.11?

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a dwarf becomes a certain skill in a weapon (I think it is master) they no longer get unhappy thoughts of a long duty.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great+ weapondwarves no longer get a bad thought from long duty.

But they will get a VERY VERY bad thought from going off duty.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great+ weapondwarves no longer get a bad thought from long duty.

What I'm asking is if anybody has seen this VERY VERY bad thought from going off duty. I haven't seen it, just followed two legendary weapon lords, one mace, one sword, neither got a bad thought from being taken off duty.

So has anybody seen this happen in 34.11, or is this one of those myths?

Maybe the bad thought is for weapon lords who turn into peasants?

Back in the olden days, a soldier would not do any civilian work after becoming legendary, right? But it's not like that any more. I haven't seen the bad thought from going off duty for a weapon lord who has a civ skill over novice. I don't have any peasant weapon lords to test with.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure it's still true. Unhappy from going off duty is for soldiers without civilian skill, unhappy about the draft for civilians without soldier skills.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure it's still true. Unhappy from going off duty is for soldiers without civilian skill, unhappy about the draft for civilians without soldier skills.
Why are you pretty sure? Have you seen a weapon lord dwarf being unhappy about being taken off duty? I haven't seen it in 34.11.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

Why are you pretty sure? Have you seen a weapon lord dwarf being unhappy about being taken off duty? I haven't seen it in 34.11.

I don't have a weapon lord in 34.11 yet :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Have you seen a weapon lord dwarf being unhappy about being taken off duty? I haven't seen it in 34.11.
Do you have any weapon lords who'd be peasants if taken off-duty?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

This is absolute nonsense.

The only time a soldier gets an unhappy thought from being relieved of duty is when it becomes a Peasant (i.e. no civilian skills).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think there's a difference between 'going off duty' due to the squad schedule having no orders for the current month compared to being removed from the squad (i.e. being relieved from duty). I've never seen unhappy thoughts from scheduled idling of Lords/Masters... Completely removing them from military duty after all their other skills have decayed (or if they didn't have any to begin with, which seems more common), is a different story, though. Make sure they have some assigned labors (and if possible, at least some level of skill in them) if you're going to retire them.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So much nonsense and lack of reading comprehension in this thread. Guy asks about bad thoughts from going off duty and the first two responses are about being drafted. That's kind of the exact opposite situation. Garath and Quietust have the only correct and informative posts in the thread. No military skills? Bad thought from being drafted. No civilian skills? Bad thought from going off duty. That's all.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm trying to use off-duty soldiers for hauling. That way when the dwarfs are out there picking up goblin socks, and more goblins arrive, hopefully some of the dwarfs will be soldiers and can fight back.

One weird thing I noticed was what happened to the mace lord. He's in one of the attack squads, who are sent to beat up anything that arrives on the map.

I sent the squad to attack monster1. The combat reports showed the mace lord Tulon attacking monster1. Nothing unusual there. Then monster1 was dead, and Tulon turned into a pump operator.

Then I sent them to kill monster2 who had just arrived. Very strangely, the combat reports now showed that Tulon was a macedwarf instead of a lord! Then monster2 was dead, Tulon turned back into a pumpy.

Then I sent them to kill monster3, and the combat reports said that Tulon is a mace lord again. How could he switch from mace lord to macedwarf and then back to lord? Wacky. This was all in about 10 minutes, so I don't think his skills rusted from legendary to something which wouldn't make him a lord any more.

So I thought that I might have a problem with legendary soldiers being haulers if they get bad thoughts, but that doesn't happen. But this weird switching from being a lord to not being a lord, then back to lord again, seems to turn off all their civilian jobs, so I may have to follow them around and keep turning their jobs back on if  they keep switching away and back to lord. Hopefully that won't happen again.

Has anybody else seen a dwarf switch from lord, to normal, and back to lord? It seems like that shouldn't be able to happen.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

That's another known bug - when a weapon lord is temporarily taken off duty, it returns as a normal weapon user until it gains enough experience to become a weapon lord again.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's another known bug - when a weapon lord is temporarily taken off duty, it returns as a normal weapon user until it gains enough experience to become a weapon lord again.
So does that turn off all their jobs again?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

So does that turn off all their jobs again?
Yes, as stated in a comment on said bug report.

[edit] I've just posted a binary patch to fix that behavior in Win32 DF v0.34.11 SDL.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:40:23 pm by Quietust »