Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killed a lot of wildlife got no leather  (Read 3793 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killed a lot of wildlife got no leather
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:54 pm »

Okay so i need some bags, i'de liek to make them myself. At first i thought i would have to wait for a caravan or something but then i started getting sieged by Capuchin monkeys and i've been slaughetering about 10 of them along with a wolverine and my useless pack animal but i have not got any hides despite having a butcher. Do i also need a tanning workshop if i'm go get hides ?

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killed a lot of wildlife got no leather
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:55:48 pm »

Yes you need a tanner's workshop, and a tanner. You can also make bags out of cloth, or even wood or metal. (But they are called chests if they are wood or metal). Or rock coffers!

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:00:16 am »

Yes but do i neeed teh tanner for the hide or skin to come into existence? I know i need a tanner but there is no presence of any hide.

Also i cannot find a stockpile item for Skin's hides except under refuse>item types> rotten/fresh hides.

This refuse catagory is exceedingly general and if i allow it for hides it must allow it for all catagories of furnature and seeds. I could have hides laying around all over the place but without a stringent enough stockpile catagory how will i find them?

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:07:16 am »

This refuse catagory is exceedingly general and if i allow it for hides it must allow it for all catagories of furnature and seeds. I could have hides laying around all over the place but without a stringent enough stockpile catagory how will i find them?

You can make a custom refuse stockpile, by pressing "p" then "t", then scroll down to refuse. You'll notice there are two entries for hides  in the "Item Types" group, "Fresh Raw Hide" and "Rotten Raw Hide". So probably select fresh raw hides, and make a stockpile next to your tanner's workshop.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:29:05 am »

You can make a custom refuse stockpile, by pressing "p" then "t", then scroll down to refuse. You'll notice there are two entries for hides  in the "Item Types" group, "Fresh Raw Hide" and "Rotten Raw Hide". So probably select fresh raw hides, and make a stockpile next to your tanner's workshop.

Ahh you have to hit the enter key to enable it. Each teir of catagory previously had an enable disable, the second tier is permit/don't permit. The third tier has not special entry key.

wow this interface.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:15:49 am »

Ahh you have to hit the enter key to enable it. Each teir of catagory previously had an enable disable, the second tier is permit/don't permit. The third tier has not special entry key.

wow this interface.

I think I've heard this before

Some animals might also be too small to produce leather. Kittens for example tend to be too small.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 01:26:42 am »

I think I've heard this before

Some animals might also be too small to produce leather. Kittens for example tend to be too small.

Once i figured this out i was able to recover leather from somewhere on teh ground. The problem is wrestling with this interface.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:38:13 am »

The problem is wrestling with this interface.

I don't have the heart to tell him that's the easy part.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:55:32 am »

1. That particular list doesn't control what ends up in the refuse stockpile. I have an idea about what it does, but I'm going to test it before speculating.
2. It's better to not have a stockpile at all for fresh raw hides, instead building the tannery right next to the butcher's. The reason for this is that skin rots very quickly, and hauling takes time. Better to have the tanner respond first and take the raw skin directly from the butcher's.
3. You don't need to be stringent about stockpile settings. Enabling the whole refuse category will make every hide on the map a valid target for hauling to the stockpile. But, it'll also make every skull and hoof and bit of cartilage a valid target for hauling to the stockpile, and depending how much space you allocated and how much other refuse you have you might find the stockpile taken up by things that aren't hide.
4. You don't need to know where items are for them to be useable or haulable. You can find out by using the bookkeeper to make the stocks screen accurate enough, but the dwarves know where everything on the map is. Everything.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:21:59 am »

I don't even make refuse stockpiles at all.  (I believe I'm in the minority, though.)  As Sutremaine says, they'll take the skin directly from the butcher's shop to the tannery, if they are built close to each other.  And if you queue up "make totem" or "make bone bolts" at a craftdwarf's shop, they'll take the skulls/bones from anywhere.  I tend to make lots and lots of craftdwarf's shops -- two or three by the butcher's shop for bone/hoof/skull/tooth processing, one by the woodpile for wooden bolts, one in a stone stockpile for making large pots and nest boxes, etc.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:46:00 am »

I do make refuse (also enable corpses from the leftmost column) stockpiles, but disable all the skulls, bones, hoof, horns, shells, and yarn/wool categories, and also fresh raw hides. Then have the tanners and a craftsdwarf workshop or two right next to the butcher. Although the tanner is the important one, might change to having a railway quantum stockpile the bones somewhere. Sometimes I do use separate refuse stockpiles for bone carvers with only their materials enabled, or similar for yarn/wool for a farmers workshop. No stockpiles anywhere for the raw hides though.

I think all (at least all domestic) adult animals give 1 skin(well, adolescent cats sometimes don't, maybe). I just saw a puppy skin a couple of days ago too.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 09:09:03 am »

DF's cats are labelled adults at 1 year old but they aren't fully grown until 2 years.  Unfortunately there is no way to tell the age of an animal in your fortress.  (Hell, on half the screens with animal lists, you can't even tell the sex... and you can't name them, so you can't work around it that way either....)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:52:24 am »

DF's cats are labelled adults at 1 year old but they aren't fully grown until 2 years.  Unfortunately there is no way to tell the age of an animal in your fortress.  (Hell, on half the screens with animal lists, you can't even tell the sex... and you can't name them, so you can't work around it that way either....)

I'm considering adding a ", m"/", f" marker to the raws for the names of adult animals in cases where you can't tell by the name already. At least dogs (maybe bitch for females), cats (tomcat for males), horses (stallion/mare) and other domesticated animals. I mean, you can tell between them at a glance in real life, and the game already does this for you for bovines, pigs, reindeer, and strangely enough, cavies. For puppies/kittens, I can tolerate it and consider it immersion: even vets get kittens' genders wrong.

What annoys me is that on half the screens (units-pets/livestock), you can't tell the sex; on the other half (stocks-animals) you can't tell whether they're in cages/pastured or not.  >:(

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 11:49:49 am »

What do you mean ? I repelled two, TWO Cappucin sieges ? This is the nightmare i've been subjected to on the banks of the forest brook i call home http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Wju&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1680&bih=872&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=WP9eZ5Jb7B553M:&imgrefurl=http://www.monkey-pictures.net/capuchin_monkey_pictures.html&docid=doWJkNX_U2t4gM&imgurl=http://www.monkey-pictures.net/capuchin-2.jpg&w=360&h=294&ei=tebpT9_dL6O18AHdsbCRDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=695&vpy=190&dur=5351&hovh=203&hovw=248&tx=159&ty=113&sig=109511749825800719403&page=1&tbnh=152&tbnw=186&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:150

One of those fkers got jacked up in my chalk rock trap. Didn't make it 10 steps before collapsing after having most of it's limbs shattered. I loved watching that little bastard limp away in agony. Your not coming into my house!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:40 pm »

Monkeys in clothing to trick goblin snatchers... brilliant!  But how are you rigging them to explode after they leave the map?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2